Flash diffusion for macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernards

Feb 17, 2004
Need some advice. I am currently using diffuser cap with my flash for insect macro. But I find the output way too harsh for this purpose.

Any macro kung fu master got a tip to share on how to diffuse the light for a soft look on tiny creatures?

Never taken insects, just items. I held a piece of normal A4 paper between the flash and the object. Maybe that can help you also.

Need some advice. I am currently using diffuser cap with my flash for insect macro. But I find the output way too harsh for this purpose.

Any macro kung fu master got a tip to share on how to diffuse the light for a soft look on tiny creatures?

Reduce your flash ouput by using flash compensation.

i had had a little experience taking insects...now change focus to butterflies only =\ i am using a normally diffuser cap on my sb600, the flash is only used as a fill to balance the bg and the foreground, unless its out facing direct sunlight, my flash is always at -2.0 to -3.0, with the camera's settings compensated down to -2.0. i have tried to use the flash as a lightsource and put it to +3 so that i can increase my shutterspeed and aperture but it doesnt work that way. will always get harsh lighting with all sorts of reflections.
hope this helps u mate =D

put a piece of tissue inside your diffuser... not enuff, put more...

else you can get those modifiers that give even softer light than omnibounce. lumiquest etc...

or invest in a ring flash... but still need to know how to make it softer...

Thanks all. A4 paper and tissue paper sounds so easy and practical.

The Olympus E3 responds very strangely to dialing down. The images becomes underexposed and very harsh. I have not had time to sit down and test various combinations, but diffusing the flash by bounce works well. Unfortunately, you can't bounce in the forest.

I don't mind buying a ring flash. I am just afraid the results won't be much different from a well placed unit. Do you have any experience and find ring flashes work better for little objects?

Thanks all. A4 paper and tissue paper sounds so easy and practical.

The Olympus E3 responds very strangely to dialing down. The images becomes underexposed and very harsh. I have not had time to sit down and test various combinations, but diffusing the flash by bounce works well. Unfortunately, you can't bounce in the forest.

I don't mind buying a ring flash. I am just afraid the results won't be much different from a well placed unit. Do you have any experience and find ring flashes work better for little objects?

ring flash will give you a more even light distribution compared to having a single source above.

you should try with tissue 1st on coins or some small toys.

Thanks a lot DCA. I am trying to find more information between ring and twin flash. Surprising dry on that subject around here. I guess a purpose designed flash will yield better results.

Thanks a lot DCA. I am trying to find more information between ring and twin flash. Surprising dry on that subject around here. I guess a purpose designed flash will yield better results.

depends lah, i'll be testing a bigger ring flash for product soon... will post test result soon...

ring flash vs twin flash is that the twin macro flash you can adjust the angle as they are detachable and some comes with angle arms.

ring flash is only infront of lens, and depending on the manufacturer, some is full circle, some is 4 tubes, some only 2 on the sides.

My macro light setup is either Sigma Ring flash (2 tube) or Nikon SB600 on macro flash bracket. If need, extra slave flash will be deploy too.

Different situation, it will need different light setup.

At a start, don't invest on a macro flash, just start with a external flash and learn how to balance the flash output vs the natural light.

My macro light setup is either Sigma Ring flash (2 tube) or Nikon SB600 on macro flash bracket. If need, extra slave flash will be deploy too.

Different situation, it will need different light setup.

At a start, don't invest on a macro flash, just start with a external flash and learn how to balance the flash output vs the natural light.

actually wanted to ask what is a macro flash bracket, haha, google it instead

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/closeup-macro-flash-brackets.html

I was actually going to test the various diffusion methods in the field today. Unfortunately it started pouring 5 mins after I setup my gear. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.