Flash Diffuser

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyloh

Nov 14, 2006
Hi all,

I am a newbie. Like to know what is a flash diffuser? And what is the purpose of it? Is it the White color cap that is attach to the tip of the flash?

Thanks

Hi all,

I am a newbie. Like to know what is a flash diffuser? And what is the purpose of it? Is it the White color cap that is attach to the tip of the flash?

Thanks

The white cap is called an omnibounce. Mainly diffusers are to spread out the light more evenly and wider so that it would not appear as a harsh bright spot, similar to lights in a room.

Other diffusers available are WhaleTail, Lightsphere, bounce card and the 'sock'.

The white cap is called an omnibounce. Mainly diffusers are to spread out the light more evenly and wider so that it would not appear as a harsh bright spot, similar to lights in a room.

Other diffusers available are WhaleTail, Lightsphere, bounce card and the 'sock'.

Hi, Thanks for your help. Then what is the use of a omnibounce?

Hi, Thanks for your help. Then what is the use of a omnibounce?

It is used to diffuse the flash output esp when you use it for bounce flash lighting. Some use it to diffuse the flash output when used directly as well.

Does that mean with Omnibounce, just shoot direct? No need to tilt 45 deg no more.

Does that mean with Omnibounce, just shoot direct? No need to tilt 45 deg no more.

You can still pretty much do everything with the Omnibounce. Can still reflect off ceiling, can shoot 45 deg, can shoot direct... It's what you are trying to accomplish.

i have a bounce card but i think the effect is not so nice.

I am thinking whether to get Demb, omnibounce, whaletail or lightsphere.

i have a bounce card but i think the effect is not so nice.

I am thinking whether to get Demb, omnibounce, whaletail or lightsphere.

I've an omnibounce and a WhaleTail. Omnibouce for general shoots while my WhaleTail's dedicated for my model shoots.

i'm using a lightsphere and i love it coz the lighting output is more natural and rounded

I used to have the lightsphere before upgrading to the WhaleTail. I find the results are better and is a more versatile diffuser.

Can i say Lightsphere is better than omnibounce ?

It's bigger and throw the light more evenly, but the size is not a good thing if you want to be in the background and not stand out.

which diffuser is better if it is used for outdoor modeling shoot?

In fact i have some concerns over buying of diffuser(s) because I will use my flash unit for these purposes:
1. indoor casual party
2. indoor with speaker on stage
3. banquet dinner (high ceiling)
4. outdoor model
5. product close-up

And on the other hand, i might consider buying another flash unit (SB900).

Last edited:
which diffuser is better if it is used for outdoor modeling shoot?

In fact i have some concerns over buying of diffuser(s) because I will use my flash unit for these purposes:
1. indoor casual party
2. indoor with speaker on stage
3. banquet dinner (high ceiling)
4. outdoor model
5. product close-up

And on the other hand, i might consider buying another flash unit (SB900).

I would suggest the WhaleTail. For #5, if your product is smaller than the flash head, even a direct flash will do without a diffuser.

It's bigger and throw the light more evenly, but the size is not a good thing if you want to be in the background and not stand out.

You are right... I just purchase a Lightsphere for my 580EX2, even though it produce great lighting... it reduce my mobility during an event shooting... :(

then wat abt a diffuser cap? good or not

Status
Not open for further replies.