flash diffuser for compact camera flash

heshanj

Aug 18, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
pixelogist.me
hey guys
i just switched from my Sony RX100 to the Fuji X20, and one thing I really got used to on the Sony was the very nice bounce flash effect that could be got by pushing the little flash head backwards. I'd really like to get this sort of look with the X20 too, but obviously bouncing is out as the popup flash is fixed...but I was wondering if there was any diffuser of sorts that would attach to the flash? I tried searching but could only find a bunch of diffusers that attach to DSLR pop-up flashes. I'd like to keep things as compact as possible. I keep imagining a little white cap that fits on top of the X20's pop-up but I can't find anything like this! Even DIY solutions are fine, but I'd like to avoid using Kleenex and tape on my pretty X20!

Thanks guys!

use tissue.

eleveninth said:
use tissue.

Sometime when using my compact and a need to use the flash, will try to use either tissue or thin sheet of white paper.

ah yes, thanks guys. will use the tissue option as a last resort, if i cant find anything else. coz if i have a 'hardware' diffuser of sorts, it'll always be in my camera bag, but i might often forget a pack of tissue :D so if anyone has an idea of what i'm looking for, please let me know!

A small mirror to bounce the flash upwards to a larger white surface might do the trick. I usually use a piece of tissue though

thanks guys. i saw some tips on making a diffuser out of a ping pong ball or a white film canister. might try one of those out, but if not, looks like a little pack of tissue is going into my camera bag!

thanks guys. i saw some tips on making a diffuser out of a ping pong ball or a white film canister. might try one of those out, but if not, looks like a little pack of tissue is going into my camera bag!

oh ya forgot about the film canister one. lol

Name card works well also... U might wanna try..

ah thanks. will try. i didnt have much luck with the tissue, the results were pretty similar to the ones with the X20's direct flash. maybe name card will do a better job, lets see!

ah yeah, i saw that too. looks rather horrible, though :D then again, the film canister woudlnt look too great either. maybe i'll measure my lens diameter n see if it'd work :p

What you are doing is just cutting down power of the flash and wasting batteries. The light source remain relatively in the same position and same size so for normal people photography its not going to make visible differences other than a lower power light. It might help if you are doing macro and close ups of small object when you are bring that diffuser very close to a small object. Otherwise for normal usage, its does not work. Might as well just dial a -1 or -2 on the flash power, that way the user will still look intelligent too.

interesting point, JasonB. but doesn't diffusing it give the flash a softer a look? less harsh than direct flash, even if powered down to -1 or -2? i'm very inexperienced with flash photography, so i really can't say anything for sure, but the first time i really got some nice-looking flash results was with the RX100's flash bounced, and i thought this could be achieved with a compact flash diffuser too