Flash Diffuser and Omnibounce

ShawnKohJyhShen

Jun 22, 2010
Sengkang
Hi,

Im really new to flash so i have this question.

what is the difference between an Omnibounce and a Diffuser?

thanks

Omnibounce is one of the Flash Diffuser...

Yup, there are many types of diffuser.. to diffuse the light from the flash, so as to not give harsh lighting...

some are plastic caps to put over the flash.. often known as tupperware diffusers.. ahha..

others are white cards to bounce light in a certain direction.. others are like the gary fong lightsphere..

the Omnibounce is a nicer name for tupperware diffuser..

Yup, there are many types of diffuser.. to diffuse the light from the flash, so as to not give harsh lighting...

some are plastic caps to put over the flash.. often known as tupperware diffusers.. ahha..

others are white cards to bounce light in a certain direction.. others are like the gary fong lightsphere..

the Omnibounce is a nicer name for tupperware diffuser..

Actually I thought the term "tupperware diffusers" is referring to garryfong lightsphere lookalikes...

Because they look like tupperware. And some people actually got around the same effect with those disposable containers used for taobao food... Just cut a hole put the flash head through, and use gaffer tape and tape it tight.

Last edited:
I normally refer them as "light modifier", because not all of them diffuse light. For example my snoot actually would give a harsh lighting.

At the end, it is the effect that you are going for... :)

For me even though I dun always use the omnibounce, it's often in my bag. ;)

Actually I thought the term "tupperware diffusers" is referring to garryfong lightsphere lookalikes...

Because they look like tupperware. And some people actually got around the same effect with those disposable containers used for taobao food... Just cut a hole put the flash head through, and use gaffer tape and tape it tight.

Got alot of different size tupperware.. LOL.. my mum used to buy and sell to colleagues~!! lol..

ya, but use the disposable container quite transparent type so wont get the same effect ya??

ya, but use the disposable container quite transparent type so wont get the same effect ya??

For the effect I can't confirm (as I never used disposable container before), but I can confirm that it's not as durable as the real thing.

For the effect I can't confirm (as I never used disposable container before), but I can confirm that it's not as durable as the real thing.

ya.. i guess.. and may leave your flash smelling like char kuay teow~!

ya.. i guess.. and may leave your flash smelling like char kuay teow~!

But sometimes you got no choice cause the solution is not available commercial :(

Eg. I literally use a 'tupperware' for my Lumix LX3 popup flash to diffuse the light.

Definitely not a recommended solution but hey, anyone wanna see it? XD

sorry to add-on, may i ask a noob question?

Does Omnibounce need an external surface (wall / ceiling) to bounce the light?

That was what a guy on the street told me sometime ago, when i was taking an outdoor pic, with the omnibounce on my external flash at 45 degrees. He said i should be better of using the Lightsphere.... :dunno:

But sometimes you got no choice cause the solution is not available commercial :(

Eg. I literally use a 'tupperware' for my Lumix LX3 popup flash to diffuse the light.

Definitely not a recommended solution but hey, anyone wanna see it? XD

i used before plastic cup at a BBQ, tissue paper in a jazz bar, white card in my aunts house.. dessert bowl at a pool-side party before.. you can be creative if you need to..

Never try before, so don't know... :dunno:

Beside, I always opt for plastic bag instead of the plastic bowl for my takeaway...;p

ya must be helping to save the environment~!! great job..

sorry to add-on, may i ask a noob question?

Does Omnibounce need an external surface (wall / ceiling) to bounce the light?

That was what a guy on the street told me sometime ago, when i was taking an outdoor pic, with the omnibounce on my external flash at 45 degrees. He said i should be better of using the Lightsphere.... :dunno:

if you don't have anything to bounce the light then you point up the flash, then no light will fall on ur subject ma..

so if out on the street might as well point the flash forward..