Flash compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
Hi Guys,

I got some question about flash compensation. I know I can adjust the flash output via my camera(40D) and also via the flash itself(580EXII). What happen if I adjust both of them at the same time? Will one cancel out the other settings or both will take effect? For example, if I adjust -1ev on camera and -1ev on the flash does it equals -2ev flash output?

Thanks

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
Sorry I can't help cos I dun have that flash.

Try and let us know?

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
Hi Guys,

I got some question about flash compensation. I know I can adjust the flash output via my camera(40D) and also via the flash itself(580EXII). What happen if I adjust both of them at the same time? Will one cancel out the other settings or both will take effect? For example, if I adjust -1ev on camera and -1ev on the flash does it equals -2ev flash output?

Thanks
Not sure about Canon. But Nikon one does add it up...

I forgot to re-adjust back my camera flash ev adjustment (-1.0) the other day and promptly fixed on my external flash (SB-800 already set at -2.0) for a few street shoots of cats and I found the pictures to be very dark... it took me a while before I remembered about the ev correction on the camera. When I removed it, the pictures went back to the correct feel I was familiar with.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
Thanks guys..

So what is the best practise? Adjust in camera or the flash itself?

Shin Howard

Feb 18, 2008
North Eastern Region
Hi m3lv1nh0,

I've the same configuration, which you can adjust on both the camera & the flash gun itself. I normally change the exposure on the camera, in case of quick adjustment then I change on the flash gun which will overwrite the settings on the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom