Flash commander mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze

Jun 10, 2008
Hi, does the Nikon D40's flash have a flash commander mode?
Where is it located?

Read in a thread, about this mode on the D80...

Thank you :)

No... D40 does not have the commander mode.

Only D70 and above has this function.

No... D40 does not have the commander mode.

Only D70 and above has this function.

Thanks for your information...

This commander mode is actually used for what purpose... Cause this function seem useful.
Since D40 don't have this function, what alternative can be used to achieve same result?

Thank you. :)

This commander mode is actually used for what purpose... Cause this function seem useful.
Since D40 don't have this function, what alternative can be used to achieve same result?

You can fire off other Nikon flashes SB600/ SB800 from a distance using infra red.

You dont have to walk to the flash to adjust the setting. Just adjust on yr camera.

By putting a SB-800 and setting it as the flash commander, you can achieve the same effect.

A SU-800 is also a flash commander.

To add on...

Nikon CLS AWL is capable of wireless flash techniques which is iTTL capable. Most other wireless systems are manual powered and you'd need basic lighting understanding to control the lighting properly.

With this Advanced Wireless Lighting (AWL), you can set up your lights remotedly and in different groups. I.e. group A to illuminate subject at iTTL setting and group B at -1.0 iTTL setting, etc....

sell D40 and upgrade...the commander mode is one of the most useful feature of the Nikon system...

although some will says can use SB800/SB900 to achieve the same effect but the built-in commander mode's power is much stronger than SB800/SB900.

a few day ago, I was doing a shoot. one of my fren had a D3 with SB800 set to commander and I was using my D700 with inbuilt flash as commander. The D700 can trigger 2 flashes not in a direct line of sight but the D3 at the same position can't do it! :)

sell D40 and upgrade...the commander mode is one of the most useful feature of the Nikon system...

although some will says can use SB800/SB900 to achieve the same effect but the built-in commander mode's power is much stronger than SB800/SB900.

a few day ago, I was doing a shoot. one of my fren had a D3 with SB800 set to commander and I was using my D700 with inbuilt flash as commander. The D700 can trigger 2 flashes not in a direct line of sight but the D3 at the same position can't do it! :)

Wow, I didn't realise that.
But then selling D40 to buy... say a D80, will effectively cost as much as much as adding an SB800 to the D40. For flash photography, I think that combo might work better.
In my opinion, D40 + SB800 (onboard) + SB600 (remote) would probably give better results than D80 + SB600 (remote).

Wow, I didn't realise that.
But then selling D40 to buy... say a D80, will effectively cost as much as much as adding an SB800 to the D40. For flash photography, I think that combo might work better.
In my opinion, D40 + SB800 (onboard) + SB600 (remote) would probably give better results than D80 + SB600 (remote).

agree, if TS can live without commander mode, why not? :)

ya... TS, if you can manage, live with the D40 for as long as possible...! :) It's truly a very capable camera for the price you pay.

Only if you have the spare cash and are itchy to upgrade, or you really find the D40 limiting your photography in some way, then should you consider upgrading.

hehehe then again, spending $ will help the economy and also add another D40 to the 'marketplace'. Sounds not bad!

Hi, thanks all bros for the informations...:)

Will not upgrade so soon, must know how to take good photos then will upgrade... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.