Flash brackets


Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Senior Member
Feb 10, 2003
1,864
0
36
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
#1
y do ppl wanna use a bracket (with flash) and shoot??? i mean mounting a flash beside the camera with a bracket, isn't the angle of the output is almost the same whether it is mounted on the camera itself or on a bracket??? Or does it has other kinda effects ???? :dunno:
 

zod

New Member
Mar 30, 2003
1,279
0
0
#2
i believe the flash that is mounted on the bracket is a slave flash unit. used cos the camera no hotshoe for ext flash
if the cam has hotshoe for ext flash though, then u gotta go ask the users :p
 

showtime

New Member
May 2, 2003
984
0
0
39
Singapore
Visit site
#3
zodnm said:
i believe the flash that is mounted on the bracket is a slave flash unit. used cos the camera no hotshoe for ext flash
if the cam has hotshoe for ext flash though, then u gotta go ask the users :p
i thought all slr cameras have hotshoe for external flash...
 

showtime

New Member
May 2, 2003
984
0
0
39
Singapore
Visit site
#4
there are a few reasons to explain the bracket flash...
1.) increase the overall guide number of the flash system. one unit mounted on the hot shoe, and another on the bracket... this allows the range of the flash to be increased...

2.) red eye reduction. when using a small flash, the tendency is for the light output to be direct into the subjects eyes... thus causing red eye. if the flash is bounced, red eye will be reduced but there will be significant loss of output depending on the distance of the bounced surface. if the flash is mounted high obove the hotshoe, this works too... most large flashes like nikon SB80 or 28 are high enougth... but small ones like SB23 might have this problem because its low...

the solution that many use is to use the bracket... it places the flash away from the lens so that the light that iluminated the subject is offset...

we either offset the flash higher than the lens, or to the side of the lens(flash bracket)...

3.) some high end brackets have the ability to rotate the camera body within them. so the flash is in the same position regardless of camera orientation. (horisontal or vertical)

if you see only one flash mounted, chances that its due to reason no. 2

hope this helps
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#5
West_ray said:
y do ppl wanna use a bracket (with flash) and shoot??? i mean mounting a flash beside the camera with a bracket, isn't the angle of the output is almost the same whether it is mounted on the camera itself or on a bracket??? Or does it has other kinda effects ???? :dunno:
The bracket is to prevent red-eye. Cos the flash will not flash directly into the eye.

But if you use the horseshoe on the camera itself and the flash is sufficiently high enough, it will also prevent the red eye.
 

showtime

New Member
May 2, 2003
984
0
0
39
Singapore
Visit site
#6
coke21 said:
The bracket is to prevent red-eye. Cos the flash will not flash directly into the eye.

But if you use the horseshoe on the camera itself and the flash is sufficiently high enough, it will also prevent the red eye.
i thought horse shoe is either for horses or for playing that game where we throw it...
hotshoe you mean... :bsmilie:
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#7
showtime said:
i thought horse shoe is either for horses or for playing that game where we throw it...
hotshoe you mean... :bsmilie:
Oops :embrass:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom