Flash Bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjyong

Dec 21, 2006
Hi,

I have seen many of the photographers using flash bracket when shooting, especially during events.

Wonder how does it really help? Can anyone share?

Thanks.

Cheers!

I was about to ask how many of u using it and got any recommendations on where to buy, how much and which models.

Btw, the flash bracket can help in 2 things:
1. bring up the flash unit much higher above the lens so that can greatly reduce redeye
2. when shoot in landscape, use L bracket. Then quickly convert to C bracket (by folding out the extension) when shoot in portrait. This will give flexibility to where your flash will be pointing. If never use C bracket, there will be a left or right side shadow behind your subject.

Oh...ic. Cos I wan thinking whether to get the nikon one or third party ones.
Any recommendations?

Hi cjyong

There are a few good 3rd party makers like RRS and Wimberly that makes flash bracket.
Heck. There are actually there are alot of makers out there, but not too sure if Nikon made any.

But just wondering what triggered you to get a flash bracket? You saw a limitation in ur current setup ?

Ryan

the main purpose of using (flip or rotating) Flash Bracket during events is to keep the flash always above the camera lens even shooting in portrait orientation, so it will not cast a ugly shadow at the side of your subjects for vertical shots.

another reason is to bring the flash further away from the lens, so it will not cause redeye effect if the flash are too close to the lens axis.

if you not always shooting events with direct flash or with omnibounce, and not always shooting Caucasian (very easy to get redeye effect compare to Asian). You need not to have a flash bracket.

Hi cjyong

There are a few good 3rd party makers like RRS and Wimberly that makes flash bracket.
Heck. There are actually there are alot of makers out there, but not too sure if Nikon made any.

But just wondering what triggered you to get a flash bracket? You saw a limitation in ur current setup ?

Ryan

Oh...cos what I am doing now is direct mounting of the flash to my camera, and most of the time when I shoot, especially during fashion show and the background is white, I get a very obvious shadow.

Heard of by mounting the flash further away frm the lens, I can give a better effect, so wanna ask for some opinons and try it.

Thanks for all the reply...hope that more can share about the type of bracket you are using and the feedbacks about them.
It will really help me in getting one suitable.
Thanks all!

Nikon actually has the SK-6/SK-6A flash brackets but the flash is fixed on left side of the body and its position cannot be changed. Are they still in production?

The RRS flash brackets look really useful and can be fitted onto any AS-compatible clamps but the brackets cost a bomb...

Status
Not open for further replies.