Flash: Bouncing off Black Surface

baggiolee

Dec 7, 2006
www.facebook.com
i notice that bouncing off a black surface seems to increase the ambient light (in the picture) and less harsh flash cast on the subject. it looks so much better than bouncing off white surface. anyone is using black bounce? :think:

i notice that bouncing off a black surface seems to increase the ambient light (in the picture) and less harsh flash cast on the subject. it looks so much better than bouncing off white surface. anyone is using black bounce? :think:

You are just wasting flash power that way. Might as well use a white surface, increase your set exposure, and reduce flash power.

that's not the real purpose of black bounce card, but if it works for you go ahead. :)

You do not understand flash. Keep shooting :)

Blackhole.

it might be a shiny black surface...

I just stick with a DIY tranluent bonuce card =)

Try this: take off the bounce card, keep the flash orientation the same. You'd get just about the same results. Most of your light is now probably coming from the light that goes around the black 'bounce card' and reflecting off the environment.

No offense but do you know why something is black in the first place?

I believe you are referring to a black bounce card and not the wall ....

The "On Camera Flash" book from Neil Van Niekerk did mention about this technique. He uses the black foamie thing to provide a directional light and without disturbing others.
This is his link talking about this black foamie thing......

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2009/11/21/the-black-foamie-thing/

The "On Camera Flash" book from Neil Van Niekerk did mention about this technique. He uses the black foamie thing to provide a directional light and without disturbing others.

Think they are two different thing. Neil is using it to block off stray direct flash onto his subject while bouncing off a wall but TS is bouncing his flash off the black card it self.

If you find that off a white surface your light is too harsh, your control of the flash power or flash exposure is wrong. (ie. too much)

Bouncing off a black surface is wasting flash power.

That foam thing is used to cut direct light, so the light does not irritate people around the photographer. The light is still shooting upwards and bouncing down back from the ceiling as the main source of light.

the common term use among photographers for that thingy is call "flag". was originated in cinematography.

Think they are two different thing. Neil is using it to block off stray direct flash onto his subject while bouncing off a wall but TS is bouncing his flash off the black card it self.

That foam thing is used to cut direct light, so the light does not irritate people around the photographer. The light is still shooting upwards and bouncing down back from the ceiling as the main source of light.

the common term use among photographers for that thingy is call "flag". was originated in cinematography.

OIS, thanks for the clarification.:)