Flash 430 EX

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtan

Jan 26, 2005
hi can those of u who have used a 430 ex tell me whether nits strong enough for bounced flash? i prefer this to the 580 Ex for travelling but someone told me its not strong enoughto bounce. comments please thanks

420 OR 430

gtan said:
hi can those of u who have used a 430 ex tell me whether nits strong enough for bounced flash? i prefer this to the 580 Ex for travelling but someone told me its not strong enoughto bounce. comments please thanks

Whos the "someone" who told you its not strong enough to bounce? The 580EX defintely has more power but I don't see why a 430EX can't bounce. If your ceilings aren't that high, I don't see why not.

Agree...even my 420EX can bounce. There's no logic why a 430EX can't, it's totally rubbish.

Sure can bounce...where got such things as not strong enuf to bounce?

Whether your flash can 'bounce' or not depends on whether there's any ceiling for it to bounce off. Obviously, if you 'ceiling' is like the lowest cloud level, you can't expect any light to bounce back to the subject.

Bounce can only be achieved is the ceiling is not too high and make sure the surface is white.

thanks from one acsian to another, do u know if the extra power in the 580 makes a significant diff in bounce performance?

weeteck said:
thanks from one acsian to another, do u know if the extra power in the 580 makes a significant diff in bounce performance?

It depends on how you define "significant". Theoretically yes there is a difference, but if your ceiling's too high or you're out in the open then the point is moot.

The main reason for getting a 580EX are the advanced features like Commander mode, faster recycle times etc. Its not really worth while to bother about bounce capabilities... chances are if the 430EX can't provide enough bounce flash the 580 won't make it either.

The 430EX is a powerful flash unit that can perform most of the job the 580EX can do. Just to note to everyone that the 430EX flash head seems a little loose when compared to the 580EX. I cant really tell the difference between the two except for the weight. Good luck.

gtan said:
i prefer this to the 580 Ex for travelling

I presume you mean the weight. I don't think 580EX is that much heavier than 430EX, 50 or 75g may be.

hazmee said:
...which I seldom use. Heh. To each his own I guess. Cheers!

If i were u i'd rather buy a large external bounce card and velcro it to my flash head, it's more useful.

in terms of flash power 420<430<550<580

look at the price tag first before deciding

the rest are low end hence on par more or less. for the low end series, main issue will be the associated price tag, not the actual firepower

user111 said:
the rest are low end hence on par more or less. for the low end series, main issue will be the associated price tag, not the actual firepower

Yupz 200EX and 220EX do now offer any bounce whatsoever. They're just autoflash flashes hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.