Flash 1st or Lens 1st???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirowen

Mar 30, 2006
Tampines
www.friendster.com
Hi, I thinking to buy Nikon D50 kit package before my australia trip, however, my budget didnt allow, i have to choose between getting a SB600 first or 70-300mm len first.. Can CSers here pls advise? Thanks in advance! :)

It depends. What sort of subjects do you usually like to photograph? For some people, it would be easy to do without a flash, whereas others might consider it a priceless piece of equipment. Consider first if your built-in flash has successfully fulfilled your needs so far.

U have to set the piority of whether u wana shoot in the daylight or not....

Becos getting a flash allow u to do shooting when the lights are out....but for lens wise maybe it would be feasible to use during the daytime as most of the time shots are taken in the daylight, flash is however optional during daytime.....:think: [my personal opinions]

fWord said:
It depends. What sort of subjects do you usually like to photograph? For some people, it would be easy to do without a flash, whereas others might consider it a priceless piece of equipment. Consider first if your built-in flash has successfully fulfilled your needs so far.

Actually i thinking of buying flash just for my fish photography, of cuz this type of thing is very hard to say 1, when u are in australia, you dont even know what kind of photograph you will taking. I am more interested into macro world, but as you can see, when i go to oz, there is little macro shot for me to capture, so i was thinking of getting a 70-300mm lens instead of macro lens first, but what trouble me now is if only can get one, which is more suitable for travel trip? Lens first or flash first?

dreamerz said:
wat type of photography are u doing?

I am a type of person who likes to do all sort of photography. But of cuz macro is my dream. However, like my above post, going to oz it will be a waste to get macro shot only. btw, Hmmm, which type of photography is a must to have an external flash?

Cyber said:
U have to set the piority of whether u wana shoot in the daylight or not....

Becos getting a flash allow u to do shooting when the lights are out....but for lens wise maybe it would be feasible to use during the daytime as most of the time shots are taken in the daylight, flash is however optional during daytime.....:think: [my personal opinions]

This is what troubles me lo, I dont know whether my internal flash is sufficient for me anot.

hirowen said:
Actually i thinking of buying flash just for my fish photography, of cuz this type of thing is very hard to say 1, when u are in australia, you dont even know what kind of photograph you will taking. I am more interested into macro world, but as you can see, when i go to oz, there is little macro shot for me to capture, so i was thinking of getting a 70-300mm lens instead of macro lens first, but what trouble me now is if only can get one, which is more suitable for travel trip? Lens first or flash first?

I see. Flash for fish photography sounds challenging though, because the flash would probably give very harsh reflections off the front of the tank, unless you bounce it and use a reflector to direct the light into the tank from above. If I were in your shoes, a lens would be the thing I'd get first, although the kit lens would probably suffice for most landscape shots.

For the lens, look at the newer Sigma 70-300mm. It'll probably be good for large macro shots with its high reproduction ratio...1:2 if I'm not mistaken.

fWord said:
I see. Flash for fish photography sounds challenging though, because the flash would probably give very harsh reflections off the front of the tank, unless you bounce it and use a reflector to direct the light into the tank from above. If I were in your shoes, a lens would be the thing I'd get first, although the kit lens would probably suffice for most landscape shots.

For the lens, look at the newer Sigma 70-300mm. It'll probably be good for large macro shots with its high reproduction ratio...1:2 if I'm not mistaken.

Wow, that sounds tempting. but what is the price? I cant afford to have too expensive one, i thinking of buying second hand ones :p

hirowen said:

If you are getting it solely for the purpose of your OZ trip, then if I were you, I would be getting the lens first. To me, more photo opportunities would be lost by not having a long lens than by not having a flash. Unless of course you are going to OZ to just take picture of your family/loved ones all the time, with the scenery as a backdrop.

i would say go for the lens...if u really need a flash n ve no money to invest...get a cheap 1 then...those tigger only flash...i ve use it b4...its quite gd...jus that u need to do the setting urself without the help of e-TTL

justarius said:
If you are getting it solely for the purpose of your OZ trip, then if I were you, I would be getting the lens first. To me, more photo opportunities would be lost by not having a long lens than by not having a flash. Unless of course you are going to OZ to just take picture of your family/loved ones all the time, with the scenery as a backdrop.

I going with my camp mate for official duty. Will be staying there for 1 month. So should be capture pic likes landscape, kangaroos, koala bears and anything interesting :D ...

dreamerz said:
i would say go for the lens...if u really need a flash n ve no money to invest...get a cheap 1 then...those tigger only flash...i ve use it b4...its quite gd...jus that u need to do the setting urself without the help of e-TTL

Think i should be getting the lens first ba..haha.. after i came back from oz then i save up money for the flash and macro lens :)

hirowen said:
Wow, that sounds tempting. but what is the price? I cant afford to have too expensive one, i thinking of buying second hand ones :p

If I remember correctly it goes for slightly over $300 new. It's the Sigma APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO Check out the pricelist here too:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145126&page=5

For travelling, you don't need flash. Your D50 has built in flash, get your glass first. 17-55 or 17-35 would be good :thumbsup:

espn said:
For travelling, you don't need flash. Your D50 has built in flash, get your glass first. 17-55 or 17-35 would be good :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Mostly i will bringing kit lens and sigma 70-300 to oz le! Now i juz have to pray that i the overseas allowance can quickly transfer into my account. :D

hirowen said:
I going with my camp mate for official duty. Will be staying there for 1 month. So should be capture pic likes landscape, kangaroos, koala bears and anything interesting :D ...

For landscape, you can do with the kit lens.

For wildlife like kangaroos, koala bears etc., you need a long lens ....... 70-300mm would be essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.