Flare in my photos and pale sky color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ir_swaps

Feb 27, 2006
Singapore
Hi,

I realise that there are some sort of "flare" in my photos. Is there anyway I can prevent that? Below are some examples.

Athens-Mar2006216.jpg

Athens-Mar2006375.jpg

Also, the color of the sky is a tab bit softer than what I see through the viewfinder. How can I improve on this? Sorry, newbie to photography so still trying to learn as I go along. Appreciate all your help.

Athens-Mar2006438.jpg

Pic 1 ...... Shooting at the sun is a automatic ticket to flare.
Pic 2 ...... The sun is right on top of you .... A. Use a Hood, B. Wait for the sun to go away
Pic 3 ...... Underexpose the picture by 1/2 stop will give you slightly darker sky

The sky will appear washed out if the contrast between the sky and the other subjects in the picture is too great. This is because the camera's sensor can only capture a very limited no. of stops in exposure. If the contrast is great and the surrounding is properly exposed, the sky will be recorded as more towards extreme white areas.

So either you use software (e.g. photoshop. i.e. select the sky and apply adjustments such as brightness/contrast, colour balance or filter to the selection) to make the sky more blue/less bright or try to shoot when the contrast is not so great during certain times of the day (when the surrounding is very much brightened by sunlight).

Clockunder said:
The sky will appear washed out if the contrast between the sky and the other subjects in the picture is too great. This is because the camera's sensor can only capture a very limited no. of stops in exposure. If the contrast is great and the surrounding is properly exposed, the sky will be recorded as more towards extreme white areas.

So either you use software (e.g. photoshop. i.e. select the sky and apply adjustments such as brightness/contrast, colour balance or filter to the selection) to make the sky more blue/less bright or try to shoot when the contrast is not so great during certain times of the day (when the surrounding is very much brightened by sunlight).

Or use a good GND if you wanna minimize pp.

Wat does GNP and pp stands for?:dunno:

pp - post process
GND - neutral density? i guess it is..

VR2 said:
pp - post process
GND - neutral density? i guess it is..
Graduated ND.

Thanks all for the tips. Will definitely get a lens hood when I finally decide which new lens I wanna get ;p

Just as a side-track, how often do you guys post-edit your photos?

ir_swaps said:
Thanks all for the tips. Will definitely get a lens hood when I finally decide which new lens I wanna get ;p

its a workflow....as long as u go digital u will need to pp ur pix...jus like in the old day ppl pp their flim in the darkroom...;)

ir_swaps said:

when I'm doing nite duty...

Athens.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.