"Flare" - appreciate advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyke

Hi, noticed that this shot had pretty bad flare at the top left corner.

Would appreciate advice on what I should have done to prevent this. Should I have metered differently? Should I get a filter (if so, what kind)?

Thanks! :gbounce:

49580.JPG

It's a combination of flare and overexposure.

You could have tried using a lens hood or some other object(cap, hat,hand) to shield it. It might help a little, but whenever you point a lens at a light source it will be a problem.

Hi Cyke,

It depends on what you are after...to expose the sign, the left part of the sky will be overexposed. I would use PS to adjust to taste in your case...

Wow, replies within minutes of posting! Very impressed. Thanks very much fellas :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes I was pointing towards the light source and was actually using a hood. If there're other ways of preventing this, would appreciate the advice.

The not-so-un-professional way:
Could take 3 exposure: normal, +1 stop & -1 stop.
Use some Photoshop technique to adjust the 3 photos "together".

Besides the not-so-professional way, you can use a neutral grad filter for such scenes. Can find such filters at Cathay Photo.

Think my eyes got problem, I don't see any flare.

You have overexposed the sky.

The typical way of over coming this is to manually exposed for the sky, switch on your flash, and use the fill flash to expose the sign board correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.