fixing out of focus (blurred) photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.dennislee.co
ok i admit i sucks at PS... since i mostly used it for cropping and resizing. So kinda clueless how to use the filter feature (smart sharpen, unsharp etc) to sharpen out of focus (blurred) photos?

i did a google search on this topic already and tried doing it myself but just can't get it right?

any kind souls willing to give me a step by step exact guide? :cry:

sharpening doesn't really help in fixing out of focus photos

Show us the picture? If its too serious it can't be fixed easily.

16853_223300947522_688242522_3104552_1051002_n.jpg

if i wish to make the top part of the pic clearer?

Last edited:
Simple. Retake the photo again.

ok i admit i sucks at PS... since i mostly used it for cropping and resizing. So kinda clueless how to use the filter feature (smart sharpen, unsharp etc) to sharpen out of focus (blurred) photos?

i did a google search on this topic already and tried doing it myself but just can't get it right?

any kind souls willing to give me a step by step exact guide? :cry:

if it isn't too OOF

sharpening it properly and carefully and resizing it to a smaller size, you can make it look LESS oof, and even look like it is in focus

but at the original size? no way, not in a thousand years.. photoshop is not magic, it cannot give you detail where there is not.. contrary to what csi miami tells you :bsmilie: you could POSSIBLY put in a lot of work and DRAW in the details manually, if you happen to be a photoshop wizard.. but i don't think it's worth the effort. might as well get the focus right when shooting :p

A genuine question from me, there is a difference between blur and out of focus?

well, blur can be anything

handshake

motion blur

oof is a type of blur, i guess. :) but parts of the picture may be sharp.. but what you want sharp is not sharp :bsmilie:

Sorry to say bro, you gotta reshoot with a smaller aperture if you want the whole frame sharp. post processing cant help much.

test_usm.jpg

try cut and paste

Technically, a badly focused image cannot be fixed. It is still worth the while to shoot as it is intended.

Anyway,

Before:

16853_223300947522_688242522_3104552_1051002_n.jpg

After:

98169030.jpg

By the way, hosting a blur image on Facebook only made things worse.

Try cloning the layer, run a high-pass filter through, and adjusting the blending options/opacity. Mask where necessary.

Last edited:
This is what I always do:
1. Convert the image from RGB to Lab
2. Select Lightness Channel
3. Apply Unsharp Mask onto Lightness Channel
4. Convert back to RGB.

As always there might be better way to do this though, and nothing beats a retake.

Last edited:
In my experience, blurred photos are almost always toast.

agreed. photoshop can save color problems, contrast/saturation problems.

but it almost fails at blurring. i been using ps for a good 5 years already. and i can tell u its really hopeless. sharp/unsharp mask can do minor help. but since ur camera doesnt have tat focused image data, no matter how mch u try also cant get it to look sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.