Fixer Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimlessfool

Deregistered
Feb 22, 2004
How do we know that whether a fixer for both film and paper can be reused? there's the indicator stop bath that will change colour after it is 'used up' but for the fixer there's no visible indication. can anyone help please??

Then I guess you have to test...

You should remember when you mixed it and how many times it has been used, once the fix time exceeds a certain threshold (say > 5 mins for film), you should throw it away already.

aimlessfool said:
How do we know that whether a fixer for both film and paper can be reused? there's the indicator stop bath that will change colour after it is 'used up' but for the fixer there's no visible indication. can anyone help please??

waileong said:
Then I guess you have to test...

You should remember when you mixed it and how many times it has been used, once the fix time exceeds a certain threshold (say > 5 mins for film), you should throw it away already.

Thanks waileong but how do u test it? and how u know when reaches its limit? for example u said if the fix time exceeds 5 mins but how do u know that the fix time is 5 mins?

Fixer is pretty cheap, so use fresh solutions and remove all doubts.

For Film, you should use fixer at working solution concentration. You can test it by putting the film leader (that you cut off) into the solution and wait for 2 to 3 minutes. If the film clears up, the fixer is OK. If it looks somewhat murky, the fixer may be close to exhaustion. An alternative technique is to use fix the film twice via first using an older fixer, then a fresher fixer (many articles written on this). My personal habit is to develop a batch of films at one go (about 6 to 10 rolls) - and only freshly mixed chemicals are used, which are then disposed after the last roll.

For paper print, the fixer can be used at lower concentration (as compared to film). Prepare enough fresh fixer for the day's printing. At the end of the day, dispose the fixer.

It is not a good practice to risk incomplete fixing of film or paper by using the fixer to it's max capacity. Problems related to incomplete fixing may not show up until many months or a few years later.

You put your film in. After two mins, you take out. If film is dark, ok. If film is milky, it means the fixing not done yet.

The time to fix = the time to get the film dark.

If after 5 mins, your film is still milky, then your fixer habis. Better quickly put your film in a batch of fresh fixer.

aimlessfool said:
Thanks waileong but how do u test it? and how u know when reaches its limit? for example u said if the fix time exceeds 5 mins but how do u know that the fix time is 5 mins?

Fixer can be reuse any number of time until it change colour or turns milky. For fixer you are not sure how many times you have used, it is best to test the concentration by cutting any existing undevelop film and dipping in the solution of fixer. Start the timing when the film is in. Time it until the film becomes totally transparent, that is the minimum time you need to fix your roll of film. So far i have not have problem of overfixing but when overfixed image will tends towards milky look. This is what i experiment so far.

There is a fix tester you can get that will give you a clear indication that your fixer is exhausted. I am not too sure whether you can get it in Singapore but I have used it. Basically, it comes in a eye-dropper type bottle that you use, when you put a couple of drops into the fix and it comes up milky then your fix is done, time to change it because there is too much silver in the fixer to fix your prints.

sorry can't give you a brand or name. It is some kind of indicator.

The other methods mentioned do work but will take a few minutes. This one is instantaneous.

Just did a search.

The product is called Edwal Hypo Check. A couple of drops will tell you if the fix is good or bad. Milky bad fixer, clear good fixer.

Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.