Fix Nikon lens

Ylesiya

Jan 30, 2011
Singapore
Hi Nikon people!
I need your advice here today. Have Nikon 24-70 (warranty expired already), yesterday noticed that its zoom ring is slightly stiff at 24-28. Went today to Nikon official service centre, but all they could offer me is to change the lens barrel for 700+ SGD which is a bit too much (ha-ha), as I suppose that a simple cleaning and rearranging of the lens will fix the problem. Can you guys please advice me some really good third-party service centre, who can help me with this problem for adequate money? Thank you in advance!

u can try camera hospital at sunshine plaza or look up for our fellow member called fatigue in clubsnap.

Hi,
Here is DIY video on how to fix the problem :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYLKFUWP68

This is quite a common problem. Read a few threads on this before.

I think "Fatigue" has fixed a few before. You can contact him to assist you.

Last edited:
$700 is ripping your wallet apart

u can try camera hospital at sunshine plaza or look up for our fellow member called fatigue in clubsnap.

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll try Camera Hospital, I think.

Hi,
Here is DIY video on how to fix the problem :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYLKFUWP68

This is quite a common problem. Read a few threads on this before.

I think "Fatigue" has fixed a few before. You can contact him to assist you.

Wow, thanks! Watched the video (real thanks for the link!), looks simple, but for the first time want the pro to do it. I wonder whether they can let me watch at the Camera Hospital.

That is why in other countries all Pro lenses have got a 5 year manufacturer warranty.

Usually wear and tear on usage not in the scope of manufacturer warranty... Good that we have other hospital to solve and lower cost...

I don't think that these problems are the result of usage. Lens looks mint and was very carefully used. Also, lots of people complain on this stiffness of the zoom which means that this is Nikon's fault. But still they offer to pay them 700+ more adding that to the price of new lens which is definitely not cheap.

This is a very common problem for this lens.. One very good reason to avoid getting it.. The weight is killing too. Try to pm fatigue bro

In this case is 24-70 still a good buy?

I think it is a matter of taste. For me - still a good buy (very sharp and nice picture), minor fix will solve stiff problem. By the way, lens appears to work normally again by itself, Camera Hospital is not responding the phone :(

Somehow, the more I used my 24-70, the more loose the zoom ring is from 24 - 70mm ...

Ylesiya said:
Wow, thanks! Watched the video (real thanks for the link!), looks simple, but for the first time want the pro to do it. I wonder whether they can let me watch at the Camera Hospital.

Please note this does not fix the root of the problem. And even bro fatigue said it did not improve the situation 100% of the time.

This is the one thing keeping me away from the 24-70. Sigh.

Please note this does not fix the root of the problem. And even bro fatigue said it did not improve the situation 100% of the time.

This is the one thing keeping me away from the 24-70. Sigh.

Yes, I understand. But before doing a costly repair, it is better to try to fix it with less money. Maybe, it will be ok. Also, it became less stiff by itself suddenly.

Actually, I wrote to Nikon's major support asking why the hell should I pay these money for a manufacturer's mistake (in a more polite manner of course). They replied, said some **** as "it was a rough estimation" (ha-ha, that's not true, they only suggested me to change the barrel after a glance at the lens, that's it, without any word of a "rough estimate"). However, they offered me to pick up my lens from my place, to examine it carefully and try to fix without barrel change. Also decided to send them my 14-24 for cleaning as it has some strange spots which give light flares at long exposures (bought it from CS user and didn't know about the spots as they become slightly visible only after exhaling on the front element under a bright light) and I could not clean them. Let's see what Nikon will do with these issues.

Disgusting! This is a ex professional grade lens & have these kind of issues. My experience with Nikon is they never really do service or repairs equipment, they only replace parts at a very high cost. I think servicing & repairs are too labour intensive, costly & not profitable to them, even if they are simple & straightforward. Makes me loose confidence in their products & services.....

Last edited:
Ok, if anyone interested, here is what going on with Nikon. They really sent a courier to me to take the lenses, called in advance to know a convenient time for me. Then they called me that they received the lenses (I also sent there my 14-24 for cleaning). Then the next day technician contacted me and said that the repair would cost around 250 SGD, which is much better than 700+. They will change some parts and lubricate the zoom element. As for 14-24 they did not find the spots I was telling them about (nice leh?!), so I adviced them to exhale on the front glass to see the spots. They told they will clean the lens. Let's see if they will fix everything.