Fishing for time

Status
Not open for further replies.

likimikuku

Nov 9, 2007
took this pic in Punggol on last weekend
was my fist time shooting on Punggol Beach..
hope my posting are right, do let me know if i miss out on any decription..:lovegrin:
using ND filter.. No PP...

2592100986_ef40945640.jpg

C&C are most welcome!!:lovegrin:

V nice! Only hope the part of the fishing rod from the shore line would be a little more obvious. :thumbsup:

question: why the use of nd8?

btw.. i feel the picture too "tight" for my liking.. will prefer the more "typical" landscape orientation.. with more breathing space on the right for the fishing rod..

p.s. the rod isn't standing out enough too i think.. with the base of it being "lost" into the shadows of the beach..

V nice! Only hope the part of the fishing rod from the shore line would be a little more obvious. :thumbsup:

thank!!

agree with the rod did't stand out

question: why the use of nd8?

btw.. i feel the picture too "tight" for my liking.. will prefer the more "typical" landscape orientation.. with more breathing space on the right for the fishing rod..

p.s. the rod isn't standing out enough too i think.. with the base of it being "lost" into the shadows of the beach..

sorry, it was ND filter, half black and half clear.. my bad..:sweat:

Portrait style look ok for me, but some how it does look vy tall and tight…
but if i take wit landscape, it might look empty to me..

that's graduated nd, or grad nd :p nd alone tends to be taken as nd2/4/8.

Half black and half clear is call Graduate ND, GND. The ND density gradually changes from dark to clear. GND is like ND, it is classified in different density rating, like GND2/4/8.:)

thank!!

sorry, it was ND filter, half black and half clear.. my bad..:sweat:

Portrait style look ok for me, but some how it does look vy tall and tight…
but if i take wit landscape, it might look empty to me..

Half black and half clear is call Graduate ND, GND. The ND density gradually changes from dark to clear. GND is like ND, it is classified in different density rating, like GND2/4/8.:)

that's graduated nd, or grad nd :p nd alone tends to be taken as nd2/4/8.

thank for the info,
hehe GND then...:sweatsm:

good light, good sky, good effort,

but the fishing rod cuts the entire frame - i get your idea, i have even tried it before and it does not work. reason being that the sky is cut, the horizon is cut, the part where the sand meets the water is cut. silhouette photography needs to be a strong idea which is clearly seen. for sure no one is going to deny that this is a fishing rod, but at a quick glance, i'd wager that everybody viewing this photo would have to stop and think - what's that.. and somehow, that affects first and foremost, your idea, because it is murky now; and secondly.. the composition simply does not work.

good light, good sky, good effort,

but the fishing rod cuts the entire frame - i get your idea, i have even tried it before and it does not work. reason being that the sky is cut, the horizon is cut, the part where the sand meets the water is cut. silhouette photography needs to be a strong idea which is clearly seen. for sure no one is going to deny that this is a fishing rod, but at a quick glance, i'd wager that everybody viewing this photo would have to stop and think - what's that.. and somehow, that affects first and foremost, your idea, because it is murky now; and secondly.. the composition simply does not work.

yup... after u mention it... they is a point..
i agree.. will try to understand more about the type of picture i am taking and
put more effort in understand composition..
actually..do it hav any guideline for composition??
i wan to read up!!

thank for a detail comment..:lovegrin:

yup... after u mention it... they is a point..
i agree.. will try to understand more about the type of picture i am taking and
put more effort in understand composition..
actually..do it hav any guideline for composition??
i wan to read up!!

thank for a detail comment..:lovegrin:

there are many guidelines to composition, the rule of thirds is one, off-center is one, but guidelines can be broken, and sometimes when you go by the book and follow them to a T they will fail too.

what's more important is asking yourself very honestly, instead of being happy with results immediately - does this picture REALLY work? if so, why? if not, why not? this will give you a better understanding of what you are doing right and what you can do to improve this the next time you take a shot.

that's not to say that you shouldn't be happy with any picture you take - it's about maintaining a balance.. and of course if you think a picture is good, and more than one person says that it doesn't work for them, then take them seriously, give them the benefit of the doubt and find out why they think that way and see if you can see what they mean.

taking a look at many good pictures, or at least what is deemed good by the majority at the very least (since it's really hard to say that a picture is DEFINITELY good).. that will help too. take a look at the top galleries in pbase. take a look at the most interesting pictures in flickr. get hold of books of famous photographers, if you're interested in landscapes, just devour them, the library has loads of these actually. if you need help as to how to find these, let me know. i hope this helps.

there are many guidelines to composition, the rule of thirds is one, off-center is one, but guidelines can be broken, and sometimes when you go by the book and follow them to a T they will fail too.

what's more important is asking yourself very honestly, instead of being happy with results immediately - does this picture REALLY work? if so, why? if not, why not? this will give you a better understanding of what you are doing right and what you can do to improve this the next time you take a shot.

that's not to say that you shouldn't be happy with any picture you take - it's about maintaining a balance.. and of course if you think a picture is good, and more than one person says that it doesn't work for them, then take them seriously, give them the benefit of the doubt and find out why they think that way and see if you can see what they mean.

taking a look at many good pictures, or at least what is deemed good by the majority at the very least (since it's really hard to say that a picture is DEFINITELY good).. that will help too. take a look at the top galleries in pbase. take a look at the most interesting pictures in flickr. get hold of books of famous photographers, if you're interested in landscapes, just devour them, the library has loads of these actually. if you need help as to how to find these, let me know. i hope this helps.

well said!! :thumbsup:
i think the bast i can do now is shoot more, post more and learn from the mistake..
but wil take more concern on what i shoot...

Status
Not open for further replies.