Fisheye?

oyama85

Dec 29, 2006
Hi guys, just wanna ask, is the DA 10-17mm the only fisheye lens available for Pentax dslrs?

Am I right to say that fisheye is considered a "for fun" lens?
Btw is it true that this fisheye cant put a filter on it?
Is it still ok for landscape?
Maybe can "defish" it through photoshop if need.

Or get normal UWA lens is more logical like Sigma 8-16mm or some 10-20mm.
And maybe create the fisheye effect through photoshop only when its needed? Not sure if the effect is the same as the real thing tho.

Just wanna hear what others think bout this. :think: :)

Last edited:
Yes. It's the only modern Pentax fisheye you could buy off-the-shelf.
No, fish-eye is not just for fun. It is in its own right a class of serious lenses.
You can't screw a filter on the DA10-17 bcos there is no screw thread on it.
I wouldn't use a fisheye for landscape. It's particularly good for urban abstract and large indoor spaces.
You don't use a fish-eye to defish it.
A normal wide-angle may be a safer bet for you from your tone.
Fishing a normal wide I think is different. You may get the curves, but you'll never get the real fisheye perspective/FOV!

Last edited:
Perhaps I could link some fisheye work of mine:

Example of large Indoor space
4254351444_1af1655965_o.jpg

A super-wide perspective which you can't achieve even with a super wide. Even fished, the perspective still looks pretty pleasing and natural in this example.
4125353902_bd3abed39c_o.jpg

You could get some interesting perspective on urban architecture too.
3656352449_8215d1db0d_o.jpg

3611053088_f1c0518f3b_o.jpg

To conclude, a fisheye can be quite versatile if you put it to right use. It is not just a lens for "The Dog" kind of silly portraits.

It is not just a lens for "The Dog" kind of silly portraits.

Really? This was one of the key reasons I bought mine! :bsmilie:

To TS: other than that one point, I agree with what scorpioh has said. In the same vein as "The Dog", I also use the fisheye for other exaggerated close-ups. In general, the composition with a fisheye needs some getting used to, or you'll just end up having lots of messy or empty space.

3127909300_36fdf9068e_o.jpg

3127909534_a61eb4a0e3_o.jpg

3127909704_d815f76b16_o.jpg

fisheye at orchard!

Wah, Pentaxians really one heart. d: I say "silly", all come and flame me. Lol!

Wah, Pentaxians really one heart. d: I say "silly", all come and flame me. Lol!

got flame meh? quickly bring the meat!! we gonna have a BBQ! :bsmilie:

Wow thanks for the sharing of info guys and to scorpioh for the details from your perspective.
This forum never fails to solve my Pentax questions.
No questions to ask already for now lol.

Didnt know fisheye is so popular amongst Pentaxians.
Looks like its really an interesting lens to get.

So all of you are using the DA 10-17? Nice.

By the way I really got interested in the fisheye due to the images from the link below.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/tags/fisheye/interesting

Last edited:
I havent got any Fisheye lens for the the Pentax yet, but I di have it for my old Prosumer. I dun use much for landscape coz my prosumer sux, but for potrait it is a good one. A fisheye is a lens that can create happiness. Coz once taken, the subject will laugh looking at their pic. Big Nose, it really makes u look comical in a sense. Thats why I said it create Happiness. heh

Wow thanks for the sharing of info guys and to scorpioh for the details from your perspective.

By the way I really got interested in the fisheye due to the images from the link below.
You're welcomed. <:

Those pics in your links are very nice! A fisheye is that versatile! And yeah, very nicely done HDRs too.

Last edited:

Not all of us have the 10-17 or 12-24 . . .

Nice photos! Kana LBA poison! Must resist!

i see those building pix until i :confused:

not really my cup of tea i guess :embrass: dunno how to appreciate...

A fisheye lens can give more wider angle of view right ? I noticed that the sigma 10-20mm at 10mm only gives 102 degrees of view but a 10mm fisheye can give 180 degrees so FL for non FE and FE lenses are different ?

Thats what I read at Pentaxforums as well, but its not 180 degs I think, only 120 or something if my memory din fail me.
1 more thing I read is the 10-17mm fisheye on a crop body wont "fish" as much as it on a full frame body.

Yes, the DA1017 fisheye lens will have 180 degree view angle on a dSLR at 10mm end. I can see my feet when I point the lens/camera straight to the front :cool: