Fish tank reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Chan

Dec 13, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi, I'm doing this for the first time for a friend on his fishes.

The photo is taken late at night without a tripod as I was just testing out so forgive my poor focus. My question is how to cancel out the reflection of myself on the fish tank?

Newbie here, please bear with me. Thanks.

22449_261432907318_714102318_3115268_4042786_n.jpg

Last edited:
Switch off the lights in the room and turn on the tank's light. Polarizer also helps to reduce reflection. Lastly, angle yourself to avoid those reflection.

buy an underwater case and you will not have reflection anymore. :D

A CPL filter might be able to do the trick, also adjust the angle where to r taking the pic from

The photo is taken late at night without a tripod as I was just testing out so forgive my poor focus. My question is how to cancel out the reflection of myself on the fish tank?

Lights off for a start, use downward lighting or tank lighting only

Use a polarizer and shoot at an angle of 33~37° to the tank. That will eliminate all reflections.

Can't be of help, but nice endys. :)

Darken the room... switch off all the light, draw all the curtain and I also use a large piece of black cloth over the front of the tank and the camera.

Shoot perpendicular, as close to the glass as possible and as mentioned already. Use the tank lights or light up with flashes from the sides and above.

:)

guys, thanks so much all the tips!

The light on the fish tank was on, and i was using CPL for the above pic.

and thanks to L-Plate for the link. i'm not a fish lover myself, only my friend, but i love shooting so will try out all the tips this weekend again.

guys, thanks so much all the tips!

The light on the fish tank was on, and i was using CPL for the above pic.

and thanks to L-Plate for the link. i'm not a fish lover myself, only my friend, but i love shooting so will try out all the tips this weekend again.

CPL will reduce about 1-2 stops of light, so you'll suffer with a lower shutter speed. Note on that.

A polariser is virtually useless in such shooting conditions. It's a common mis-conception.

Careful set-up as mentioned by others will be much more helpful, as would several units of powerful diffused flash, or continuous lights, depending on the size of tank etc.

Just to add, if the light in the tank is brighter the ambient light than no reflection.
For me, it's either flash on top of the tank and trigger by wireless remote,
or flash mounted on hotshoe with a bounce card.

It also help to have a properly set-up tank to avoid internal surfaces possibly acting as mirrors.

At any rate, I don't think the fish in the first tank are very comfortable and the lack of any proper tank lay-out makes both inhabitants and photos look possibly despondent.

Seems that no one mentioned about shutter speed - if using flash, better max out the shutter speed at say 1/250. Remember that the fishes are moving targets. :bsmilie:

22069_1325357421959_1471597138_3088.jpg

I noobie too..same i switch on the tank light. move close to the tank and voila..fyi...this is my first few shots after i bought my sony A330!

Seems that no one mentioned about shutter speed - if using flash, better max out the shutter speed at say 1/250. Remember that the fishes are moving targets. :bsmilie:

That's quite the opposite.

If your main light source is flash, and the ambient light levels are too low to register, it doesn't matter what shutter speed one uses. Can also use 1 full second and the fish would be perfectly sharp and frozen.

What matters more is the flash duration.

CPL will reduce about 1-2 stops of light, so you'll suffer with a lower shutter speed. Note on that.

Point noted. Thanks.

It also help to have a properly set-up tank to avoid internal surfaces possibly acting as mirrors.

At any rate, I don't think the fish in the first tank are very comfortable and the lack of any proper tank lay-out makes both inhabitants and photos look possibly despondent.

Its just a dry run, nothing was setup. I'm not the fish expert here, my friend will be doing the proper setup when we are ready to do some real shoot. Thanks for the advice anyway :).

Status
Not open for further replies.