Fish-eye "filter" suggestion please.

enewmen

Aug 4, 2010
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Hi All.

Is there any Fish-Eye filters worth getting to get the Fish eye effect and reduce the focal length a little (more wide-angle)?
I don't think I will use this enough to justisfy getting a real Fish Eye lens, but I hope to find something that's at least better than a toy,.

thanks!

They are available. But are they worth it? NO.

Thanks for the post!

I was afraid it's not worth it.
Any suggestion for a non-premium lens?
Tamron, Sigma? This is better than what I was looking for, but it seems I don't have much choice.

Are you on full frame or crop frame? For crop, the Samyang 8mm Fisheye is one of your options. Not sure how much the Tokina 10-17 is but it's also another option.

Are you on full frame or crop frame? For crop, the Samyang 8mm Fisheye is one of your options. Not sure how much the Tokina 10-17 is but it's also another option.

I'm on crop, but I will want something I can use full frame for a future camera.

Thanks for the post!

I was afraid it's not worth it.
Any suggestion for a non-premium lens?
Tamron, Sigma? This is better than what I was looking for, but it seems I don't have much choice.

By what budget are you in for non-premium lens? I don't think a full frame fisheye lens will come any cheaper. Samyang is definitely out for it is only for crop sensor.

enewmen said:
I'm on crop, but I will want something I can use full frame for a future camera.

Do note that you can't really share fisheye lenses between FF and crop. A FF FE will give you nice FE effect but the same lens will look more like a normal wide angle on a crop. A crop FE lens will vignette heavily on FF cam.

That means it will look like a UWA @ 16mm (widest FX FE I think), with only slight FE distortion towards the sides of the image?

It seems then my only choice is a Samyang 8mm Fisheye.

Again,
Thanks for the great advice people!

Cowseye said:
That means it will look like a UWA @ 16mm (widest FX FE I think), with only slight FE distortion towards the sides of the image?

Yup. Looks like a wide angle lens with bad barrel distortion but not enough to be fisheye-y.

If you really understand what Crop Frame sensor means, it will not be too hard to visualise. Lenss project the image on the sensors. If the sensor is smaller than the whole image, then result will be cropped. So a 16mm FE lens on CF camera will look like a crop from the centre of a FF camera. Therefore, since FE characteristic gets more and more pronounced at the corners, the effect will be more subdued.

If you really understand what Crop Frame sensor means, it will not be too hard to visualise. Lenss project the image on the sensors. If the sensor is smaller than the whole image, then result will be cropped. So a 16mm FE lens on CF camera will look like a crop from the centre of a FF camera. Therefore, since FE characteristic gets more and more pronounced at the corners, the effect will be more subdued.

Oh yah, that's a good way to visualising it. Center of frame with less FE effects. Thanks.
Good, dun even have to think about getting one anymore :)
I was quite impressed by a prize awarded travel shot using FE lens published in a few UK magazine.