Fish and Flower

crystal1993

Aug 16, 2010
Japan, Tokyo
162827_1781704786486_1355451962_31993437_1139523_n.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and exposure.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I hope to capture the flower and the fish together to form a nice photo.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Around 1-2pm. Windy.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I feel that i captured it beautifully but yet something seems not right and i can't place a finger on it.

Just my humble opinion:

1. Should not have captured the flower and the fish together, the two equally heavy subjects are fighting for attention.

2.I can see that you are focusing on the flowers, perhaps a macro shot of the flowers themselves or a landscape shot where the flowers are the foreground focus?

3. Photo can be more tightly cropped as I think the space above the flowers is unnecessary.

4. If you insist on capturing the flower and the fish together, the fish should not cut the flower at the back. Because of it cutting the flower, it presents as a distraction rather than a subject complement.

5. I think exposure is fine, but you could use a CPL to cut the reflections since you are focusing on the fish underwater.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited:
+
Very good focus on the flowers and flowers decently exposed IMO.

-
Focus is obviously more on flowers than fish. I don't like the composition of the photo because top portion of photo is too empty. I would've preferred a lower perspective.
Shutter speed is too slow to freeze movement of fish, hence the fish appears blur.
Lacking creativity in composition.

Keep shooting!

Just my humble opinion:

1. Should not have captured the flower and the fish together, the two equally heavy subjects are fighting for attention.

2.I can see that you are focusing on the flowers, perhaps a macro shot of the flowers themselves or a landscape shot where the flowers are the foreground focus?

3. Photo can be more tightly cropped as I think the space above the flowers is unnecessary.

4. If you insist on capturing the flower and the fish together, the fish should not cut the flower at the back. Because of it cutting the flower, it presents as a distraction rather than a subject complement.

5. I think exposure is fine, but you could use a CPL to cut the reflections since you are focusing on the fish underwater.

Cheers :thumbsup:

+
Very good focus on the flowers and flowers decently exposed IMO.

-
Focus is obviously more on flowers than fish. I don't like the composition of the photo because top portion of photo is too empty. I would've preferred a lower perspective.
Shutter speed is too slow to freeze movement of fish, hence the fish appears blur.
Lacking creativity in composition.

Keep shooting!

Thank you both for your comments!

How about this photo that shows the flower's reflection as well?
It doesn't have too much dead space at the top now. :)

Can't see the photo :/
And I realise you're 17. Same as me ^^

Can't see the photo :/
And I realise you're 17. Same as me ^^

Just turned 17 only HAHA!
December baby, bo bian. :cry:

And i just realise i didn't even post up the picture. LOL! Blur me. Too tired. :sweat:

Here ya go:

163458_1781705226497_1355451962_31993438_5409738_n.jpg

Sorry but I still think that the fish are a distraction. If you want to shoot the flower, wait till the fish swim away then shoot it. Your main subject also takes up too minor a space in the photo, I'd suggest it fills at least 1/2 - 3/4 of the photo. :think:

Just turned 17 only HAHA!
December baby, bo bian. :cry:

And i just realise i didn't even post up the picture. LOL! Blur me. Too tired. :sweat:

Here ya go:

163458_1781705226497_1355451962_31993438_5409738_n.jpg

The fishes are still distracting, a photo with just the flowers and their reflections will make a cleaner photo with more impact I feel.

Sorry but I still think that the fish are a distraction. If you want to shoot the flower, wait till the fish swim away then shoot it. Your main subject also takes up too minor a space in the photo, I'd suggest it fills at least 1/2 - 3/4 of the photo. :think:

Ahaha thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately that is quite impossible as the fish seems to like swimming around the flower and no matter how much you frame or zoom there would still be 1 or 2 fishes inside it.

Seems like they think i wanna feed them or something. @_@

Quite nice, love the color and the fish is interacting with the lotus flower and nature is in synergy.

Keep up the good work, your picture has good story. :thumbsup:

Thanks! But it seems like you're the only one who thinks that way. Nevertheless i'm glad that you liked it! =D

The fishes are still distracting, a photo with just the flowers and their reflections will make a cleaner photo with more impact I feel.

Alright i will go back and try to re-shoot it again. Thanks all for the feedback!

Hi Crystal. I think for the original photo, the fish appears more like a passer-by. For the second shot, I think in terms of proportion, the flower seem to be competing for attention with the leaves and fishes. Just my humble opinion. Hope its alright.

Hi Crystal. I think for the original photo, the fish appears more like a passer-by. For the second shot, I think in terms of proportion, the flower seem to be competing for attention with the leaves and fishes. Just my humble opinion. Hope its alright.

Of course it's alright! Thanks for the feedback! Still got lots to learn. :sweatsm:

Perhaps you can throw some bread to feed and distract the fishes away from the flower.

I am sure it will work.

;)

great focusing on the flowers and well exposed too!however its far too quiet on top yet busy on the lower portion of the picture.i suggest u find a balance...:)

if i may add...
perhaps if shd u ever revisit this to work on the critic/advise,one aspect u cld look into is perhaps accentuating the coexistence of btween the fish and the the flower.

otherwise ,as mention by the rest, perhaps absence of the fishes could highlight the focus of ur picture as well.

Perhaps you can throw some bread to feed and distract the fishes away from the flower.

I am sure it will work.

;)

I'm not sure whether you can feed them or not but great suggestion! LOL!

great focusing on the flowers and well exposed too!however its far too quiet on top yet busy on the lower portion of the picture.i suggest u find a balance...:)

if i may add...
perhaps if shd u ever revisit this to work on the critic/advise,one aspect u cld look into is perhaps accentuating the coexistence of btween the fish and the the flower.

otherwise ,as mention by the rest, perhaps absence of the fishes could highlight the focus of ur picture as well.

Thanks for the tip!! Yeah i'm going back there to re-shoot it actually. Will take note of it!

My humble opinion

1. When you select a title, there must be some relevance, or in other words, tells a story. There must be some relationship between the subjects. If not, it makes no difference putting a frog and flower together.

2. Colour is bit dull and composition could be improved further. The background must support the subjects, so its either very clear throughout or slightly more blurry (bokeh). The slight blur of the background is quite distracting. Its neither here nor there..

3. I felt that you should have been closer to the flower and fish, cos the other fishes are just as big, thus competing for attention. thats why the background should have been blurrer to reduce attention from other objects.

4. If you wish to take the flower as the main subject, there must be something special about it. Going nearer would reveal some nice details of the petals perhaps. If you want to take the flower and reflection, then the whole pic should have just both only, concentrating on telling the story.

Just my opinion and is subjective. Thanks.

Jon

Last edited:
I would suggest you to tightly crop the first photo, leaving just the bottom part (one big fish + flower) to suit your title.