Isaac89

Jul 15, 2009
Before:
DSC_0330_2_.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

After:

DSC_0330_1_.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Hi all! I am relatively new to photography and to clubsnap. However i just got my New toy; a sb-600! I was wondering if i should post this is the newbie corner or here but i figured this is the critque corner. I would appreciate comments and critques! Thanks in advance!

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Lighting! I am wondering what can i do to further improve this! And being new, getting some parts right might be a fluke too. What exactly did i do wrong or right?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Hope to achieve good lighting techniques over time with practice and this is my starting point!
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this with only one flash which is my Sb600. The cup was on a piece of acrylic. Background was just a normal printing paper. Had a black background that's larger than the A4 printing paper to give the cup a contrasty look with the black edges. Light was fired intentionally at the joint which is my white point here so as to blow up the line seperating both the acrylic and paper.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think there's much more to improve especially the light. Would try to blow up the whole background instead of just the bottom the next time(tomorrow)

P.s There's a before and after, I used photoshop and cropped away the crumples of the paper and also the bottom of the table. Also played around with the settings to make it look 'nicer'.(is it any good?) The photoshopped image is the one i put up for critique but i supposed if i put up the original image too it'll be better in terms of suggestions and critiques. Thanks!

the reflection of the glass is distracting. unless this is ur intention you should use a non-reflective surface

the reflection is fine, but at least give us a complete one.

your control over the lighting needs to be better, something less jarring in terms of spreading out of light might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.