First try on my 350D on Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitelion

Nov 11, 2005
Recently I just "upgraded" myself to DSLR. I simply love macro shots but don't have the budget at the moment to get a macro lens. Of coz I know there are alot of area I need to improve on.... From positioning, Focusing, composition and more. Need expert here to give me some tips.
IMG_0525.jpg

I think there's too much empty space on the left. The unbloomed flower is distracting too. Otherwise very good photo =)

Just my 2 cents :D

test2.jpg

Hi Drumy Thank you for your feedback. How abt this pic after crop?

There also seems to be yellow tint in the pic. Maybe can adjust the white balance with PS.

subject is in focus. good try! ;)

There also seems to be yellow tint in the pic. Maybe can adjust the white balance with PS.

Bro. I'm not very good in PS can you show me sample on how to adjust the white balance? Maybe you can try on my pic so that I'll know what kind of adjustment needed. THANX!;p

i think the original looks very good already no need ot crop. nice nice.. where you v close? haha

I also feel the original pic has a good composition as there is more for the eyes to move around the pic. After cropping, no doubt the focus is very clear (on the bee), the pic becomes less interesting.

my suggested crop with 4:3 ratio

2300746633_550cd16053_o.jpg

originally posted photo has too much space on the left. elements are heavily slanted to the right, which is fine in some cases but does not work here. i find that the lone flower to the left of the bee action does add to the picture somehow, by providing a stronger sense of setting.

the new crop does not work for me. much weaker compositionally as there is this huge burst of yellow dominating the picture, no one will notice the bee already

In a one color object situation such as the flower, think about shooting it at an angle that creates shadow on the flower to give depth. Flower look flat n details are lost. This could also be due to the bee is darker and the flower is abit over exposed. Try using full matrix metering instead. If I were to shoot this, i would probably screw up let alone talk about composure! easier to comment haha..

Good effort for a first try!
I would suggest leaving the unopened flower in the frame to draw attention to the main subject (bee obtaining nectar from flower), as well as to balance the main subject compositionally. Here, the framing and cropping can make all the difference to the photo. Frame it too wide, and the impact of the subject is lost. Frame it too tight, and the photo lacks interest. I would suggest a crop somewhere in between the original photo and night86mare's suggested crop, which is to crop away some of the bottom, and less off the left part of the photo, and to try to place the main points of interest according to the rule of thirds. At the same time, increase the contrast of the pic to bring out the vibrant yellows more.

e.g.
IMG_0525_rev_1.jpg

AMAZING!!! Photoshop is so amazing!!! Thank you very much much for all!!! I really learn alot from u guys!!!

my suggested crop with 4:3 ratio

2300746633_550cd16053_o.jpg

originally posted photo has too much space on the left. elements are heavily slanted to the right, which is fine in some cases but does not work here. i find that the lone flower to the left of the bee action does add to the picture somehow, by providing a stronger sense of setting.

the new crop does not work for me. much weaker compositionally as there is this huge burst of yellow dominating the picture, no one will notice the bee already

Good effort for a first try!
I would suggest leaving the unopened flower in the frame to draw attention to the main subject (bee obtaining nectar from flower), as well as to balance the main subject compositionally. Here, the framing and cropping can make all the difference to the photo. Frame it too wide, and the impact of the subject is lost. Frame it too tight, and the photo lacks interest. I would suggest a crop somewhere in between the original photo and night86mare's suggested crop, which is to crop away some of the bottom, and less off the left part of the photo, and to try to place the main points of interest according to the rule of thirds. At the same time, increase the contrast of the pic to bring out the vibrant yellows more.

e.g.
IMG_0525_rev_1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Superb

Status
Not open for further replies.