First try at watch photography

djchris

Jul 21, 2002
www.confusedillusions.com
seiko-monster.jpg

seiko-sbgr019-1.jpg

seiko-sbgr019-2.jpg

seiko-sbgr019-3.jpg

This is my first try on product photography. One of the biggest problem I faced was handling the reflections and achieving the intended shadow effect. Using a DIY light tent setup. I think my lamps are not strong enough.

Would be grateful to hear some comments.

Thanks for your time.

Hi djchris,

Your shots are sharp and well taken.
I think it would creat a better impact if you
do a more macro shots on watches like cropping the
shots. That would give some impact on the shots ! :)

:)

Hi djchris,

Your shots are sharp and well taken.
I think it would creat a better impact if you
do a more macro shots on watches like cropping the
shots. That would give some impact on the shots ! :)

:)

Like this perhaps ;)

explorer2zoom.jpg

I like your exposure and lighting for the photos, but I find the watches lying on their sides abit wrong to me, don't really like to read 'seiko' sideways

Try having the watch upright? I feel like I am tilting my head to see the picture.

This is my first try on product photography. One of the biggest problem I faced was handling the reflections and achieving the intended shadow effect. Using a DIY light tent setup. I think my lamps are not strong enough.

Thanks for your time.

[vid]JP3ykBzk_RU[/vid]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP3ykBzk_RU

Alright, we finally finished the image.

After 10 HOURS of total work, about 5 in the studio shooting the watch and about 5 in PhotoShop afterwards, touching up the watch and getting the background looking great and Splicing the two together, here is the final image {at 9:52secs}

The main problem is, as you identified, knowing where to place the shadows and highlights ... and HOW to CONTROL them.

Usually, and IMO, a light tent may not be the most suitable lighting aid.

The thing to remember is you're not actually lighting the watch - you're lighting objects AROUND the watch and then the watch will reflect those objects in it {3:51secs}

Most enthusiasts get results in what looks to be a very flat watch or watches with unflattering shadows and highlights and reflections (of the tent!) or room.

seiko-monster.jpg

seiko-sbgr019-1.jpg

seiko-sbgr019-2.jpg

seiko-sbgr019-3.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Heys I'm using the exact same watch as #1 haha cool :) nicely taken sharp shots but otherwise, I hafta agree with the others on getting closer up shots :)

Thanks for the comments.

As the lens I am using is not a macro lens, I can't do a good closeup of the watch. Will try a tighter crop to see how it would look like.

Will try shooting them vertically and see how it goes.

Thanks for the comments.

As the lens I am using is not a macro lens, I can't do a good closeup of the watch. Will try a tighter crop to see how it would look like.

Will try shooting them vertically and see how it goes.

get a smaller f-stop like f16 + flash and cropping ur pics without having to worry bout softness shouldnt be a prob ;) my2c btw some non-macro lenses have the potential for macro work due to their very short minimal focal lengths ... i got some very up-close shots with the 17-40 f4L uwa zoom before :eek:

orange monster and a grand seiko.
i would suggest getting a watch stand to prop uo the watches.
thanks for sharing.

[vid]JP3ykBzk_RU[/vid]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP3ykBzk_RU

The main problem is, as you identified, knowing where to place the shadows and highlights ... and HOW to CONTROL them.

Usually, and IMO, a light tent may not be the most suitable lighting aid.

Most enthusiasts get results in what looks to be a very flat watch or watches with unflattering shadows and highlights and reflections (of the tent!) or room.

Hi Dream Merchant,

Thanks for sharing the video. It's really inspirational and I hope to improve my shots from what I learnt from there next.