First try at animal photograhy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoo

Jan 4, 2008
Choa Chu Kang, S'pore
i'm a newbie and this is my first try at animal photography.
i'm still trying to learn about apperture and shutter speed combination, i tried shooting at full manual mode and end up with disastous outcome, with this pic i used program (P) mode. it was shot using a Nikon D70s, Tamron AF70-300 F4-5.6 Di LD Macro (1:2)

it seems that its a little underexposed. i didn't use my flash as i thought that it is not allowed and didn't bother to asked. as this is my first try im quite satisfied but i want to know if you have any suggestions to make some improvements. C&C will be really appreciated.

http://wahoofrix.multiply.com/photos/photo/2/1

i'm a newbie and this is my first try at animal photography.
i'm still trying to learn about apperture and shutter speed combination, i tried shooting at full manual mode and end up with disastous outcome, with this pic i used program (P) mode. it was shot using a Nikon D70s, Tamron AF70-300 F4-5.6 Di LD Macro (1:2)

it seems that its a little underexposed. i didn't use my flash as i thought that it is not allowed and didn't bother to asked. as this is my first try im quite satisfied but i want to know if you have any suggestions to make some improvements. C&C will be really appreciated.

u cant link it this way, bro.

http://wahoofrix.multiply.com/photos/photo/2/1

please note that critique request is limited to 1 image per week.

extra image removed.

I personally like #2, but there's too much space on the right half of the pic. Unless u want to full the tigers head fully into the frame, that'll be good, otherwise the empty frame would waste megapixels, lol. Also nicer if the tiger looks more engaging, as in more towards the cam. #1 is too centered without the body, didn't tell much. Maybe shoot fr higher or lower angle with the tiger looking down would look more dramatic.

Second one looks better to me too but it might look better if it was cropped slightly tighter giving more focus to the tiger's gaze. Lighting-wse I guess you cant do much but its pretty bad as the foliage in the background is brighter than the tiger's face and thus distracts alot from your main subject. The sunlight falling on the side of the tigers face and back is quite nice but the shadow on the face seems to suggest that perhaps that is not your main subject again.

Second one looks better to me too but it might look better if it was cropped slightly tighter giving more focus to the tiger's gaze. Lighting-wse I guess you cant do much but its pretty bad as the foliage in the background is brighter than the tiger's face and thus distracts alot from your main subject. The sunlight falling on the side of the tigers face and back is quite nice but the shadow on the face seems to suggest that perhaps that is not your main subject again.

i didn't use any flash or fill light on this. the shot was taken late in the morning, i agree tht the lighting is quite bad at that moment. this is also my first try to use the continious-servo AF. thanx for the C&C, i'm learning new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.