First-timer street photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedjak

May 30, 2004
Hi, I'm new in this photography scene. Just thought i'd share some pics here.

wharf.jpg

oldtimer.jpg

buyone.jpg

ch1.jpg

flyman.jpg

foursome.jpg

hornyguy.jpg

bgirl.jpg

not bad at all for a first try! well done.

I think you over do it on the color...or is it my monitor? Anyone else?

yes, the colors are a bit overdone but i like it!

good shots!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the colours are not "normal" coz I was just trying out some effects. I'm using a Canon A80 for the shots.

The first pic came out alittle washed out and I tried to bring out the colours abit to make the lanterns "jump out".

Pics 4 and 5 was an attempt to to create that "clean/sterile" but colourful setting.

Of course, i could be wrong in all these. (that's what you get for editing images at 2 am in the morning, after a long day of shooting :sweat: )

4 is really fascinating... what was the guy doing? Overall, great shots!

Stoned said:
4 is really fascinating... what was the guy doing? Overall, great shots!

It was some fine art performance at citylink. I dunno whats it about, was busy snapping away.

Quick question : For people who do candid/street photography, do you use the flash. I don't like to startle my targets. I find that using the flash makes the images clearer? Why is that? I've got about 300MB worth of blurry images. Any tips? All pictures above taken on A80 on auto mode with flash turned off and wide lens.

Speedjak said:
It was some fine art performance at citylink. I dunno whats it about, was busy snapping away.

Quick question : For people who do candid/street photography, do you use the flash. I don't like to startle my targets. I find that using the flash makes the images clearer? Why is that? I've got about 300MB worth of blurry images. Any tips? All pictures above taken on A80 on auto mode with flash turned off and wide lens.

i don't use the flash. for outdoor shots it's ok, but for indoor shots, i'm always pushing my digicam to the limit... iso400 f2.8 (to get maximum shutter speed). unfortunately iso400 results in "noisy" images. the flash makes the images clearer becos the flash duration is very short (i.e. equivalent of fast shutter speed) so that takes care of any "camera shake". if you are shooting against the light then the flash "fills-in" the lighting for the shadow areas.

oic. Thanks for the info. yeah, I've also been having some problems with indoor (especially low lighting) scene like the last picture of the underpass.

Speedjak said:
oic. Thanks for the info. yeah, I've also been having some problems with indoor (especially low lighting) scene like the last picture of the underpass.

what were your settings for the last shot? sometimes i deliberately underexpose 1-stop in aperture priority mode, then increase the brightness later in PS (bit of a desperate measure actually...) to get an acceptably sharp pic.

your first pic...try croping the top n right side a little...it'll give more focus on the 2 man. the pic has good lines that eventually merge to the front tip of the boat! Cool.

your second pic will be better if the eye-line of the man is about the 1st horizontal third line from the top...it'll look great and should go into your portfolio!

your third pic...crop to focus more on the man.

for the man holding the buffalo...crop the left side until tha blue banner is out of the picture.

As for the rest...please look out for distracting backgrounds, it'll pull your already good focus point out of a viewer's mind.

Thanks for all the tips and comments. I'll be sure to learn from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.