First time shooting with slides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ppl,

Any advice for someone looking to experiment in this for the first time? What 'equipment' is required? Will my film SLR be suitable for this? The cost involved (getting prints,etc.), the common types of slides used...

Thanks!

petaflopz said:
Hi ppl,

Any advice for someone looking to experiment in this for the first time? What 'equipment' is required? Will my film SLR be suitable for this? The cost involved (getting prints,etc.), the common types of slides used...

Thanks!

As usual, there are an assortment of films that you can use. Kodak or Fuji. I tend to prefer those by Fuji. Sensia, Provia, Velvia. All are slide films.

What SLR are you using. it should be able to use slide film, don't see why not. Don't need a special SLR for this. I use a F80 and have no problems.

My experience is that the exposure latitude for slide is very narrow so just meter to correct exposure and shoot. Trying to under or overexpose tends to have not so nice shots (pehaps I'm just lousy :D)

Prints form your slide film can be quite expensive. Development cost ard 6-10 depends on whether u want your slides mounted or not.

Hi coke21,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a Minolta Dynax 505si Super. Wah! The cost is so high ah!!! :bigeyes: What other alternatives if I want more saturated colours and details for my pics??? get myself a seagull and switch to medium format? ;p

petaflopz said:
Hi coke21,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a Minolta Dynax 505si Super. Wah! The cost is so high ah!!! :bigeyes: What other alternatives if I want more saturated colours and details for my pics??? get myself a seagull and switch to medium format? ;p

thats one option or shoot digital and then use photoshop lor...haha

petaflopz said:
Hi coke21,

Thanks for your reply.

yeah yeah seagull!!!! super budget camera.... 300 bucks can already...
but you still will have to shoot slides for the saturated colours...
if you must shoot negatives, try fuji reala100... my fav...

Just load the film and shoot.

Personally I think the fear over slides is just overhyped; while having a much narrower exposure lattitude, it's not impossible to use it (the way it's been described is as though it can't deviated more than 1/3 a stop; it can). Even with a simple centreweighted meter and a little thinking, most shots will turn out fine.

showtime said:
yeah yeah seagull!!!! super budget camera.... 300 bucks can already...
but you still will have to shoot slides for the saturated colours...
if you must shoot negatives, try fuji reala100... my fav...

Erm no need 300 bucks... I got my Seagull at John 3:16 for $195.

Slide films I recommend Fuji Velvia and Provia.

Any SLR body can do the job.

Exposure should be metered to exact exposure. Under or over exposing slides will not turn out well. (in general)

Prints are quite expensive (you can check out RGB). Usually we develop only (mount or unmounted) then scan.

Any film camera can use slides/positives. This includes but not limited Holga 120s or the lomo. Even kodakmatic or vivitar P&S works.

re: Seagull: shop around i guess. it seems that the new stocks out there are the model with the winding crank?

a few years back I bought a basic 4BI for less than $100 at Ruby photo.

There are 2 current models of the Seagull available in Singapore (can buy from Konota).

4A-105 - 3 element lens, no winding crank, no locking lever $195.
4A-107 - 4 element lens, has winding crank and locking lever $295.

The 4A-109 is not available in Singapore (too expensive $400+).

The 4B series are probably the older models.

Minolta recently took over the Shanghai factory making the Seagulls, and quality control has apparently improved tremendously since then. That's why I was able to buy my Seagull with some assurance that it would work.

Slides can be used even on P&S. I have good results on the Yashica T Zoom.

You can develop slides with mounts for ~$8 per roll.

petaflopz said:
Hi coke21,

Thanks for your reply.

No harm just giving it a try. You could get some of the bulk-rolled slides sold by Dagger to make it cheaper than boxed slides. For development, go unmounted at RGB at Beach Road - turnaround is usually fast, under $5.

igpenguin said:
No harm just giving it a try. You could get some of the bulk-rolled slides sold by Dagger to make it cheaper than boxed slides. For development, go unmounted at RGB at Beach Road - turnaround is usually fast, under $5.

That price is for students only rite?

Hmmm... that's the price I have been getting all the while. Similar pricing for MF slides. Maybe I still look like a student... :)

I think students can get a further discount with an ID card?

igpenguin said:
Hmmm... that's the price I have been getting all the while. Similar pricing for MF slides. Maybe I still look like a student... :)

I think students can get a further discount with an ID card?

students pay 4.15 for that...

Talking about Seagull, don't get the one with winding crank because I have heard of many cases where the mechanism spoils after some time.

Speaking of discounts... I was charged $4.70 when I developed my E6. One was a bulk roll (Provia 100F) where the other one was Kodachrome EV100S or something....

Status
Not open for further replies.