First time macro shoot at SBG 19/02/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

tltan

Apr 18, 2005
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,

Recently acquire a Tamron 90 and absolutely love the world it opens me to in terms of photography. This is my first trip to SBG with this lens and although the hit rates (good shots to bad shots) is pretty poor, I am still getting use to it. Hope to be able to produce nicer pictures as those produced by the ppl here!

Please C&C the below for me to learn better.

(1) Dragonfly hiding below small flower
101696717_4599a26885.jpg

(2) Slightly better view
101696722_767b6072a3.jpg

(3) Another view of the same dragonfly
101696725_9fb60be63d.jpg

Another few shots coming upz

(4) Now you see me, now you don't
101685534_c1571f730b.jpg

(5) ok lah, let you see a bit more
101685561_52852dbbfa.jpg

(6) another pose..swee boh? but very distracting
101685574_54ab4bb2ae.jpg

(7) last picture. haiz. not much nice ones.
101685550_ce8cf2abc8.jpg

Just when I was getting the hang of it. two things happen to cut short my trip at SBG.
(1) Tripod spoiled. All the above was handheld and I wanted to use tripod to take some sharper pics...Free tripod cant expect much...
(2) Battery flat. Forgot to charge battery after shooting long exposures CNY last day at Esplanade..haiz.

Nevertheless, I am happy with the lens. Gurus in this please critique! hope to learn lots here!

Regards,
tltan

Nice 1st time try. Shoot more post more. Might bump into you one of these day @ SBG but I still don't know how you look like. Only know you wear a hat.

;)

Hi Darkforce,

Thanks for the comments. Am learning. Will shoot more definitely. But only have time on weekends. haha.

Anyway, I will recognize your gears. haha. then maybe will call out to you! Good luck bro.

Regards,
tltan

Those are not dragonfly. They are damselfly. I personally would prefer a tighter crop to exclude the OOF flower. Its very distracting.

Hi Deswitch,

Thanks for the comment. I was thinking of doing hat as well. Damselfly yah. ehehe..still dont know how to name them properly.

as for cropping off the flower, yeh. I was thinking of doing that when I was processing the pictures. But didnt do it as I want to know what the damselfly is stuck to. Indeed, I should have remove it as its too bright and distracting. Will bear in mind that!

Best Regards,
tltan

DeSwitch said:
Those are not dragonfly. They are damselfly. I personally would prefer a tighter crop to exclude the OOF flower. Its very distracting.

Does this cropping from the above work?

102542818_fbf287560d.jpg

Thanks,
tltan

tltan said:
Does this cropping from the above work?

this one looks better. your images are nice! i haven't had much luck with macro @ SBG cuz of the lack of time. perhaps after my exams are done i'll try spending my whole day there ;)

have been a few occasions i've seen some pro guys @ work but i'm not sure if they're from CS;p

keep up the macro man :thumbsup:

The re-crop pic is better but the OOF abdomen of the DF is distracting. Try to parallel you lens plane with the insect and get lower to its eyes level.

Anyway, this is your first time, I wont ask u not to shoot is cant reach the eye level but very soon after you shoot enuff, you will get what I mean by forget about shooting it if you cant get to shoot it ideally.

Just my 2 cents. Keep it up.

btw, my fav is #4.

sumball said:
The re-crop pic is better but the OOF abdomen of the DF is distracting. Try to parallel you lens plane with the insect and get lower to its eyes level.

Anyway, this is your first time, I wont ask u not to shoot is cant reach the eye level but very soon after you shoot enuff, you will get what I mean by forget about shooting it if you cant get to shoot it ideally.

Just my 2 cents. Keep it up.

btw, my fav is #4.

hi sumball,

thanks for the comments. I personally like #4 as well. Also, I roughly get what you mean. I was wearing white that day and thats a mistake. I should wear green or black then can prone down and do some shooting. Will remember to do that next time to get to the plane. Yeah, you got it right I was shooting from a wrong angle...actually, I didnt realise until you point it out! =) Experience is very important. Will hope to learn more here!

Thanks again and nice day,
tltan

DeSwitch said:
Better. my eyes now being directed to the Damselfly and not the flower. Very sharp.

Thanks a lot for the pointer. Will remember these things. =)

Regards,
tltan

Status
Not open for further replies.