First Time corporate event shooting

Profezeur

Apr 20, 2010
Hi everyone..
I've got a friend wanting me to cover his small corporate event.
I was wondering the type of equipment i should bring to the events.
I already have a 50D, 17-40L and a 50mm 1.8. Wat else should i bring?
I was thinking of bringing along a 580EX II.

(Items like namecards, extra memory cards, batteries have alr been packed)

Your Views are greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone..

you should bring along an experienced photographer.... :bsmilie:
hehehehe

anyway, you're bringing along namecards, which suggests to me that you're trying to get yourself known to future customers.
so this is a business venture and not some favour for your friend (ie. free).

If you are unsure of what equipment to bring, that means you don't have confidence in yourself to decide.
so do you have confidence in yourself to deliver?

Hmm... I'm really not thinking of going into this type of photography.... Really.
The namecards are just for networking and stuff like that. Not so much abt getting known to 'future clients'

I'm unsure of wat to bring cos this is my first time doing anything like this so i dun really know the type of equipment required.

I've talked to an experienced photographer friend of mine and he has agreed to come along with me, but highly advises to leave the 50mm at home (which was wat i was thinking)
But he hasnt told me anything abt equipment (he feels its better for me to find out myself as opposed to him telling me, in other words, he enjoys watching me suffer this dilemma)

I suppose the best way to learn is by being thrown in the deep end :)
You can give yourself the best chance by being prepared. Know the venue and know what kind of shots you're expected to take.
You say that you have a 580EXII. Do you know how to use it well? I'm not talking about basic stuff like inserting batteries and powering on... I mean do you know how to tweak the flash output and other parameters on the fly, to achieve the result you need?

Haha.. Uh-oh...
I usually stick it on E-TTL and plonk on a lightsphere, keeping it pointed up most of the time.
I have a feeling i shld just leave this to the pros.
I just wanna try it out this one time.

Venue's not confirmed. But i just want to be as prepared as i can be so that i dun drown when thrown into the deep end...

what you have done would probably work most of the time.
But if the ceiling is very high, you won't be able to bounce the flash. So then you need to know what to do :)

sorry to stress you out. If you HAVE to deliver results, you need to be prepared :)

It's all depends on the corporate event, indoor/outdoor/stage/Light condition/stage performance and so on.

In general you will require two bodies, one with wider such as 24-70 f/2.8 (for FF) or 17-55 f/2.8 (for Crop) for common shots and another with a tele such as 70-200 f/2.8 or prime such as 135 f/2L (for FF) or 85 f/1.8 (for crop) for candid shots.

You have a good flash, LEARN to use it. I said LEARN. Specially for those fast action shots, where your flash goes hay wire without proper synchronization. Learn to bounce properly

And finally, 17-70 f/4 will be good with natural light but may not be that good for indoor shots.

People behind the camera makes the difference, until then the equipments compensate.

I think it's rather overkill to have such a set-up for EVERY event.
Neither do I believe that an f/4 lens is unsuitable for indoors.
It's funny how we have people swearing by fast lenses, yet sometimes the same people go "oh, you need at least f/5.6 or f/8 for sufficient DOF when taking group photos."

2 camera bodies is always ideal to have, obviously. But it's not a must, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
I think it's rather overkill to have such a set-up for EVERY event.
Neither do I believe that an f/4 lens is unsuitable for indoors.
It's funny how we have people swearing by fast lenses, yet sometimes the same people go "oh, you need at least f/5.6 or f/8 for sufficient DOF when taking group photos."

2 camera bodies is always ideal to have, obviously. But it's not a must, that's all I'm saying.

I would just say once again it all depends.

If you are paid for your service, do a justice to who are paying for you. If a free amateur event then a PnS is also OK.

There are different scenarios and you need different f ... a noob will also know that simple fact.

2 camera bodies, once again depends.... if you are covering a slow paced event, you will have plenty of time to change your lenses... or else you are in trouble!!. Once again, if your organiser saw you changing your lenses frequently, they will smell something wrong.

Bottom line is, if you carry a capable setup, you can always step down... but same not true when you feel handicapped at the mid of a shooting.

Hi everyone..

Flash is essential, bring it.
Difusser is a plus, bring it.

One thing u have to take note is, if it is a indoor event with space constraints, ur 17-40L might not be wide enough on ur APS-C Sensor body (50D)

If its paid event, i will bring 2 bodies with a mid range zoom and a fast teleprime, 2 flashes and spare batts.. :)

50d+10-22+flash(w/diffuser attached)+memory cards

you're good to go

DO NOT mistake MORE EQUIPTMENT to replace confidence and shooting creativity

No I don't swear by fast lens. But there is a different between f/5.6 or f/8 from a fast lens and f/5.6 or f/8 from a 'slow lens'.

Hi everyone..

What you have there mate is good enough. Go out practise more before the event so you know roughly what to expect. I shoot most of my company's event and mind you they are no fun. However, the end result is satisfying. :cool:

corporate events dull and boring things to shoot..

but pay relatively well and bring in tonnes of referral plus drinks and gals *hic* after the official hours..:bsmilie:

No I don't swear by fast lens. But there is a different between f/5.6 or f/8 from a fast lens and f/5.6 or f/8 from a 'slow lens'.

dun mind if i ask, what is the difference?

Thanks everyone for all their advice! Appreciate it alot...
I'll keep this in mond and try and borrow a FF body from a friend...

If i get anymore info, I'll keep this thread updated!

Till then,
Cheers!

you should bring along an experienced photographer....

Best answer of them all...:thumbsup:

It's all depends on the corporate event, indoor/outdoor/stage/Light condition/stage performance and so on.

In general you will require two bodies, one with wider such as 24-70 f/2.8 (for FF) or 17-55 f/2.8 (for Crop) for common shots and another with a tele such as 70-200 f/2.8 or prime such as 135 f/2L (for FF) or 85 f/1.8 (for crop) for candid shots.

You have a good flash, LEARN to use it. I said LEARN. Specially for those fast action shots, where your flash goes hay wire without proper synchronization. Learn to bounce properly

And finally, 17-70 f/4 will be good with natural light but may not be that good for indoor shots.

People behind the camera makes the difference, until then the equipments compensate.
Most comprehensive answer.:thumbsup:

50d+10-22+flash(w/diffuser attached)+memory cards

you're good to go

DO NOT mistake MORE EQUIPTMENT to replace confidence and shooting creativity
Most simplest (and still good) answer.:thumbsup:

What you have there mate is good enough. Go out practise more before the event so you know roughly what to expect. I shoot most of my company's event and mind you they are no fun. However, the end result is satisfying.
Most practical answer... :thumbsup:

Flash is essential, bring it.
Difusser is a plus, bring it.

One thing u have to take note is, if it is a indoor event with space constraints, ur 17-40L might not be wide enough on ur APS-C Sensor body (50D)

If its paid event, i will bring 2 bodies with a mid range zoom and a fast teleprime, 2 flashes and spare batts..
Most professional answer. :thumbsup:

Last edited: