First test on long exposure shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira Fudou

May 24, 2005
Woodlands
Yesterday night went Marina Barrage for some night shot of the flyer. My first ever test on long exposure shot,

First pic: Bulb mode expose for 2min at F25 60mm using remote
3878984904_85313c93dd.jpg

Second pic: Long exposure 30sec at F13 46mm using self-timer
3878197345_afb21f94be.jpg

Realised that second pic is much sharper when i view them in their original size. Could the focal length be the culprit here for the difference in sharpness??
Both pic were taken with delay exposure mode on. Was told that this setting does not matter when using self-timer. is it true??

Btw im using D90 with Tamron 28-75mm.

F25 will invite diffraction le. thats why not sharp. F13 is much better to shoot with. Anything over f16 is inviting trouble, unless u want it on purpose.

Anyway if you like long exposure, u can stack 2 ND400 (9 stop) hoya filters =P hehehe. or B+W ND140 (14 stop) =X haha

sorry, noob here, what is diffraction? how is it related to f stop?

sorry, noob here, what is diffraction? how is it related to f stop?

There is this thing called Search function here, and there is Google. Found it? :) - Beside this, half of your question is already answered...

Realised that second pic is much sharper when i view them in their original size. Could the focal length be the culprit here for the difference in sharpness??
Both pic were taken with delay exposure mode on. Was told that this setting does not matter when using self-timer. is it true??

Btw im using D90 with Tamron 28-75mm.

i don't know what delay exposure mode is.

but culprit is diffraction, as others have already said.

From what i understand, delay exposure mode is something like mirror locked up... to avoid the mirror flapping to affect the pic quality.
Cant really understand this after much reading

From what i understand, delay exposure mode is something like mirror locked up... to avoid the mirror flapping to affect the pic quality.

mirror lock up?

ah, my camera couples this with self-timer.

well, if your normal self-timer does not have mirror lockup, it is BETTER to make sure it is on. this will prevent vibrations (precisely why you use a tripod to shoot) from the mirror flipping up and down, as you say, and give you sharper pictures.

i don't know what delay exposure mode is.

but culprit is diffraction, as others have already said.

To answer the question, this is from page 183 of Nikon D90 manual...

d10: Exposure Delay Mode

At the default setting of Off, shutter is released when the shutter-release button is pressed. In situations where the slightest camera movement can blur pictures, On can be selected to delay shutter release until about 1s after the shutter-release button is pressed and the mirror is raised. This option is available in all shooting modes.

So, in fact, the mirror doesnt really lock up.. This is just acting like a self timer of 1s delay... I normally just use the self timer function instead of this exposure delay function (where we have to go into the menu to On this then later have to go into menu to Off this again) to prevent blur caused by camera shake from pressing the shutter release button in long exposure.

Last edited:
What abt using a IR remote? do we need to on this feature?

What abt using a IR remote? do we need to on this feature?

i don't know how your camera works.

if your self-timer has mirror lock up function, i.e. when you use self-timer you can HEAR the mirror flipping up FIRST, before the exposure starts, then you do not need to use mirror lock up function (or whatever you call it).

for IR remote, it depends on what sort of shutter speeds you are looking in, in broad daylight, don't need mirror lockup; if you are chancing the shutter speed (i.e. something longer than customary for human subjects), then might as well lock up mirror as well.

At the default setting of Off, shutter is released when the shutter-release button is pressed. In situations where the slightest camera movement can blur pictures, On can be selected to delay shutter release until about 1s after the shutter-release button is pressed and the mirror is raised. This option is available in all shooting modes.

So, in fact, the mirror doesnt really lock up.. This is just acting like a self timer of 1s delay... I normally just use the self timer function instead of this exposure delay function (where we have to go into the menu to On this then later have to go into menu to Off this again) to prevent blur caused by camera shake from pressing the shutter release button in long exposure.

Thats mirror lock up... Mirror locks into the up position, gives it a pause to let vibration die, then shutter opens.

I think you're confusing mirror lock up, if the mirror is locked up even before you press the shutter release, you can only rely on liveview to compose your photo.

Thats mirror lock up... Mirror locks into the up position, gives it a pause to let vibration die, then shutter opens.

I think you're confusing mirror lock up, if the mirror is locked up even before you press the shutter release, you can only rely on liveview to compose your photo.

Ok Thanks!!! I know mirror locked up means the mirror raised in the up position.. but i was confused by the sentence in the manual.. :dunno: "delay shutter release until about 1s after the shutter-release button is pressed and the mirror is raised".. That's why i thought it meant the mirror will only lock up one sec later after the shutter-release button is pressed..

So, to confirm.. "for the delay exposure function, we press the shutter release button, mirror locks up to the UP position, 1s later the shutter opens", right?

yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters. -_-

Thanks to the TS and all the experienced bros, I have learned something new again today about diffraction at small aperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.