First Step into Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapit

Jan 11, 2012
Bukit Batok
Hi everyone,

this is my first post and I hope I can gather some feedback.

I plan to buy a Canon 60D with Kit III, a prime EF50mm f/1.8 II and UWA EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

This will be my first camera and my interest is in landscape/cityscape photography.

The 60D body should be sufficient to support my first step into photography. I don't see myself changing the body soon (probably the next upgrade for me will be switching to one of those high end FF, though I do not know how to appreciate them yet), so I feel it will be a worthy investment.

Since my interest is in landscape/cityscape, I plan to invest in the UWA EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

I will be getting the prime EF50mm f/1.8 II for the occasional portrait shot since it is cheap.

Kit III, 18mm - 200mm will be useful for general purpose, street shot and everything else.

I will worry about accessories such as spare batteries, sd cards, dry cabinet, tripod, etc later. :cool:

Comments?

Go, get it, start shooting. Read the stickies, learn about the basics. Worry less, shoot more. Get a dry cabinet.

Octarine said:
Go, get it, start shooting. Read the stickies, learn about the basics. Worry less, shoot more. Get a dry cabinet.

+1 to this, just go get it n shoot,

Dry cabinet is important.

That setup is good enough. And since you have done your research and stuff like that, you can forget about what other people who will try to tell you other brands are good and more worth the value and stuff like that.

As long as you are comfortable with what you have mentioned, then get it and have fun with photography.

And yes... do invest in a good tripod and a dry cabinet of all the accessories first (I think Canon do provide you with a very very good tripod that should be able to last you for sometime).

yea get a dry cab the rest worry later.

Sounds like a plan ;)

Hi everyone,

I plan to buy a Canon 60D with Kit III, a prime EF50mm f/1.8 II and UWA EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

This will be my first camera and my interest is in landscape/cityscape photography.

The 60D body should be sufficient to support my first step into photography. I don't see myself changing the body soon (probably the next upgrade for me will be switching to one of those high end FF, though I do not know how to appreciate them yet), so I feel it will be a worthy investment.

Since my interest is in landscape/cityscape, I plan to invest in the UWA EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

I will be getting the prime EF50mm f/1.8 II for the occasional portrait shot since it is cheap.

Kit III, 18mm - 200mm will be useful for general purpose, street shot and everything else.

I will worry about accessories such as spare batteries, sd cards, dry cabinet, tripod, etc later. :cool:

Comments?

Sounds like you've already made your plan :)

Just worried that you're overspending that's all.
Kit III (w 18-200) isn't particularly cheap. Neither is the 10-22. Have you set yourself a firm budget to stick to?

Kit III (w 18-200) isn't particularly cheap. Neither is the 10-22. Have you set yourself a firm budget to stick to?

I don't have an exact budget but I don't want to regret buying the excessive or redundant stuff.

A bit hesitant on the UWA lens but I will want to take quality landscape photos. As for the kit III, my friend suggest just grab it since the zoom range is good for beginner and I can always sell it off.

if you're gonna to upgrade to ff cameras in future, perhaps 10-22 might not be a good option? its mount is meant for crop bodies.. unless of course you don't mind selling 10-22 when you upgrade to ff.

Hi everyone,

Comments?

Hello John,

Firstly, welcome to CS and I hope you enjoy your stay. =)

Sounds like a plan and a very well thought-through at that. I have a suggestion but not sure what you would say to that. Why not get the dry cab first, and get the 18mm-200mm next month or another time. Your lenses and body need a place to stay and stay safe.

if you're gonna to upgrade to ff cameras in future, perhaps 10-22 might not be a good option? its mount is meant for crop bodies.. unless of course you don't mind selling 10-22 when you upgrade to ff.

Hmm, don't think I got much of a choice cause I will never know when I will be getting ff (very expensive and I still beginner). I weigh my options and decide getting 10-22 as the best option. Unless, there is some alternative I'm unaware?

Hello John,

Firstly, welcome to CS and I hope you enjoy your stay. =)

Sounds like a plan and a very well thought-through at that. I have a suggestion but not sure what you would say to that. Why not get the dry cab first, and get the 18mm-200mm next month or another time. Your lenses and body need a place to stay and stay safe.

I believe the kit lens come with the body? I'm more excited getting the camera first (my friend helping me to pull string to get discount for me, will buy when is confirm). The dry cabinet can wait? I mean missing it out a few days or weeks shouldn't have much effect.

Just Go get 'em! Seriously.

FF is probably out of my sight for at least 3 years

No exact budget but will not want to spend on excessive or redundant stuff.

Friend recommend kit III cause is good for beginner and I can always sell it off.

I will be photographing landscape often so I need that UWA, unless there are better alternatives?

Got a few friend told me they wont go FF so fast, but in the end all went to FF, except me HAHA!

No skill and no money for money. :cry:

Just curious, what the average time it took for your friends to change to ff?

Completely irrelevant, FF is no guarantee for better results. It only offers higher price tags for equipment ..
A cheaper way to go FF is getting a film camera.

Last edited:
No skill and no money for money. :cry:

haha within 1 year (IIRC) -.-! cant really remember how long also

alright we shall stop to prevert OT-ing, ENJOY UR NEW TOY SOON!

Completely irrelevant, FF is no guarantee for better results. It only offers higher price tags for equipment ..

yup this is true~! after they changed I still see not much different also haha (guess they just change for the sake of chaging or whatever reason),

It's the skill not the equipment,

Status
Not open for further replies.