First Step for Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidden3

Aug 20, 2007
Sengkang
www.flickr.com
I am not really that new to this forum, but new in taking picture with the dSLR. just bought my 400D recently (less than a week), and i hope to have advice from you people to the first step for me ( or other beginners).

Where should i start from? ( like learn more about exposure, composition of pictures etc)

I am thinking of going to the library to borrow some books about Photography but not sure how i am going to apply it while shooting.

Library is a good step. Other than that, I suggest you READ THE STICKIES right here in the newbie corner.

for the technical part, shutter speed, aperture........i think u will learn it by trail and error
for composition and angles and the creative eye that i think u have to shoot shoot shoot!
and when u borrow books bout photography from the library make sure it bout digital not film.

STEP1: read ur camera's user manual
STEP2: borrow some books to read.
STEP3: look at what others had taken.
STEP4: go out and shoot.
STEP5: go home and see the shots u've taken.
STEP6: think about why u screw up some of the shots, what u did right or wrong.
STEP7: do some self-reflection.
STEP8: go back to step 2

Library is a good step. Other than that, I suggest you READ THE STICKIES right here in the newbie corner.

Thanks! Yeah, I've read most of them already.

for the technical part, shutter speed, aperture........i think u will learn it by trail and error
for composition and angles and the creative eye that i think u have to shoot shoot shoot!
and when u borrow books bout photography from the library make sure it bout digital not film.

Oh thanks for mentioning that, later borrow the books come back home then puzzled, then how come my camera dont have this or that ar. Haha.

I used to get books from library. But i find online sources more informative and more dynamic most of the time.

This was literally my first read before i bought my camera. Although the author is a Canon user, the general principles apply for every brand.

Zoosh created and maintained a repository of useful info and link here

Ryan

I used to get books from library. But i find online sources more informative and more dynamic most of the time.

This was literally my first read before i bought my camera. Although the author is a Canon user, the general principles apply for every brand.

Zoosh created and maintained a repository of useful info and link here

Ryan

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/, yup, i read all the articles there, very useful and informative as well. Other articles include their lenses and filters and even flash photography. =)

go out and shoot, review and shoot again

u can join an outing and learn from more senior photographers, as long as they are willing to teach, and not trying to psycho you to upgrade your gear.

yea, best advice is to go out and shoot with someone experienced. i find most books are confusing until you have some experience with the camera. so go find someone to shoot with and learn the basics. then hit the books for more technical knowledge. be sure to pickup some books on composition and that kinda stuff. those guidelines will help until you develop your own style of shooting.

have fun shooting!

today went with one guy to shoot! learn alot of things today! quite satisfied with my shoot, will post some pictures mayb in the newbie corner?

not bad for a start.. for the 4th post, quite diff for a newbie to do step6. cos he himself wun noe if he is shooting something right or wrong. go shoot with someone experienced or let someone with experience review for u.

I am not really that new to this forum, but new in taking picture with the dSLR. just bought my 400D recently (less than a week), and i hope to have advice from you people to the first step for me ( or other beginners).

Where should i start from? ( like learn more about exposure, composition of pictures etc)

I am thinking of going to the library to borrow some books about Photography but not sure how i am going to apply it while shooting.

For a start, I would recommend Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" and "Learning to see creatively". That would give you a basic understanding on exposures and composition rules.

Do look out for the Learner's Outing (LO) by Azure in the Gathering and Outings section. I've attended and find it informative and helpful for newbie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.