First shots with Light tent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcy85

Dec 16, 2004
www.flickr.com
Hi all, just bought myself a light tent, and tot of sharing the first few shots i took with it. Will greatly appreciate any c&c, especially with regards to exposure and lighting, and any tips with using light tents would be nice!

3279326978_13e32456fc.jpg

3276304459_b813a89f94.jpg

3277122918_04b65e4466.jpg

3277122322_5111276f5c.jpg

3276302759_be5d63726e.jpg

(bothered by the reflections of the lighting on the 'flower' at the top of the pen, any solutions would be nice!)

Thanks for viewing, and C&C please all!

Nice photos. Can you share where you bought the light tent? I am also looking for one. Thanks!

Hi bro, I bought mine from an online shop in Malaysia here (i'm from JB):

http://www.yamiya.com.my/store/product.php?productid=17604&cat=379&page=1

but i think tagotech has a similar one too:

http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=74

Also can anyone advise on how to DIY my own lights for an 80cm light tent? I know alot of ppl recommended buying 30W daylight bulbs to fix into light stands from ikea, but i'm not sure if it's powerful enough for a 80cm tent. Any advice will be appreciated :)

Your first shots are impressive.:thumbsup:

nice nice...i like the last 1

Your first shots are impressive.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments =D

not bad but the black pens need more side light to add a contrast.

Hey bro, I was just about to PM you. I dug out some really old post you made regarding DIY lighting for your light tent, so did you manage to use the 65w bulbs on Ikea light stands? Also where can I get the bulbs? I was contemplating buying the lights from Tagotech here:

http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_30&products_id=207

Wondering if it's worth it to DIY or just buy from them?

I love #1. Great shot in my point of view.

Did you use light source ? 1 or 2 light source for most of the shots ? Or just external flash from camera eg. ex580II .. Thanks.

Did you use light source ? 1 or 2 light source for most of the shots ? Or just external flash from camera eg. ex580II .. Thanks.

Hi bro, coz i only have one canon 430EX flash, I used a very unorthodox method. I set to long exposure at least 5 sec for each shot. Then during that 5 sec, i manually fire that one flash i have at the top, right and left of the tent haha. Abit pathetic i know, but the only method i currently have haha! Just bot myself 2 more vivitar 285HV flashes, just gonna get some wireless flash and trigger to complete this =D

Hi bro, coz i only have one canon 430EX flash, I used a very unorthodox method. I set to long exposure at least 5 sec for each shot. Then during that 5 sec, i manually fire that one flash i have at the top, right and left of the tent haha. Abit pathetic i know, but the only method i currently have haha! Just bot myself 2 more vivitar 285HV flashes, just gonna get some wireless flash and trigger to complete this =D

u might as well use light painting... lol...

5 sec and you did not even over expose.

tomorrow packing my mini studio which i left vacant for almost a year... kena nag about it already... see what i can dig up from there, probably can try doing a shoot with it.

u might as well use light painting... lol...

5 sec and you did not even over expose.

tomorrow packing my mini studio which i left vacant for almost a year... kena nag about it already... see what i can dig up from there, probably can try doing a shoot with it.

haha i got inspired to use this method by light painting haha, but i shot in total darkness, so even if u shoot at 30 sec, also will get same result as 5 sec =D but this method really very mafan lar, and definitely cannot use to shoot anything moving...

can't wait to get wireless flash triggers, anyone got any to recommend? need to use with canon 430EXII and Vivitar 285HV

Generally, as far as triggers are concerned, you get what you pay for. Mid level go for Elinchrom Skyports. High end go for Pocket Wizards. Lots of deals around. Watch out for the Vivitar sunc cords. IIRC, they are unique so replacing them should they get damaged can be inconvenient or expensive or both.

Generally, as far as triggers are concerned, you get what you pay for. Mid level go for Elinchrom Skyports. High end go for Pocket Wizards. Lots of deals around. Watch out for the Vivitar sunc cords. IIRC, they are unique so replacing them should they get damaged can be inconvenient or expensive or both.

hey thanks for the info, a quick googling told me i can't afford the skyports =( think i'll try to find one of those ebay triggers instead (anyone with experience in these)... anyways Dream Merchant thanks for the tips ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.