First outing with Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
This is a poor man's version of THE Canon lens to own - the EF 70-200 f2.8.

The reviews of this lens are mostly pretty favourable, and it lives up to its reputation as possibly Sigma's best lens. Focusing is very fast, silent and sharp, even in low light. The weight does not bother me that much. It feels like a big gun when you carry it around (the lens hood makes it even longer), and people don't ask you questions. They just assume you're a pro and stare at you.

Without further ado, here are some shots from today's outing.

IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_8812.JPG

IMG_8816.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG

Originally posted by StreetShooter
The lens is $1400 new. Got it secondhand for $800.

Eh, isn't it 1200+ new?

Anyway, good buy at $800. Some guy tried to sell me at $900+!

Originally posted by YSLee

Eh, isn't it 1200+ new?

Anyway, good buy at $800. Some guy tried to sell me at $900+!

For Nikon users, it's not worth buying the Sigma new. For just a few hundred more, you can get the original Nikon AF 80-200 f2.8D ED-IF. :D Sure, it's got no AFS/HSM, but it still focusses damned fast, and it's a Nikon. :p

But at $800 2nd hand, quite a good buy.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

For Nikon users, it's not worth buying the Sigma new. For just a few hundred more, you can get the original Nikon AF 80-200 f2.8D ED-IF. :D Sure, it's got no AFS/HSM, but it still focusses damned fast, and it's a Nikon. :p

But at $800 2nd hand, quite a good buy.

Regards
CK

It's not IF lar. :p

It's not IF lar. :p

Oops. The AFS one is ED-IF tho. But then, since it does not have a rotating focussing ring and the front element does not rotate and focusses internally, why is it not IF? Even my 28-105 with a rotating focussing ring is called "IF" by Nikon. :D Maybe it's RF (rear focussing)....

Regards
CK

An internal focusing lens does not have a rotating front element (nothing to do with the focusing ring), nor does it have a moving front element (as in the lens shouldn't extend or retract when focusing (nothing to do with zooming). The 80-200 is effectively IF, save for the potential issue of being less sealed to dust with the front element moving in and out and rotating. In practice dust still gets into an IF lens somehow, so really makes little difference.

I'm not a huge fan of the Sigma. $800 is a good price, but I would go with the Nikon AF-D myself. I did so ages ago when I had to repurchase my 80-200. Tested the Sigma briefly in the shop, and wasn't impressed by the gains in focusing speed, nor does FTM work on continuous AF. The biggest drawback (the two factors already mentioned are lmore lack of positives) was the build quality, which didn't feel up to scratch at all. Sigma's made advances with the EX range, but for professional use I still have major doubts. Can't remember about this lens in particular, but the EX 28-70 focuses the wrong way around as well and put me off completely.

Same here. As Jed puts it, the damn focusing goes the other way.. I tried it in the shop and always ended up turning the focusing ring the wrong way. :p

ck: Nikon cheated for the 80-200 AF-n. :D The front element moves in and out (hence the jumpy feeling as the large front element moves in and out at very high speeds), and rotates too. What Nikon did was to extend outer lens barrel and use that as a filter thread. :D

Ah well, different marketing targets I suppose.

I'm an amateur, not a professional. Price is more important than performance to me, but I NEED that f2.8, and Sigma has filled that niche. As for the FTM, I use autofocus ALL the time, so...

Optically it's better than anything I've owned so far. I don't have any L glass to compare it to, so I guess it's a case of not knowing what you're missing. :embrass:

Same here. As Jed puts it, the damn focusing goes the other way.. I tried it in the shop and always ended up turning the focusing ring the wrong way. :p

ck: Nikon cheated for the 80-200 AF-n. :D The front element moves in and out (hence the jumpy feeling as the large front element moves in and out at very high speeds), and rotates too. What Nikon did was to extend outer lens barrel and use that as a filter thread. :D

Ah, no wonder. Very smart of them! Well, I am still quite happy with it (except its weight) :D

Regards
CK

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Ah well, different marketing targets I suppose.

I'm an amateur, not a professional. Price is more important than performance to me, but I NEED that f2.8, and Sigma has filled that niche. As for the FTM, I use autofocus ALL the time, so...

Optically it's better than anything I've owned so far. I don't have any L glass to compare it to, so I guess it's a case of not knowing what you're missing. :embrass:

huh? i would think your 50mm f1.8 would have that slight edge in image quality....

Originally posted by ckiang

Ah, no wonder. Very smart of them! Well, I am still quite happy with it (except its weight) :D

Regards
CK

Light liao loh! Would you like to try the AF-S 80-200? :p

Light liao loh! Would you like to try the AF-S 80-200? :p

I know, I know.... that one is like 200g heavier if I didn't remember wrongly. It will really be nice to have a 80-200 f2.8 which weighs like 800g? :D

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.