First night shot of humans at Esplanade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just copy the image location information and use the IMG tags

3883039500_1ddc784ceb.jpg

like this...

and as for the pic, it's ok on the exposure. A lil bright spots on the face which is still acceptable. But the DOF is too thin and you've focused on the centre area which leaves the 2 subjects on the side out of focus. The BG is a lil too bright. :)

Thanks zac ! so i juz type

It should be

I feel the exposure on the girls are ok. But like zac mention, DOF is thin, but for me, I feel the faces still look ok (at least, in the size on my screen). The problem is the first girl's finger pointing towards the camera. Can see that it's out of focus. Also, how about choosing a better background? Unless there's significance in choosing a construction site? You could've just turned to face the right and you'll have Singapore's CBD as the background. =) Different background would then require a different exposure...

the WB for the background looks ok, but for the faces looks too warm.
The background is really distracting. Of all the views to shoot from that spot (near the merlion), this is one of the worst.
CBD (better), Merlion (better), Esplanade (better), IR under construction (horrible).

sorry can i ask wad u mean by depth of focus thin?? how to improve on tat?

I believe you should be shooting almost wide open. Thus the thin Depth of Field.

I just checked the EXIF, you were at f4.5 and this is why the DOF is thin. Try shooting at about f5.6 to f8 in future.. But you'd have to use a tripod to compensate for the lower shutter speed. :)

Last edited:
hyori said:

google first for an explanation of the term "depth of field" if you don't understand. It's a little bit tough to explain in a post on clubsnap.
Once you understand what depth of field is, you should experiment with the settings on your camera (pay attention to the f/__ value) and also the distance between camera and subject.

Do let us know your findings.
cheers.

Last edited:
thanks! shall try it out in future!

I think the background is slightly overexpose and hence make the correctly exposed girls 'relatively dark'. Don't you find that your eyes tend to stray to the left corner and get írritated' when you loook at the pic? I would think a 1-stop for background would have been better. - my opinion only - not a learned critic.

i think the WB is mismatched. u done PP on it b4?

Alot of problems with this shot le...

First of, shooting at night with VERY bright background behind subject and no fill flash. Background will be overexposed for sure.

step 1) change shoot orientation. Turn 180 degrees, Shenton way background better , as stated above.

Step 2) Use ur camera flash, use tissuepaper to diffuse it. (cheapo method, but it works)

Step 3) smaller F size, rear curtain flash.

Step 4) Either adjust WB in PP or do a custom WB setting. Since their growns are Black and white? (eh should be blue and white right? haah) But warm setting also works for this. So should be No Problem.

Alot of problems with this shot le...

First of, shooting at night with VERY bright background behind subject and no fill flash. Background will be overexposed for sure.

step 1) change shoot orientation. Turn 180 degrees, Shenton way background better , as stated above.

Step 2) Use ur camera flash, use tissuepaper to diffuse it. (cheapo method, but it works)

Step 3) smaller F size, rear curtain flash.

Step 4) Either adjust WB in PP or do a custom WB setting. Since their growns are Black and white? (eh should be blue and white right? haah) But warm setting also works for this. So should be No Problem.

so i should be using flash on a nite shot?? but tat will make the blackgnd very black..

so i should be using flash on a nite shot?? but tat will make the blackgnd very black..

Use slow sync flash, read about this and you'll understand better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.