First Moon Shot

pessimizt

Aug 28, 2006
Had a try on the moon last evening when i looked out of the window in my home.
Immediately splash out the HS10 and took alot of snaps (but mostly all blurred):

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- how to improve the quality and sharpness

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- wish to capture fine details (especially the craters of the moon)

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- handheld with elbows placed on top of kitchen tabletop, set to auto mode (best frame)
- the picture was 100% crop without any pp

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
- still pretty blur (probably i didnt use a tripod and set manually)
- sorry but am a total newbie here.....

C&C welcome ! :embrass:

Moon%20Shot.jpg

i've been trying the same thing as you a few months back. using a 200mm lens, i cant really get close enough to the moon, getting shots almost the same as yours. i guess with the same set up, try these few things i did.

1- focus with liveview on tripod.
with liveview, i can zoom in 10x and see clearly if the craters are in focus or not.

2- remote shutter.

3- post processing.
i increased sharpness to max in lightroom. it did look much better!
also, i cropped and rotated it. i had the moon's shadowed part on below, it looked much better than the original angle.

well, if u are keeping the same set up, that's my 2cents. but do try a 2x converter. it will bring u much nearer!

Thank you !
I just gotten a tripod. Will be lurking around the void deck again.

yes, a tripod will be useful....handheld with long focal length will inevitably be shaky due human movement...if can shoot raw, then you can cheat abit to get faster shutter for handheld..

Wah, i just checked the prices of 2x teleconverters and they are as good as buying half a camera.......

Wah, i just checked the prices of 2x teleconverters and they are as good as buying half a camera.......

btw, extra glass elements usually degrades the IQ...do try out before buying I feel...

Hello ovaltinemilo, thanks for the advise too !
Will try out again with the tripod first.

2nd try.......

Moon%20Shot%202.jpg

2. Still OOF but is the colour ok ?

Moon%20Shot%203.jpg

3. More focused but i think its overexposed ?

C&C welcome ! :D

Take the moon only on Very bright days, no clouds,
1. tripod is a must,
2. do not touch the camera and lens,
3. wireless,
4.add 2x tc.
5. Manual focus with live view
make sure no wind,
mirror up,

Setting is ISO 200, 1/60 - 1/125, F16

1. tripod is a must,
3. wireless,
4.add 2x tc.
make sure no wind,
mirror up,

correct me if i am wrong, but is f16 really necessary? i do not think it would matter since the moon is so far away. i shoot the moon at f5.6 and it looks ok.

correct me if i am wrong, but is f16 really necessary? i do not think it would matter since the moon is so far away. i shoot the moon at f5.6 and it looks ok.

I do feel f16 is abit overkill...f8-f11 shd do the job...if the moon only fills up a very small portion of frame, even f5.6-f7 can do the job.

i usually shoot at f16, though some ppl will say at 5.6 it ill be sharper as it is around infinty, i prefer to stop down abit to f16, rather than shoot wide open, since your lens is 5.6, u can shoot it at around F9.

Take a look at my moon shots
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672320

1. tripod is a must,
3. wireless,
4.add 2x tc.
make sure no wind,
mirror up,

Will take note of the settings.
I dont have the wireless and TC.
But i used timer to replace as wireless. :)

Will try it out the next time. Thanks for input !

I do feel f16 is abit overkill...f8-f11 shd do the job...if the moon only fills up a very small portion of frame, even f5.6-f7 can do the job.

Noted with many thanks !

i usually shoot at f16, though some ppl will say at 5.6 it ill be sharper as it is around infinty, i prefer to stop down abit to f16, rather than shoot wide open, since your lens is 5.6, u can shoot it at around F9.

Your moonshots are superb !!!

Stunning shots! :thumbsup::thumbsup::bsmilie:

Hey ts, the 3rd one is better, lesser noise (did i see wrongly?), clearer details, but the edges of the moon seem a little hmm... uneven. Is it because of the craters?

Last edited:
Stunning shots! :thumbsup::thumbsup::bsmilie:

Hey ts, the 3rd one is better, lesser noise (did i see wrongly?), clearer details, but the edges of the moon seem a little hmm... uneven. Is it because of the craters?

Yah hor.....i think so bah. :dunno:
Anyways, will be more....:)

Moon%20Shot5s.jpg

Which is better ?
Left to right (1, 2, 3, 4). :embrass:

Since when does the Critique corner allow posting multiple images?

Since when does the Critique corner allow posting multiple images?

Oppps, sorry, i will not post anymore in this thread then.

Thanks for pointing me out. :)

lol these pics seem like frm NASA. reminds me of star trek...