First macro attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope107fm

Feb 9, 2008
Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
I took this picture of the Thai Wrightia in my garden as my first attempt at macro. Canon 400d with 18-55mm kit lens at macro setting, handheld without flash. Some basic post processing on Adobe Photoshop 5 to enhance the colour of the flowers and sharpen the image.

Your comment on the composition, cropping, color and any suggestions to improve are welcome.

I am considering buying a Tamron SP AF Di90mm 2.8 macro (272E) lens to seriously get into macro photography. I have read some reviews on the lens and have seen some CS sellers advertising this lens for sale.

2534936399_d26e602ee0.jpg

The background is messy and also tone down on your saturation, could hardly see details on the flowers.

i think you've added too much contrast in the image.

well first time only... just keep in mind the comments given:)

my first impression - oversaturated....:)
composition and cropping wise seems ok to me

ur background also seems grainy... did u use high ISO? or it's because of the size reduction?

my first impression - oversaturated....:)
composition and cropping wise seems ok to me

ur background also seems grainy... did u use high ISO? or it's because of the size reduction?

That is not compression, that should be chroma noise you're seeing.

Thanks for all your constructive comments. I agree the saturation bit was overdone and the background could have been less messy. The ISO was set at 400 in order for me to hold the camera without a tripod. I am still learning about the properties in Photoshop Elements 5 and hopefully next time will be able to remove unwanted background. Once again, thanks guys!:)

Personally, macro does not mean removing any background. It might be useful to read up on "bokeh". Sometimes a nice blurry background enhances the tone and emotion of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.