First Impressions of the Fujifilm X100S...

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
[Mar 2013] Earlier this year, Fujifilm launched its X100S, successor to X100. It inherited much of the X100's design and again built around the FUJINON 23mm F2 lens (8 elements in 6 groups, 1 x double-sided aspherical element), but improves upon it with a higher-definition Hybrid Viewfinder, a new sensor (16.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS II) and processor (EXR Processor II). It boast the world's fastest AF, increased resolution and reduce noise!!

Perhaps the most intriguing thing about the X100S is the introduction of the world's first “Digital Split Image” manual focus assist. It's worth testing this camera for this feature alone... an digital-style, old school split prism focusing screen - nice!! But you are also spoilt for choice with the inclusion of focus peaking... something unfortunately not previous available for the X-Pro1 or X-E1.

Key Features:
- 16.3 million pixels APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- EXR Processor II
- FUJINON 23mm F2 lens
- High Definition LCD EVF (2,360K-dot)
- High-contrast and wide viewing-angle 2.8-inch Premium Clear LCD (460K dots)
- Super Intelligent Flash
- Manual Focus Assist (Digital Split Image / Focus Peaking)
- Artistic filters
- Full HD movie recording (60fps / 30fps)

Specifications: FUJIFILM X100S | Specifications | Fujifilm Global
Press Release: FUJIFILM X100S: Fujifilm launches a high-speed successor to the X100 with the world's fastest AF of 0.08 seconds | Fujifilm Global

LENS & SENSOR: I love Fujifilm for 2 reasons, their FUJINON lenses, and their Sensors (and processor... they sort of come in a pair).

We are all familiar with the same superb glass from the X100, FUJINON 23mm F2, 8 elements in 6 groups, double-sided aspherical element (sharpness), HT-EBC coating (flare control), 9 blade lens diaphragm (round bokeh balls)... Improved from the X100 to the X100S is the sensor (and processor).

Similar to that for the X-Pro1 and X-E1, the APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor with its "randomised" color filter arrangement, eliminates of the need for an optical low-pass filter (OLPF), enabling the sensor to capture much finer details.

Digital Split Image: You have to pick up this camera, if for nothing else, just to test the digital split image.

MF Assist - Digital Split Image - Out of Focus

Manual Assist - Digital Split Image - In Focus

But I would have to say, while the innovation of the digital split image is terribly exciting, I found it the implementation a tad odd... on a fixed pancake lens. MF can be useful on the X100s, esp for those who prefer use zone focusing in their photography. But I think this feature will have a lot more traction if introduced on an interchangeable mirrorless body which we could mount our non-native favourite old (and not so old) lenses on. I certainly hope that this feature can be further introduced to other mirrorless offerings as an additional MF assist option, together with focusing peaking, further to just having magnification.

ISO: As advertised, the noise control from the EXR Processor II is remarkable. You would be hard pressed to find much difference between the 2 shots below, one shot with ISO200, and the other ISO6400. There is a some lost in contrast and lost of micro details (and introduction of smudging), but you would really need to look at the 100% crops.

Full Image Sample Pic (full size available) - ISO200

Full Image Sample Pic (full size available) - ISO6400

100% crops:

ISO200 - 100% crop

ISO400 - 100% crop

ISO800 - 100% crop

ISO1600 - 100% crop

ISO3200 - 100% crop

ISO6400 - 100% crop

Viewing the 100% crops, micro detail holds up very well to ISO800. At ISO1600, we can start to see some introduction of artifacts... but by no means is ISO6400 only for emergencies. At ISO6400, the X100S still produces very usable images.

Back in Photokina 2010, Fujifilm announced its retro-styled X100, it instantly had a following for its rangefinder-style charm of a 35mm (equivalent) compact with legendary optics and excellent image quality. Three years down the road, can the X100S attract the same?... among the slightly more crowded area with the Nikon Coolpix A, Sony RX1, Leica X2, or even include the 35mm equivalents on interchangeable mirrorless systems such as the 17mmF1.8 on the Olympus OM-D or the 22mmf2 on Canon EOS M?

The Fujifilm X100S retains the same classic design and dedicated controls that enthusiasts have grown to appreciate in the X100. The improvements in the senor, processor, EVF, and AF speed are significant... so if you hesitated to get the Fujifilm X100 previously, there is no need to hesitate on Fujifilm X100S. The Fujifilm X100S is expected to sell locally for S$1,799.

Last edited:
Sample Pics

1/30 | ƒ/2 | ISO 6400 - full image available

1/5 | ƒ/16 | ISO 6400 - full image available

1/60 | ƒ/2 | ISO 640 - full image available

1/60 | ƒ/2 | ISO 640 - full image available

1/80 | ƒ/2 | ISO 200 - full image available

100% Crops (600x400) Sample Pics

100% crop (600x400) - 1/75 | ƒ/2 | ISO 200

100% crop (600x400) - : 1/60 | ƒ/2 | ISO 800

100% crop (600x400) - 1/60 | ƒ/2 | ISO 640

Nice review details ,

Looks like performed much better than X100

Thanks Cactusjack ! I have this camera for a few days and wasted little time since the weather's been warm, dry and good for photography

First impressions after using it for the last 2 days

1. its Spot Meter is pretty narrow (meaning good)
2. little wonder given its a 1 focal length camera, the resolving power of the Fujinon lens is extremely good
3. if you have itchy fingers that like fiddling with real buttons and dials , the X100s has alot of these and the dedicated functions are mostly instantly recognizable
4. very retro look and therefore an ideal wear-around-the-neck camera

super_trees.jpg

Thank you for the very comprehensive and detailed real world review! Certainly beats looking at reviews that show charts and more charts! :D

Saturday and Sunday was spent using the X100s around town putting it through its paces

I used the Fn button as ISO because there was none on the dial or the other buttons (feedback, ISO select is one of those functions that are frequently reached for)
The camera proved to be a capable little street shooter . Exposure readings were frequently spot on and it was great to have a dedicated old-school dial for exposure compensation

DSCF9205.jpg

fisherman2.jpg

DSCF9290.jpg

DSCF9273.jpg

DSCF9229.jpg

without a dslr mirror, I was able to shoot low light handheld leaning my hands and arms on the ground

shioulette_mbs.jpg

although its a fixed focal length.... the choice of a 23mm (35mm equiv in film format) was very suitable in many applications . Output straight out of camera is very crisp and well resolved

DSCF9196.jpg

the small size of the X100s makes it look 'innocent' and touristy which put subjects more at ease about being photographed

DSCF9233.jpg

DSCF9197.jpg

The Silhouette is awesome !

ed9119 said:
without a dslr mirror, I was able to shoot low light handheld leaning my hands and arms on the ground

although its a fixed focal length.... the choice of a 23mm (35mm equiv in film format) was very suitable in many applications . Output straight out of camera is very crisp and well resolved

did I mention that the cam is very discreet ?

DSCF9252.jpg

DSCF9250.jpg

I used to laugh at people who insisted on a dedicated video start/stop button ... but not anymore .... and while video shooting is still available on the X100s there is no dedicated video shooting button . You will have to go into shooting mode and change from still image photography mode to video shooting mode . Activation of video start/stop is via the shutter button