First impressions of the Fujifilm X10

Thanks for your review. I'm very excited about this camera - its almost the dream compact for me. Not much reach but the distortion on the wide end seems to be well-controlled. I can't wait until my friend goes off to HK...

Thanks for the review CJ. The sample photos are also very useful for a taste of what this camera is capable of.

About the filter size, I read in other forums that a 40mm filter is the correct size, and as you mention, if using a pinch cap instead, it is 40.5mm size.

Appreciate your effort, very informative. May i ask, is there any control during HD video? Zoom is manual so no problem, how about focus?

Thanks for the review CJ. The sample photos are also very useful for a taste of what this camera is capable of.

About the filter size, I read in other forums that a 40mm filter is the correct size, and as you mention, if using a pinch cap instead, it is 40.5mm size.

You need an adapter (like the X100 duh) to use filters.

From what I have read, it seems 40mm filter fit straight on the lens, no need for an adapter.

From what I have read, it seems 40mm filter fit straight on the lens, no need for an adapter.

But with filter on, means the lens cap cannot be used then? LPPL?

Appreciate your effort, very informative. May i ask, is there any control during HD video? Zoom is manual so no problem, how about focus?
apologies, but i really didn't spend too much time on the movie mode... for all things, i took a video of a fountain... but from what i recall, there were no AF points available once the recording started. but frankly, based on the performance of the X100 video mode, i wouldn't hold my breath...

but to be fair (and i don't mean this in a harsh manner), i don't think that they are building a video recorder... but a compact camera that does have some capabilities to capture videos, not unlike most compacts.

But with filter on, means the lens cap cannot be used then? LPPL?
you should be able to still put on the metal cap as long as the filter width is not too thick... you also would not want it to be too thick to avoid vignetting, esp in the wide zoom range.

the lens does have a filter thread to which you can screw in the hood / filter adaptor.

the hood / filter adaptor is a two piece thing. the bottom section screws into the lens (approx 40mm) and can fit 52mm filters on it (similar to a step-up ring). then the hood (top section) screws into the 52mm thread of the either the bottom section or the 52mm filter.

you should be able to still put on the metal cap as long as the filter width is not too thick... you also would not want it to be too thick to avoid vignetting, esp in the wide zoom range.

the lens does have a filter thread to which you can screw in the hood / filter adaptor.

the hood / filter adaptor is a two piece thing. the bottom section screws into the lens (approx 40mm) and can fit 52mm filters on it (similar to a step-up ring). then the hood (top section) screws into the 52mm thread of the either the bottom section or the 52mm filter.

Hmm. I remember the shop trying to help find a filter that fits. None did and he did tell me something like 39mm or so. So it is possible to use a filter direct without spending the money on an adapter? Cool! Will go check it out soon.

more sample pictures

DSCF01812.jpg

DSCF01852.jpg

DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0248.jpg

Nice photos.

BTW, what do you mean by not fiddling with the fujinon lens cap? Is it hard to take off or what? Does it pop off nicely like the XZ-10 or does it have to be unscrewed off?

BTW, what do you mean by not fiddling with the fujinon lens cap? Is it hard to take off or what? Does it pop off nicely like the XZ-10 or does it have to be unscrewed off?
cheers. the lens cap's lining is good, and there is nice cushioned resistence as you take it off... it's all part of a very intimate experience using the x10.

what i meant by "fiddling" was what you do with the lens cap once you take it off. it is relatively large, and can be difficult to hold in your hand while holding the x10 in preparation to take a shot. and in your haste to get that shot, you also don't want to drop, chip, scratch or even loose it.

an alternate solution would be to just leave the fujifilm lens cap either at home or in the bag, and use either a filter or small lens cap to protect your front element instead, if you deem it nec.

X10 body feels very sturdy too - good quality camera :)

battery is very small for a body and cam this big.