First Impressions of the Fujifilm X-T1 *NEW PHOTOS ADDED*

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
Summary of First Impressions of the Fujifilm X-T1

The Fujifilm X-T1 is probably positioned near the top of the X-series, just short of the flagship X-Pro1… speculation would next be the successor to the flagship model. The X-T1 incorporates improvements since the X-Pro1 was launched almost 2 years ago, notably i) the improved AF speed, ii) the second generation X-Trans CMOS sensor & EXR processor, and iii) better EVF, and fits them all in a new retro-DSLR-like styled weather resistant body.

Given that it uses the same sensor, the image quality would be very similar to the Fujifilm X-E2. But for those who are not familiar with the X-Trans CMOS sensor, Fujifilm has done away with the need of an optical low pass (or 'anti-aliasing') filter over the senor. While the anti-aliasing filter is used to help remove the effects of moiré from the image, it inevitable leads to some loss of resolution. To get around the moiré, Fujifilm has revamped the sensor to a 6x6 colour filter array pattern, moving away from the traditional 2x2 Bayer pattern… this is the genesis of the Fujifilm's X-Trans CMOS sensor. Because of the more complex demands of the 6x6, Fujifilm coupled this with the EXR Processor Pro. The X-E2 and now the X-T1, feature the second generation of the sensor and processor.

Here are some features that I like on the Fujifilm X-T1,
Retro-Styling and the Dials – Many cameras have already gone down this route, including Fujifilm with their X-Pro1. The X-T1 probably takes the cake for me, at this time. Okay, maybe the retro look is a fad… but the you cannot deny the convenience of 5 top plate dials, two command dials, and number of programmable function buttons! The shutter speed, exposure compensation, ISO (and Drive) dials on the top-plate add to the retro look, but also provides easy access for more immediate control on key shooting parameters, without having to go through the menu. Front and rear command dials, and programmable function buttons make it easier for you to customise and control your camera, without having to keep scrolling through the menu.
Large high-resolution EVF - there is nothing like looking through a large viewfinder to see the world through your camera lens, and the X-T1 certainly has just that. At x0.77 magnification, it is simply wonderful to look through the viewfinder. Of course, an optical viewfinder would be more true, but the X-T1 has its 2.36million dot OLED "Multi Mode Viewfinder", and boast the “the world's fastest display with a lag-time of just 0.005 sec… of course, I have no way to verify that, but if you were around during the X-Pro1 days, you would have a smoother experience with the X-T1. This “bump” in the middle may have made it difficult to incorporate a built-in flash into this camera, but I think that it’s worth the trade. Not that it’s a full trade-off, Fujifilm also included a small external flash (EF-X8) as part of the X-T1 package.
Improved AF speed – High-speed responses from the on-sensor phase detection has help Fujifilm leapfrog ahead from the X-Pro1 days. AF was zippy… but I had no way to confirm the 0.08 sec claim.
The ISO performance is not surprising from Fujifilm X-series. ISO3200 and ISO6400 images are very usable, retaining a good amount detail and contrast in the image.
MF assist comes in the form of focus-peaking and “digital split-image”, adjustable view magnification is also available. Many cameras brands already incorporate focus-peaking into their MF assist, but from my SLR days, I just love the split prism focusing for manual focusing. This feature is available both native and adapted lenses. This feature is not new for Fujifilm, having been incorporated into the X-E2 and firmware updates to the others, and personally preferred over contrast peaking.
Manual exposure mode now has a working exposure preview!
Weather-Resistance and Die-cast magnesium body – At 440g (including battery and memory card), the Fujifilm X-T1 is not the lightest camera around, but it feels solid and comfortable in my hands. I recall the old criticism of the small compact mirrorless or even some DSLRs, “my old film camera could smack a mugger, and without a dent, still be used to take more pictures”… I think the X-T1 may be able to dispel that about mirrorless cameras. As far as the weather sealing goes, I’m looking forward to Fujifilm to release weather sealed lenses that can match the X-T1’s weather-resistance. Come to think of it, the weight of the X-T1, together with the optional VG-XT1 vertical grip, may well weigh nicely with the upcoming XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R OIS and the XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R OIS lenses.

Other neat features include the inclusion of Wifi, Face Detection, Lens Modulation Optimizer, Time-lapse feature, compatible with UHS-II format SD memory cards, and Fujifilm Colour Filters (PROVIA, Velvia, ASTIA, PRO Neg.Std, PRO Neg.Hi, Monochrome, Sepia).

Other not so neat things Fujifilm hasn’t made much headway on the video recording, but your mileage may vary on this point, as with comments on fully articulated touch-screen, or a built-in flash. But for excellent image quality in a body that is solid, rugged, and appealing, with a range of nice lenses, with more to come, the Fujifilm X-T1 will be hard to ignore.

RRP is expected to be S$1999

Last edited:
Reactions: kei1309
We were hoping for this camera to be launched at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Jan, but just short of month later... Fujifilm has unveiled their latest addition to their X-series family, the retro-styled weather resistant X-T1!!

Key Features:
16MP X-Trans CMOS II & EXR Processor II
Weather Resistant - dust-resistant, water-resistant and -10°C low-temperature operation
0.5-inch large "Multi Mode Viewfinder" 2.36million dot OLED display, magnification ratio of 0.77x
3.0-inch, aspect ratio 3:2, approx. 1,040K-dot, Tilt type color LCD
Extended ISO sensitivity to 100, 12800, 25600 and 51200

Fujifilm further boast the world's fastest display in the viewfinder with a lag-time of just 0.005 sec. The resolution, size, and refresh rate are significant improvements over the various iterations from the X-Pro1, X-E1, X-E2, and now the X-T1.

The X-T1 also uses the same X-Trans CMOS II & EXR Processor II as the X-E2 (but extending the ISO by 1 stop to 51200). So from that perspective, you may not expect any improvements in the X-T1. But that been said, the Fujifilm X-T1 is a quite a different camera. On the surface, the most obvious changes are the addition of the front dial, movie record button, drive and ISO dials, focus assist button, and the exclusion of the built-in flash (instead, the X-T1 is packaged with an external flash EF-X8).

Specifications can be found on the Fujifilm website - http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t1/specifications/

The Fujifil X-T1 has the option of a vertical grip, VG-XT1. It is equipped with a shutter release button, twin command dials, AE-L button, AF-L button, and Focus Assist button. The VG-XT1 is also dust-and water-resistant vertical grip, and with the addition battery, it doubles the number of shots between charges.

Last edited:
WIFI capabilities comes pretty standard with most compact cameras nowadays, and the X-T1 is no different. Fujifilm has developed the Fujifilm Camera Remote for iOS and Android.

Capture your image on your X-T1
Transfer it to your smartphone / tablet
Share it on your preferred social network

ISO - The equivalent to ISO 200 - 6400 comes standard, with extended output to 100(L), 12800(H1), and 25600(H2). I will let the images speak for themselves, there is obviously expected some drop in contrast and lost of micro details, and the addition of noise and artifacts as you increase the ISO.

One of the below images are taken at ISO200, and the other at ISO6400. At 640x427 (approx 4R print viewing size), it may be a little difficult to tell the difference... unless you place both images side by side.

Last edited:
Here are some long-exposure (3sec - 20sec) images, original size out of camera FINE JEPGs are available.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 20sec | f/11 | ISO 200

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 20sec | f/11 | ISO 200

Fujifilm X-T1 | 56mm | 13sec | f/11 | ISO 200

Fujifilm X-T1 | 56mm | 3.5sec | f/16 | ISO 200

Fujifilm X-T1 | 56mm | 3.1sec | f/11 | ISO 200

Last edited:

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 10sec | f/11 | ISO 200

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 1/45sec | f/1.4 | ISO 1600

snagged the X-T1 for this weekend from Cactus Jack... with the pre-production (?) 56mm/f1.2 lens...

1656336_10152042580284177_100394890_n_zpsb7ee401e.jpg

my first impression is that the X-T1 has some heft to it compared to my X-E1. by far it is the heavier camera, and feels like one hunk of metal. it felt very 'DSLR' to me. unlike the X-E1, most of the key controls like ISO, shutter speeds and EV compensation are done via dials. much faster.

the 56mm lens... gawd.... it demands to be shot wide open... :heart: CJ asked me to shoot some portraits... so my kids have to make do. all straight out of cam, only resized for viewing. i think the Exif is still there unless PSE stripped it.

DSCF1169_zpsbfc751bf.jpg
- background really disappears at f1.2

DSCF1171_zps20a1427f.jpg

DSCF1198_zpsfa2815ea.jpg
- stop it down to f2.8

i think this might be the portrait lens to die for for Fuji users... i am waiting to see what will the pricing be like when it is launched. worth saving for it.

i should be going out to Chinese garden to take some shots this coming Saturday sometime between 2-4pm. if anyone is in the area and would like to have a peek at the camera plus the 56mm and 23mm/f1.4 lenses, drop me a PM? my only request is that you will add your pictures to this review thread.

Is it possible to use the 56mm f1.2 lens for street, night scenery or food photography or just solely for portrait?

how is the afc? can it track walking or running subjects?

how is the afc? can it track walking or running subjects?

i guess you are talking about in comparison with a DSLR? no...it is definitely faster than my X-E1 with the latest firmware. the EVF seemed to refresh (?) faster than my X-E1, which meant that i can shoot my kids running ard in the hall fairly easily. but i suspect if you are going to bring this to F1, then you really need to anticipate the shot.

i guess you are talking about in comparison with a DSLR? no...it is definitely faster than my X-E1 with the latest firmware. the EVF seemed to refresh (?) faster than my X-E1, which meant that i can shoot my kids running ard in the hall fairly easily. but i suspect if you are going to bring this to F1, then you really need to anticipate the shot.

not F1 lah. Actually kids is what I meant. If you can shoot running kids wide open with the 56mm, that is very very impressive. My Xe1 with the 35mm AF is so slow that it is impossible. Did you try a burst of like 5 shots and what is the keeper rate?

Did you also try it with the 35mm f1.4? how is the AF with the 35mm lens?

Last edited:
not F1 lah. Actually kids is what I meant. If you can shoot running kids wide open with the 56mm, that is very very impressive. My Xe1 with the 35mm AF is so slow that it is impossible. Did you try a burst of like 5 shots and what is the keeper rate? Did you also try it with the 35mm f1.4? how is the AF with the 35mm lens?

Yes. Tatz wat I would like to know too. As long as can do good AF n capture in mobile subjects in a expected manner. XT1 will b a good buy. If mounting on d xf35 can perform as well. I'm sold. Haha

I heard good stuff about the X-T1..It's the nicest looking mirrorless camera out there at the moment, though I also like the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and the Sony Alpha A7 which are very similar. I'd still would probably go for a weather sealed Digital SLR camera like the Pentax K-3 or Nikon D7100. I shall see.

not F1 lah. Actually kids is what I meant. If you can shoot running kids wide open with the 56mm, that is very very impressive. My Xe1 with the 35mm AF is so slow that it is impossible. Did you try a burst of like 5 shots and what is the keeper rate?

Did you also try it with the 35mm f1.4? how is the AF with the 35mm lens?

oh... haha... no, i dun have the 35/1.4. Cactus Jack only passed me the 56mm and 23mm lenses. it is not fair to comment about the AF pairing with the 56mm and X-T1 since the 56mm is a pre-production model. that said, shooting my little one with it feels snappier compared to my X-E1. most of the time for my X-E1, i had to get her to stand still before i shoot. X-T1... i am looking at mebbe 1 in 3 (user error mostly)? so far i haven't pair with my EF-X20 flash to freeze motion.

one thing i am finding it difficult to get ard with is the 4-way button layout. i dun feel it is as responsive as my X-E1, partly cos my thumb is big and the right-button is a tad close to the thumb-rest area at the back of the camera. so sometimes i miss hitting the button since i assigned it as my AF-selection button. lets see how things go tmr at chinese garden. :)

well, i'm quite hopeful that this will be a fantastic piece of work. already signed up for the hands-on session! hope i got in ;)

trying out the focus peaking of the X-T1 with my Russian Jupiter-8 50mm/f2 lens. i think Fuji is getting there with the focus peaking for X-T1 compared to my X-E1. a little easier to get it focused now, assuming my kids stay still long enough... :sweatsm:

i hope once the X-T1 is launched, a firmware update can be made available to the X-E1/2 to bring the different peaking modes of the X-T1 to my camera.

DSCF1208_zps3f9b93cd.jpg

DSCF1206_zps127b5767.jpg

DSCF1200_zps33d868c8.jpg