First Impressions of the Fujifilm X-T1 *NEW PHOTOS ADDED*

Thanks.

My concern is in relation to actual use, as there are really situations where the camera would have to be raised high (on a tripod, for example) and it could be possible to adjust it by hand if there are over-rides using controller or wheels by looking at the screen.. But having the dials on top will definitely be an issue in such cases. To be fair, such a situation would be very very very rare, but I was just curious.

Hrm, I seemed to have missed the registration deadline of 7 Feb. :bsmilie: Will wait for more impressions from you guys then, especially on the 10-24. The reviews I've seen so far are really quite promising. Cheers!

Thanks.

My concern is in relation to actual use, as there are really situations where the camera would have to be raised high (on a tripod, for example) and it could be possible to adjust it by hand if there are over-rides using controller or wheels by looking at the screen.. But having the dials on top will definitely be an issue in such cases. To be fair, such a situation would be very very very rare, but I was just curious.

Hrm, I seemed to have missed the registration deadline of 7 Feb. :bsmilie: Will wait for more impressions from you guys then, especially on the 10-24. The reviews I've seen so far are really quite promising. Cheers!

From this youtube video, the remote App can override the controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpgxnbQdVag

From this youtube video, the remote App can override the controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpgxnbQdVag
polar28 - thanks for that. I forgot about the app, too accustomed to shooting through a view finder.

The remote app connects via wifi, and allows your phone (iOS or Andriod) to take pretty full control of your camera settings, including overriding the Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, EV, film simulations, etc. But the best thing about the remote app is that allows touchscreen focusing... and naturally, remote triggering. While individuals use of the remote app may vary, there's no denying that it only extends the possibilities of the use of the X-T1.

There are another 2 apps available, the "Fujifilm Camera Application" and the "Fujifilm Photo Receiver". All 3 of these apps will allow you to download your images from the wifi enabled Fujifilm camera to your smartphone or tablet.

Thanks for chiming in CJ! I'm sure that answers a lot of questions which members may have had.

As the final installation of sample images before the preview later today, her's a little journey into the heart of Chinatown.

Hope you like these.

True to the heart of Chinatown ... Cantonese Char Siew and Sio Bak! Roast duck all sold out even before lunch time!

DSCF5292_Char_Siew_n_Sio_Bak_Dreams_CS_900.jpg

One of the super well-taken care of denizens of Chinatown back alleys!

DSCF5659_CS_900.jpg

The beauty of the 56mm 1.2 bokeh!

DSCF5613_CS_900.jpg

Vibrant colours from the rendition of the lenses and sensor.

DSCF5701_CS_900.jpg

Here's lookin' at you, Kid!

DSCF5672_CS_900.jpg

GOTCHA!!!

DSCF5669_CS_900.jpg

Hehehe!

DSCF5681_CS_900.jpg

Friendly Tog!

DSCF5678_CS_900.jpg

So Engrossed!

DSCF5673_CS_900.jpg

Treasures of the Food Center!

DSCF5385_46_Decadent_Sweet_Sour_Pork_Dinner_900.jpg

Going back in time ... will show a few colour shots, and what you could do with B&W Conversions!

DSCF5399_CS_900_Col.jpg

DSCF5399_CS_900_B_W.jpg

DSCF5476_CS_900_B_W.jpg

A glimpse of the past ...

DSCF5486_CS_900_B_W.jpg

Kaki-Nang!

DSCF5513_CS_900_B_W.jpg

A tribute to the Samsui Women.

DSCF5693_CS_900.jpg

Said to be one of the best traditional confectionery stores!

DSCF5711_CS_900.jpg

Very, very low light.

DSCF5768_CS_900.jpg

Got special offer or not?

DSCF5773_CS_900.jpg

Mesmerising!

DSCF5763_CS_900.jpg

Those on DIET, go AWAY!

DSCF5354_46_Snacking_Rojak_Yu_Tiao_CS_900.jpg

DSCF5371Snacking_Uncles_Rojak_800.jpg

DSCF5556_46_YTF_Vendor_800.jpg

DSCF5561_46_YTF_n_Mee_Kia_Dreams_CS_900.jpg

Hope you like this little preview of the real-life shots done on the FUJIFILM X-T1 and the 56mm 1.2 and 23mm 1.4 Fujinons!

Hve fun at this afternoon's preview at Bishan Park!

the override is an interesting question, as I was also thinking about that, such that the camera can take advantage of the front and rear dials to control a combination of Aperture, Shutter Speed, and EV (and even ISO). This is what we have come accustomed to with the DSLRs and digital cameras. But note that these are usually cameras that don't have the dedicated aperture, shutter speed, EV or ISO dials.

at the 11th hour, before return the camera, I was running through the camera menu, but didn't find such an override to the Aperture, Shutter Speed, EV or ISO dials. but going back to the design of the X-T1 (not that I was involved in the design of it), retro-styling on the X-T1 is very much a modern impression of the dials found on the old SLRs. Having these physical dials make these features available and accessible with dedicated dials for each of these shooting parameters / variables. For the non-R lenses (lenses without aperture rings), the dials would be used to control the aperture.

Aperture Ring set to "A" gives Shutter Priority mode
Shutter Speed set to "A" gives Aperture Priority mode
Both Aperture and Shutter Speed set to "A" gives Programme mode

But from the quick look, i didn't see the override option. But if it does, it would be great as you could get the best of both worlds. The hands-on session is this Saturday (tomorrow), and I'd be a little more deliborate in checking on this, and will update if I do find the override.

As for the 10-24, haven't played with it. But if you're keen, I'm sure that they would have it available at the hand-on session tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up Cactus jACK! looking forward to later in the afternoon!

Very fast and responsive. On/Off timings pretty fast. The feel of the camera overall is fantastic. Dials and buttons are easily accessible. With the only problem lying with the difficult to press navigation buttons on the back which causes it to be a pain in setting up the camera.

Although the AF is really fast, I felt that there were some accuracy issues with the continuous AF. Not that accurate too in Single Shot AF mode too.

But definitely faster than my A7R. And the accuracy issues are about the same.

Edit: @Edutilos the front and rear jog dials can only be customized front or rear to activate only one or two options. Though i can't recall what the options were

Last edited:
2 questions: 1) Is there a way to override the dials (this answer can probably be found somewhere, but I thought I might as well ask it here)? 2) Have you guys had a chance to test the new 10-24mm? :)

the override is an interesting question, as I was also thinking about that, such that the camera can take advantage of the front and rear dials to control a combination of Aperture, Shutter Speed, and EV (and even ISO). This is what we have come accustomed to with the DSLRs and digital cameras. But note that these are usually cameras that don't have the dedicated aperture, shutter speed, EV or ISO dials... But from the quick look, i didn't see the override option. But if it does, it would be great as you could get the best of both worlds. The hands-on session is this Saturday (tomorrow), and I'd be a little more deliborate in checking on this, and will update if I do find the override.

edutilos - I spent about 10mins at the hands-on session today exploring this, and this is what I found about the front and rear dials in the various modes,

M - both dials did not appear to do anything
A - both dials did not appear to do anything
S - the shutter dial (front or rear, depending on your settings) will adjust the shutter speed to roughy +/- 1/3 or 2/3, but the EV remains unchanged, as it is compensated by the aperture. in effect, it will allow you to get a slightly faster or slower shutter speed, but nothing too drastic, e.g. the setting I used was 1/125, and it allowed me to scroll between to 1/180 to 1/80.
P - the dials controlled the shutter speed and aperture (front or rear, depending on your settings), while it will help you adjust the desired shutter speed / aperture values, it would be compensated by the other, i.e. no change in the EV. so if you want a faster shutter speed, it will close down the aperture, and vice versa. Similarly, adjusting the aperture setting (in P mode), the it will compensate with the shutter speed.

to add, it would be the same comment (as mentioned earlier) on the availability of the remote app which will allow you to override many of the camera controls, with the added benefit of touch focusing from your smart phone / tablet.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
edutilos - I spent about 10mins at the hands-on session today exploring this, and this is what I found about the front and rear dials in the various modes,

M - both dials did not appear to do anything
A - both dials did not appear to do anything
S - the shutter dial (front or rear, depending on your settings) will adjust the shutter speed to roughy +/- 1/3 or 2/3, but the EV remains unchanged, as it is compensated by the aperture. in effect, it will allow you to get a slightly faster or slower shutter speed, but nothing too drastic, e.g. the setting I used was 1/125, and it allowed me to scroll between to 1/180 to 1/80.
P - the dials controlled the shutter speed and aperture (front or rear, depending on your settings), while it will help you adjust the desired shutter speed / aperture values, it would be compensated by the other, i.e. no change in the EV. so if you want a faster shutter speed, it will close down the aperture, and vice versa. Similarly, adjusting the aperture setting (in P mode), the it will compensate with the shutter speed.

to add, it would be the same comment (as mentioned earlier) on the availability of the remote app which will allow you to override many of the camera controls, with the added benefit of touch focusing from your smart phone / tablet.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble - kei too!

I found the remote control app very laggy. And it didn't appear to allow touch focusing from the mobile phone.

Also, the connection was a pain to set up

Although the AF is really fast, I felt that there were some accuracy issues with the continuous AF. Not that accurate too in Single Shot AF mode too.

Hi Kei1309, was your test in low light? I was testing outdoor accuracy was surprisingly good though just S-AF, I tried Cont AF but din seem work, i just tested for an hour or so.

Hi Kei1309, was your test in low light? I was testing outdoor accuracy was surprisingly good though just S-AF, I tried Cont AF but din seem work, i just tested for an hour or so.

i was shooting under the shelter, but my subject was hit nice and well by the sunlight.

then i did a test quickly changing the focal points. not bad, but the accuracy wasn't 100% on the mark at times (i was using the spot AF)

indoors, even though it was pretty bright the AF accuracy and speed dipped a little. but that's expected from CDAF.

Lastly, i tried the Continuous AF lacking in accuracy and speed. focusing speed was ok, but not smooth at all. the hunting could get bad at times.