Not open for further replies.

sheree

Aug 25, 2007
Yishun, Singapore
Last edited:
spotted it.

got it on sms too.

those on the same flight, SQ 25 from NYC, to call hotline at 1800 333 9999

no la i am not like overly paranoid or whatever, just want to inform people so that those who were in contact can get in touch with the relevant authorities :)

We don't need to panic over it but we should also not belittle the seriousness. For big countries, the spread is slow but for small and highly dense country, the spread will be very very speedy. Heathy individual will survive but those with existing illness may die from complication.

In the science report, the concern is the more the infection, the likelihood the virus mutates in human. The next gen will not be that friendly even to the healthy ones. Unlike common flu, the H1N1 is near 100% effective rate, meaning without the help of medicine, a person cannot recover from it without complication.

There will bound to be someone out there taking the current medicine carelessly like antibiotics and should that virus mutates from that person, it become resistant.

life goes on... what we can do now is be more responsible, if your are sick, report sick. Be it H1N1 or common flu.... it's your responsibility to the folks around you

... she came in from NY via SQ flight. :sweat:

Yeah, I guess just matter of time.
What everyone have to do, just be responsible. Especially if u travel to those country that hv major outbreak.
Put on mask even if u just have a normal flu :)

We don't need to panic over it but we should also not belittle the seriousness. For big countries, the spread is slow but for small and highly dense country, the spread will be very very speedy. Heathy individual will survive but those with existing illness may die from complication.

In the science report, the concern is the more the infection, the likelihood the virus mutates in human. The next gen will not be that friendly even to the healthy ones. Unlike common flu, the H1N1 is near 100% effective rate, meaning without the help of medicine, a person cannot recover from it without complication.

There will bound to be someone out there taking the current medicine carelessly like antibiotics and should that virus mutates from that person, it become resistant.

i agree with what you have said.
panic is unnecessary.. it only leads to a shortage of all the medical items and all
at the same time we shouldnt be ignorant or nonchalant about it

For such a destination travel hub, it's pretty suprising that it took so long to get a case in Singapore.

It was only a matter of time, and knowing Singaporean's penchant for sneezing and coughing openly into everyones' faces everybloodywhere, and spitting all over the place, besides their very high levels of dislike to anything that interrupts their daily routines and personal habits, the virus will spread like free loooovvvve unless it was contained in the first place (unlikely).

oh... the swine flew over to SG liao :sweat:

Am I the only one who thinks that the flu thing is overhyped?

Flu viruses mutate all the time. IIRC, more people die from "regular" flu per year than H1N1, and most of the recent deaths seem to be of people who are old and/or already sick. The other recent reported cases in Japan were all mostly mild and patients recovered quickly.

That aside, there is really nothing much we can do. Keeping hands clean is not going to help much, I don't think.

lets just hope the rest of the passengers on the same flight turn themselves in..

The flu strain indeed is not as lethal as expected but the reason for its monitoring is to be understood. Patient recovers quickly because there is a cure.

While the seasonal flu does kill many in the UK and US, not Singapore. That's why US health authority says that the pandemic is inevitable in US bec the citizen thinks the same and thus is lax. SIN cannot affort to have a pandemic because we don't have space to hide; the haze already caused 1000s to fall sick in a week.

Unlike seasonal flu, H1N1 is not from human and it magnets to healthy people. Human flu mutates within human strains but animal virus + human can become more complicated like SARS as I understand.

I can only hope that this strain is unstable in hot tropical climate.

Am I the only one who thinks that the flu thing is overhyped?

Flu viruses mutate all the time. IIRC, more people die from "regular" flu per year than H1N1, and most of the recent deaths seem to be of people who are old and/or already sick. The other recent reported cases in Japan were all mostly mild and patients recovered quickly.

That aside, there is really nothing much we can do. Keeping hands clean is not going to help much, I don't think.

Yes, I didn't mean to say that it's something to be taken lightly. I agree that the situation has to be closely monitored. But there's no need for the person on the street to panic. Life still has to go on.

Yes, I didn't mean to say that it's something to be taken lightly. I agree that the situation has to be closely monitored. But there's no need for the person on the street to panic. Life still has to go on.

yup there's no need to panic, but then we shouldnt take the other extreme and be ignorant about it.

yes i agree the flu is kind of over-hyped.
i'm not posting this to make everyone wear masks on the street or whatsoever, just creating a form of awareness of what the h1n1 situation has become. life does have to go on as per normal, but with this awareness of the situation, we can take measures (not extreme ones) so as to prevent the spread of this flu (lest it spreads and mutates to some thing worse and we regret later on). Prevention is better than cure.

of course there are other people who take the situation to the extreme, which i dont find it necessary.

SQ25 on which day? there's a SQ25 everyday...

26may, 6.30am

While it is right to say that SQ 25 originated from New York JFK airport, the flight actually headed to Frankfurt first, before coming to Singapore. Also, since the flight is a code-sharing one, passengers who are from the following flight numbers that landed on 26 May 2009 should see the doctor immediately if they develop any illness.

SQ25
LH9762
AC9951
LO4039

Status
Not open for further replies.