First forum ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha

Aug 10, 2009
Hi everyone...I would like to move up to my first SLR. I heard on the "Kim Komando" radio program this morning that she highly recommends the new Nikon D5000. I have been reading reviews all day. It does sound pretty good. Any advice out there for me? I love taking photos out in the wilderness and close-up..macros of wild flowers. I will be posting some of my photos soon. I am looking forward to becoming a part of this photo community and I know I will learn a lot in here!!

Of course, anything new & commercialized, these presenters will try to persuade the consumers. It isn't too far off from the Canon 500D, however do note that only some Nikon mount lenses are supported by the D5000.

First thing: never trust any enthusiastic advertisements :) - I know neither this radio program nor the moderator but what I have seen in local newspapers called "reviews" is rather silly and shallow. So I guess this radio review is not far from that.
Next: you'll get more than a camera when you go into (D)SLR, it's a system. Camera, lenses, flash and other things only work if you get them all for the same brand (let's put adapters and exceptions aside here).
DSLR ask the photographer to be in charge - in terms of composition but also in terms of many settings. Unless you want to stick to the Green Dummy Mode you will need to learn a lot more about how a camera works and what it needs to get good images. DSLR needs your input, the camera cannot read your mind. But once you set it up properly it will reward you with great images.
A few things I can see for you as upcoming topics:
- Go to the showrooms and have a hands-on feeling session, try different vendors and different models. Leave out the shops and But Don't Buy Yet. For reputable shops have a look http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340845. Stay away from tourist areas (Orchard, Sim Lim [except OP, 6th floor])
- Read up about all the different models, compare the features and limitations. A good review site is http://www.dpreview.com
- Read up about those features so that you can decide whether it is "must have" or rather "nice to have". Nikon D5000 has some limitations in using certain Nikon lenses.
- Search here for topics that you don't understand. You library has plenty of books. A good and extensive Newbie Guide can be found here.
- Ask specific questions. "Is model xyz good or not?" will not bring any helpful answers because a) all cameras can produce decent pictures and b) a lot depends on the photographer and c) good in what / good for what?

Welcome and enjoy your stay :)

Thanks Dennisc and Octarine. It will be back to the drawing boards for me. I will read more reviews, narrow it down to a couple of cameras and then off to "handle" them! What is your favorite camera? I have been using a Sony DSC H1 for a few years ..it's been okay but I am ready to move up! I sure would like more MPs.
I appreciate the advice.

Higher MP is not the answer. For a decent 4R print 5MP is fully enough. Compare images taken with different ISO settings and very soon you'll see a big difference between a DSLR and you current camera. Check dpreview.com and you can compare the results side by side.

Thanks Dennisc and Octarine. It will be back to the drawing boards for me. I will read more reviews, narrow it down to a couple of cameras and then off to "handle" them! What is your favorite camera? I have been using a Sony DSC H1 for a few years ..it's been okay but I am ready to move up! I sure would like more MPs.
I appreciate the advice.

Why? Do you print large/poster-sized photos a lot?

I have printed off loads of 8R photos from my 5MP PnS.

Hi welcome to CS.

Hello...welcome.

Do note that more MP count does not necessarily means better picture quality. If you do not print beyond A2 size, your current cam should suffice.

See...now you know how "green" I am. But....I do want to learn as much as I can. I Thank you for any comments and advice! I am still wanting to know about "entry level" SLR cameras and I'll just keep plugging away at reading reviews. Nothing like the internet for learning!

Warm greetings to you...
Welcome to clubsnap!

Welcome to CS family! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.