First Firework Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lau Chek

Aug 6, 2008
2660510345_de80205f60_b.jpg

My first attempt at Fireworks display at NDP. Never use any 'bulb' setting cos don't know how to yet. But I use delayed exposure mode plus a tripod. Aperture was set at f/5.6. The rest I left it to my D80. It gets smoky after the first few pics, so I think if you missed it, then got to wait one more year to try again. Any way to snap more pics in the first minute or two before it gets cloudy?

Comments are welcome and I probably need more practice.

Last edited:
i like this angle where you includes esplanade in the photo, although the cranes behind are not needed.
but the shot of the fireworks is a lil over expose and it's abit messy.
and i think you should include the entire fireworks in your photo, which it was cropped at the top.
haha you guess what, you dont have to wait until next year to test shoot on fireworks. there's fireworks on new year day too.

my 2 cents >_0

i think composition is fine as the cranes cant be helped. but i think your tripod isn't steady enough. i can see mini squiggles in your fireworks, and also try to stop down and use F8-F11, with an exposure of 2-3 seconds or more depending on each burst. :)

get a remote la! and then use bulb mode, it'll allow you to have more control. :)

bro care to share your position from where you're shooting ? :thumbsup:

Great angle! Are u on the fullerton bridge?

No need to wait for next year..there's a fireworks festival coming this month end..3 consecutive days of fireworks..:D

from pic, the location seems more like office unit on mid floor (about 6 floor) in Raffles City itself. :think:

the fireworks are too many, too messy. better firework shots that work for me are simple, they have one flower, or two, at most three. not a mess of light and disarray.

understand that exposure is not easy.. can either use black card technique, or can expose for the buildings, then separate picture for fireworks with tripod.. blend the same frame, etc.

Thanks for all the comments. I took this pic on the 18th floor, Fairmont Hotel (formerly Raffles The Plaza).

Great Angle ! In 1-2 years time, you can never get this shot again as the cranes will be replaced by the Marina Bay Sands.

After you improve your technique, I think your fireworks photos from this angle can be very valuable. Good Luck !!

woah. this photo looks like those taken out from a postcard from the singapore tourism board promoting singapore. haha. then at the top left corner will write some words like " Amazing Singapore" or smth.

anyway. nice photo! :)

Can someone care to explain bulb mode? Nice picture by the way. I have a place in mind for tomorrow but I am betting on whether it will be a good background.

Can someone care to explain bulb mode? Nice picture by the way. I have a place in mind for tomorrow but I am betting on whether it will be a good background.
In bulb mode you can control the shutter MANUALLY with a remote cable release. In this way you can control the exposure time more precisely and to your own liking :) as the whole exploding session will last less than 10 minutes. So make your shots count :bigeyes:

Anyway my recommended settings for D80 is F/8 at 4 Seconds and ISO100 White Balance Tungsten. Shoot in RAW if you want more stunts for PP. :angel:

Bulb mode refers to variable shutter speed in Manual mode. You select aperture, and the shutter stays open as long as you're pressing down on the shutter release. You usually use a remote release so as to avoid shaking the camera (on tripod).

Great effort!

What you can try on your next fireworks outing is to get a capture of the background (cranes) and foreground (Esplanade) before or after the fireworks with a small aperture setting.
That way, you can retain the colours of the fireworks with a small aperture setting and not worry about losing the details of the background and foreground. Then you can overlay the exposures in Photoshop.
Just need to make sure you don't shift your tripod and camera angle.

Personally I prefer to see the messy fireworks than the single booms. =) There's this feel of "woahhh" coming out of everyone's mouths for this fireworks scene.

I don't know if it' just me but is the pic a bit slanted? Just a bit of slant.

Nonetheless, good attempt. Good luck in your next shoot! Jia You! :thumbsup:

2 more fireowrks: 22 and 23 aug. 8.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.