First ever profile shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopiosatu

Apr 11, 2005
yep, its the first time i've taken a delibrate posed photo like this (its not me). i was playing with my flash, so i'm trying to improve on the results.

I placed the flash on the floor and bounced it off the pillar of a void deck. Hmmm, did a 50% opacity desaturation, gaussian blur and some quick masking.

I know its not much to tell but I'm hoping for some suggestions to improve.

Eh, anyway... what look am I going for? I have no idea!!!

COL_0074testsmall.jpg

kopiosatu said:
yep, its the first time i've taken a delibrate posed photo like this (its not me). i was playing with my flash, so i'm trying to improve on the results.

I placed the flash on the floor and bounced it off the pillar of a void deck. Hmmm, did a 50% opacity desaturation, gaussian blur and some quick masking.

I know its not much to tell but I'm hoping for some suggestions to improve.

Eh, anyway... what look am I going for? I have no idea!!!

COL_0074testsmall.jpg

If you have no idea what you are looking for, then what is the purpose of bouncing the light off a pillar, do a 50% opacity desaturation, gaussian blur and masking?

Just having fun playing with the flash and computer games?

That's not too bad for a first effort :thumbsup:

...but it's not a profile, portrait yes, profile no...

student said:
If you have no idea what you are looking for, then what is the purpose of bouncing the light off a pillar, do a 50% opacity desaturation, gaussian blur and masking?

yep u said it.

i was just shooting for nothing. just wanted to see the results of a flash bouncing off the wall. the rest of the add ons in photoshop are purely cosmetic. if someone were to ask me again what look are you looking for? I would still say "I have no friggin idea!!"

but then, what are the adjustments needed to be made to change the mood?

oooh ok, PORTRAIT shot. I was thinking profile as in... like a mug shot/photo in your profile.

ok question again. how would one define this photo's mood?

student said:

Trial & error/experimentation is as valid a learning exercise as any other. A student as your nic suggests should know this.

Do you have any constructive criticism of the image, so he can further improve and learn to understand what to expect from his setup.

kopiosatu said:
oooh ok, PORTRAIT shot. I was thinking profile as in... like a mug shot/photo in your profile.

head floating in the air.

kopiosatu said:

Depends on what do you want to portray. For an instance, if you want to portray a gentle-prince-charming guy then this might fulfill the purpose lah ( at least to me ) but if want to show a 'guy' then might be the mood a bit too feminin.

catchlights said:
head floating in the air.

hahahahah yeah looks like it actually.

let's say i get to see the shirt and all that. would a shot like this be better with eye contact?

AngelZhou said:
Depends on what do you want to portray. For an instance, if you want to portray a gentle-prince-charming guy then this might fulfill the purpose lah ( at least to me ) but if want to show a 'guy' then might be the mood a bit too feminin.

damn gu niang eh?

i think this is shot is suitable for girls. :confused:

how do i make the picture more masculine?

kopiosatu said:
damn gu niang eh?

i think this is shot is suitable for girls. :confused:

how do i make the picture more masculine?

Depends hor, what you want to portray. Both boys n gals got characteristic mah. Gals got feminin and boyish type - and so many more. So it's all depends on what you want.

As for more masculine - if that what you want - then i dont think it's work.

As for conveying the mood, i'm newbie too cannot tell u much. But usually this is what i do.
I take a look at the subject, examine her / him and make a decission on what i want to do next. Perhaps after that i'm directing here ( where to stand / sit, etc ) After that i close my eyes and imagine the feel i want to get from it. Open my eyes and SNAP. lol. Dont know if work wif you or not but no harm trying.

AngelZhou said:
Depends hor, what you want to portray. Both boys n gals got characteristic mah. Gals got feminin and boyish type - and so many more. So it's all depends on what you want.

As for more masculine - if that what you want - then i dont think it's work.

As for conveying the mood, i'm newbie too cannot tell u much. But usually this is what i do.
I take a look at the subject, examine her / him and make a decission on what i want to do next. Perhaps after that i'm directing here ( where to stand / sit, etc ) After that i close my eyes and imagine the feel i want to get from it. Open my eyes and SNAP. lol. Dont know if work wif you or not but no harm trying.

for this shot, wan't really looking for anything really. just hope to gather info on how to make certain shots for different moods.

but i think i'll just try to use my gut feeling... :bsmilie: which doesn't work most of the time!

kopiosatu said:
for this shot, wan't really looking for anything really. just hope to gather info on how to make certain shots for different moods.

but i think i'll just try to use my gut feeling... :bsmilie: which doesn't work most of the time!

so you wasn't really looking for anything but hope to gather info on how to make certain shots for different moods?

A bit contradictive I would say ( sorry if i misinterpret you wrongly, my language skill aint that fantastic ) just that I feel that 'you wasnt really looking for anything' but why you want 'certain shots for different moods'?

If you wasnt really looking for anything in particular, i'm afraid you wont get anything in particular too.

AngelZhou said:
so you wasn't really looking for anything but hope to gather info on how to make certain shots for different moods?

A bit contradictive I would say ( sorry if i misinterpret you wrongly, my language skill aint that fantastic ) just that I feel that 'you wasnt really looking for anything' but why you want 'certain shots for different moods'?

If you wasnt really looking for anything in particular, i'm afraid you wont get anything in particular too.

ok, time to explain myself.

i'm not looking for anything in this shot.

but i would like to know how to portray certain moods with whatever adjustments are needed.

what moods am i looking for? hmmmmm not too sure. let's see, there's a list... intense, cool, pensive... etc etc.

so my question is what adjustments are needed to get shots like these? or what are the key points needed for the different shots? eye contact? body posture? positioning of light?

i can't decide on what i want now because i don't know what is needed for what kinda shots. :dunno:

kopiosatu said:
i can't decide on what i want now because i don't know what is needed for what kinda shots. :dunno:

i dont know wether i'm correct to comment here since i dont know much about technical detail but i think it's probably wiser to 'know what you want and looking for what you need' rather than 'decided what you want based on what is needed'
However perhaps that's just me. As usual, there are a lot of way to go to Rome.

Hope you dont find me offensive. :)

AngelZhou said:
i dont know wether i'm correct to comment here since i dont know much about technical detail but i think it's probably wiser to 'know what you want and looking for what you need' rather than 'decided what you want based on what is needed'
However perhaps that's just me. As usual, there are a lot of way to go to Rome.

Hope you dont find me offensive. :)

rome is expensive!

thanks anyway, i guess i'll leave the picture here for a day to gather more comments/info.

its alright, people find me offensive because i ask too many questions.

kopiosatu said:
but then, what are the adjustments needed to be made to change the mood?

The issue comes down to "What are you looking for?"

You want to change mood? Easy! But what mood are you looking for?

How can anyone give you advice when you do not know where you want to go?

cyber_m0nkey said:
Trial & error/experimentation is as valid a learning exercise as any other. A student as your nic suggests should know this.

Do you have any constructive criticism of the image, so he can further improve and learn to understand what to expect from his setup.

I am a real student.

And as a student, when I ask for advice, I ask for specific advice. If you know how to read, you will know that the advice I gave is the most useful. But youmay not understand it.

See AngelZhou's comments.

now now, no need to get all dodgy.

if anyone wants to critique that way, we'll just let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.