First EVER day out with a Pentax

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisalee

Feb 16, 2005
Planet Earth
www.flickriver.com
Well not exactly a day out... just went out to try out what this baby can do :)

Extremely happy with the results... Found out few things about AF performance in low light and the importance of a AF assist lamp :bsmilie:

Any ways... here are few shots to confirm I can click :bsmilie:

2567127401_ae134c8853.jpg

Cropped @ 100% of the above
2567127609_dcf5ff9a09_o.jpg

Please pardon the framing, I was just trying to test the sharpness...

what were your observations with the AF?

what were your observations with the AF?
haha... I noticed the AF was VERY slow, mostly credited to the lack of AF assist lamp! That could be the DA 16-50 since I don't have any other lens so cant say how it would behave :sweat:

But FW already warned me about the slow AF in low light! But if available light is good then its snappy and spot on!

Great pics there... as time goes by, u will love it more and more... the AF is of course what u discovered but trust me, u will get used to it and used it effectively...

Thanks bro :) I already got use to it hehehe... But the Nikon AF is too fast no matter what light :sweat:

Any ways... not an issue

The lens is really sharp here is a wide-open handheld shot of what ever I could find :bsmilie:

2568044996_ace8534d61_b.jpg

Thanks to FW, I got a perfect copy of this infamous glass! Ohhh and yes... Bokeh is very nice :)

Looks you've been having alot fun w/ the new gear already :) And glad to know that you've found some pros and cons of the Pentax cam and lens. I'm sure you'd love Pentax more if you get to try some good prime lenses ;)

Cheers and happy shooting.

So FengWei, how does one get a perfect copy of "that infamous glass"?

BTW, Faisalee, Nice Shots!

Thanks bro :) I already got use to it hehehe... But the Nikon AF is too fast no matter what light :sweat:

Any ways... not an issue

The lens is really sharp here is a wide-open handheld shot of what ever I could find :bsmilie:

Thanks to FW, I got a perfect copy of this infamous glass! Ohhh and yes... Bokeh is very nice :)

Bokeh looks good for a zoom! Welcome back to Pentax family, Faisalee.

Which one is the best ZOOM for Pentax other than the 50-135 :)

How does the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 works on a Pentax?

I guess this len from Sigma is a Legend return, you can forget about Pentax Star len, I read from the review. or kiss goodbye to da *50-135.

Saw few others pics form Flicker who used the len.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterhack/2553385441/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedrek/61400854/

But How about the coming Tamron ?,,,, let wait and see how it compare to Sigma

Are you saying there are issues with the DA* 50-135mm?
The general consensus is that this lens is very good, so I don't know why you should say that one should forget about it or kiss goodbye to it? :think: I've handled one and I think it is both sharp and versatile enough for so many types of shooting. The images that I've seen from this lens attest to it's good optical performance. I'd suggest you give it a try yourself and have a firsthand experience of what this lens is capable of before coming to such a conclusion.

Imo, the 50-135mm (75-202mm equivalent in 35mm film) focal range is far more versatile than a 70-200mm. If one looks back during the time of 35mm film cameras, the 70-210mm zooms were outselling zooms in the 100-300mm range. With the 1.5x crop, the 70-200mm focal range is now a 105-300mm equivalent on 35mm film. Better on the long end but a little too long on the short end too.

DA*50-135 is an extremely versatile lens due to the useful focal range, great focus accuracy, superb IQ and weathersealing. The silent SDM is merely icing on the cake..combined with the low-noise shutter of the K20D, it makes for an acoustically stealthy package.:devil:
I doubt if any Sigma currently available can even match it, let alone exceed it.

It's only weakness is the flaring (only in certain situations).

It very rarely comes off my camera these days.:lovegrin:

I guess this len from Sigma is a Legend return, you can forget about Pentax Star len, I read from the review. or kiss goodbye to da *50-135.

Saw few others pics form Flicker who used the len.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterhack/2553385441/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedrek/61400854/

But How about the coming Tamron ?,,,, let wait and see how it compare to Sigma

Can you point us to the source of the review you talked about? I've seen many reviews about this DA*50-135 lens, and I've used it myself, it's certainly a lens that I'd choose over the Sigma 70-200/2.8 (which I also had, twice actually) when used on our current dSLR cameras :)

Just wanna share this photo :)
i won 1st prize for it
using DA* 50-135

2514457951_2444ff6307_o.jpg

gigahz, congrats. What did you win?

Status
Not open for further replies.