First dSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgstvoy

May 31, 2006
My budget is around 1k - 1.2k for the body + lens. I don't mind getting a 2nd camera, but I don't know what to get. I am most used to using the 450D though, and 1.2k can get me a new one right?

But would it be more 'worth it' if I get a older camera like the 400D or something, and used the money saved to buy accessories? Maybe tripod/ bag etc?

I would prefer Canon as it's the only dSLR i have used so far (used 450D, 50D and 40D before), and most familiar with it's interface and handling. Weight-wise handling the 50D was a bit awkward at the start but got used to it, and used a flash unit with the 450D without much problems other than the added weight and somewhat different handling.

I like taking photos of buildings and landscapes, as well as macros (i love macros). What is a good entry-level lens for macro?

As for upgrading prospects, I do not forsee myself upgrading the body anytime soon. To be honest, I'm really satisfied with the image quality of the 450D, and personally I can't tell the difference between the 450D and the 50D (though the colors seem nicer on the 50D).

Most probably going to end up with the 400D or 450D, but would like advise on which to pick - a slightly older camera that's cheaper so I can buy accessories like a bag or tripod or something, or a newer, less dated camera?

Also, one really random question - how do I store the camera? I don't have space for a dry cabinet anywhere in my home, and my room is extremely dusty. Unless my table can support the weight of a dry cabinet (I have no idea how heavy they are, they look extremely heavy to me), then there's no real options left.

If you're happy with the 450D, then stick with it. Use the money for a dry cabinet (the dust in your room also contains a lot of fungal spores...), lenses and a good flash.

i'd rather spend money on more glass,

and a good bag to protect my gear.

i don't think the 450D is that old,

maybe when a 550D or 600D comes out and the improvement is a big leap,

you can consider a new body, if not,

i think the 450D should do just well for you now.

and i think the 450D may be better for you,

the LCD screen is slightly bigger and easier for you to check your pictures on the LCD

450D, my most 'trusty' model so far.

So for roughly 1000$ i should be able to get a 2nd hand set, and used that little bit saved to get a dry box. Or should I go to those big retailers and get all those random freebies like bag/ extra SD card/ dry cabinet etc?

Or should I go to those big retailers and get all those random freebies like bag/ extra SD card/ dry cabinet etc?

99% are rubbish you'll throw away. :)

Thanks for the tip :p

Was just looking through Courts latest snazzy looking brochure. All the gimmicks like "buy one dDSLR get one compact free" things lol.

I actually don't mind learning Nikon though. Megapixel count doesn't really matter to me since I have never ever printed one of my photos, they are mostly for web viewing. I think even my compact can make good prints (provided it doesn't blur. I feel darn restricted using my compact). Looking at D60 as a contender.

Anyway, will wait for a bit more before deciding. Going out now, maybe will pass by some camera shops that still sell older models.

Regarding macro lens, a tamron 90mm is bang for buck floating around SG$500. (which is about how much a micro nikon 60mm is).

Then don't forget you'll want flash for macro, filter for lens, maybe extension tube or teleconverter for your needs. $$ adds up.

according to Ken Rockwell, you don't really need a tripod.

Tripod doesn't really matter as long as I'm able to find stable platform. I went around asking for prices just now, D60 goes for around 770 - 900, and 450D around 900 - 1.2k. I feel like going for Nikon as imho it has better value-for-money for me, but I'm much more familiar with the Canon interface (and having many friends using Canon too).

Edit: I tried a few models, sony 230/ 330 (grip doesn't feel good AT ALL. Felt like a toy more than anything), d60, and a pentax k20. Loved the solidness of the k20. I think pentax is underrated but I have no idea what kind of models (and at what price) they have in singapore. Maybe any pentax users can advise?

Last edited:
albertsy2 said:

Thanks for the link! :)
I don't really agree with him though.

How to get this shot without tripod?
Skyline_1.jpg

My poor D80 can't do high-ISO too well. I can't handhold for 1/2s or thereabouts either.

Did you see the noise level in Ken Rockwell's ISO1400 handheld shots???

Tripod doesn't really matter as long as I'm able to find stable platform. I went around asking for prices just now, D60 goes for around 770 - 900, and 450D around 900 - 1.2k. I feel like going for Nikon as imho it has better value-for-money for me, but I'm much more familiar with the Canon interface (and having many friends using Canon too).

if you have many friends who are Canon users, and they are the kind who are willing to share lenses, etc (not everyone is willing to share expensive items), you should go with the 450D.
But if you're not going to share, then the field is wide open. Don't forget the other brands too!

none willing to share lenses, unfortunately, unless it's like a get-together photoshoot, where we can actually see what is happening to the lens...

The most I can hand-hold with an IS lens without support (traffic pole, wall, w/e stable thing i can lean against) is only 1/3 of a sec, after that my handshake becomes very visible (I got slight hand tremor in my left arm, no idea why).

I actually considered pentax. Felt the k20, so darn solid but the price seems high. read up online and found that it's on par with 40D.

Oh and reading online also told me that the D60 die die must use AF-S lens if I want AF. As I know little about Nikon, is there a nice lens that I can shoot AF with for macros? I used MF before, though I get more failed results than decent ones (actually, no decent results, my best is a very soft-looking photo of the esplanade drive bridge)

Esplanade_Bridge_by_ArkkySan.jpg

tilted image, i know. Even using tripod also I fail -_-

Would love to get some tips on MF.

Hold that thought, I'll just go google them >.>

Last edited:
It should be fairly easy to spot whether your subject is in focus when you look through the viewfinder.
If not, maybe your diopter setting is wrong?
Was that photo taken with a DSLR, since you don't own one at present?

Yes, Nikon makes a 60mm AF-S macro lens.

it looked okay through the viewfinder but turned out pretty soft. i kinda like the softness, but most of my attempts at MF end up like that lol.

the shops i got the prices from are those shops along orchard road. maybe tomorrow on my off-day i go simlim to check out prices there but i have a feeling would be around the same

http://arkkysan.deviantart.com/

my main photo upload place. can give a general idea what kind of photos I like to take. don't mind my skills, still learning!

Last edited:
Where can I find Pentax camera dealers in Singapore? Would love to give the k200d a try.

Where can I find Pentax camera dealers in Singapore? Would love to give the k200d a try.

K200d hard to find alr.
BUT, you could try orient photo or the other reputable shops. they might just have 'em.

but most should have the K20d still If i'm not wrong

yo call pro can help i don know weather to get a cannon 500d or pen ep1. which is better

Status
Not open for further replies.