First Dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

weesern

Oct 29, 2007
Hi,

like to get a entry level dslr, preferably Nikon or Cannon. looking at the price, nikon d40x and cannon 400d seems to be entry level dslr.

d40x do not have a in-bulit focusing motor... is tat gd or bad??? any idea if nikon going to do that for future model?

any advice?? thanks alot

err...can't advice on the d40x cause i'm a canon user but the 400d is a good cam. Simple and easy. Light also.
maybe somebody can advise on the d40x?

Only selected lenses can AF on the D40x body otherwise, it's a good cam. Why don't you settle for the Sony A100. It's so cheap now & comes with a in-build Image Stabliser. Technically, you have IS on all your lenses with that body. ;)

Got any budget?

Actually getting a camera is like getting clothes, you need to go down to a shop to try them out for yourself..
Best case would be that u rent one home to try for a few days, or try asking around your friends =)

Shoot more, Learn more! ^^

Since you appear to have shortlisted 2 models, suggest you make a trip to the shop, to have a physical 'feel' of the 2 models. As you will be using it, hopefully for the years to come, having the comfortable and 'right' feel when holding the camera is also very important, apart from the pros and cons of the features, which I'm sure you have done research.

Cheers.

Yeah, you gotta try it. I ended up buying the d40x cos i felt the grip of the 400d is too small for my hands.

same here, i want to buy a entry level DSLR end of this year.
i have never tried out any camera except nikon d40. never really touch it though just feel the grip. too shy...
well, nikon d40 or canon 350d/400d. seems like all the online reviews favour nikon d40.
any suggestion where i can get a cheaper nikon d40, as well as the add-on i should buy? cannot afford any extra lens now which is the 18-200mm lens...

honestly, if i were you, i would go for the d40 or the d80 now (nikon, that is)

as for canon, i find the button layout a little confusing, and some functions respond a little weirdly (of course, thats personal preference and after having used nikon for years)

bet. the 400d and d80, id get the d80; but the 400d and the d40x or d40, id get the 400d, by specs, and that it can AF with almost all modern lenses

bet the d40 and d40x, its the d40 for me. 0.5fps doesnt matter a lot, 6.1mp is enough for me and the iso isnt a big diff for me again. besides, the noise control is fantastic, thanks to 6.1 mp and its modern tech

its really up to u, but i would choose the d40(x) cos i like the feel and lens range of nikon(s)

Only selected lenses can AF on the D40x body otherwise, it's a good cam. Why don't you settle for the Sony A100. It's so cheap now & comes with a in-build Image Stabliser. Technically, you have IS on all your lenses with that body. ;)

Sony A100 was in my list also (price is tempting), but I dun like the scroll to be in front of the shutter button.. the first time I hold it, my finger landed on the scroll first and if i need to take pictures, I need to bring my finger back to shoot, not very comfortable.

What are the pros and cons of not having the AF motor in the body?? will most cameras (Nikon) be like this???

Sony A100 was in my list also (price is tempting), but I dun like the scroll to be in front of the shutter button.. the first time I hold it, my finger landed on the scroll first and if i need to take pictures, I need to bring my finger back to shoot, not very comfortable.

What are the pros and cons of not having the AF motor in the body?? will most cameras (Nikon) be like this???

The front dial will allow you to access & change certain settings w/o having you to take your eyes off the viewfinder.

I presume you're referring to the D40. Only certain lenses will be able to AF using the D40. The rest of the lenses will need to use MF.

me too joined in the DSLR cat this year

initially shortlisted the following models:

1) Sony A100
2) Canon 400D
3) Nikon D40
4) Olympus E510

ended up with the Oly E510.
I won't go into details on why I chose this, but I'll share some of my own basic guidelines on my choice:

1) Feel and ergonomics
Get something that you'll like to handle. It'll follow you for quite a while, you won't like the feel of using something which you don't feel feel good in handling.

2) Your basic needs
Features of the camera body that you need and those that're good to have(but not necessary that you'll be using or rarely using).
Lens range could be one of them, ISO range is another, what are those that you need? What isn't necessary?

3) Budget
Camera body isn't the most expensive part of this hobby.
There're stuffs like lens, flashes, dry-cabi/boxes, media cards, spare batteries, filters and other accessories.

Finally, getting the best camera body available may not be best for you.
Get something what you need and what you feel good with.

Status
Not open for further replies.