First dSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinlau92

Apr 15, 2007
Hey people, i was thinking of getting my first dSLR. But i'm realli stuck between 2 choices - the Canon 400d and the Sony Alpha A100. I started photography this year and bought a m42
Russian SLR to play with and i realli like it and want to use it on my dSLR.

Here is the problem. The m42-Canon adapter allows me to use flash but no anti-shake capability like the A100. Whereas the m42 - Sony adapter allows me to use anti-shake but no flash.

So is the anti-shake capabilty realli tat important ? or a flash is better ?

Thanks.

Hey people, i was thinking of getting my first dSLR. But i'm realli stuck between 2 choices - the Canon 400d and the Sony Alpha A100. I started photography this year and bought a m42
Russian SLR to play with and i realli like it and want to use it on my dSLR.

Here is the problem. The m42-Canon adapter allows me to use flash but no anti-shake capability like the A100. Whereas the m42 - Sony adapter allows me to use anti-shake but no flash.

So is the anti-shake capabilty realli tat important ? or a flash is better ?

Thanks.

If your choice is between these 2... go for the Canon. Why? Because photography is more than just the camera body. In the market, the 2 leaders in photographic products is Canon and Nikon, and going with one of the 2 market leaders... you won't go wrong.

How important is the anti-shake? It does help... but there are other things you can do too. Canon has IS lenses where the antishake is in the lens. You can also buy fast lenses. The choice of lens is very important in photography.

Maybe you can do a pros and cons list... and even list out all the available lenses that these 2 cameras have... and can post up your finding to share with all of us.

If you really cannot squeeze in a 3rd Brand, I would say Canon.

Hey people, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

But i realli wan to use my old russian lens back cos at least i can savage something out of my 'old' lenses that i have bought. BTW, i am still a student and my budget is a little tight.

So between these two opinions - Canon and Sony, which would be better ? Thanks.

Have u check out the price for those sony lenses if you want to go into AF in the future?

get a 2ndhand canon or nikon. Get use to the digital work flow. Very different. Save up till u improved. Chase photography and not technology. Sony is exp unless wait for new sony cam.
keep your old lenses when u want to shoot film.

canon, some of their lense has image stabiliser... which is anti shake?

Lenses are very very important.

Sony has Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm F1.4 ZA, Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135mm F1.8 ZA, and a very very popular kit lens among Sonolta group, Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA.

:think: Hmmm....so Canon lenses with IS is cheaper than the Sony lenses? Maybe, I should consider jumping ship then.

Hey people, thanks for the replies.

Ok, i got another question. Everyone knows that Sony has the vibration reduction thingy but how much vibration (In a car, maybe ?) can cause the picture to be distorted ? If i use the Canon, the pics won't be like distorted rite ? Sounds like a dumb question but was realli wondering.

it depends on how much you "vibrate", it's only a camera/lenses. Don't expect a miracle. Main use is when u shoot at low light with low speed or with a long zoom. Not meant for "jumping" around

Ok, i got another question. Everyone knows that Sony has the vibration reduction thingy but how much vibration (In a car, maybe ?) can cause the picture to be distorted ? If i use the Canon, the pics won't be like distorted rite ? Sounds like a dumb question but was realli wondering.

yah, a dumb question indeed:bsmilie:.

neither will be distorted. i think you want to ask which one is more effective in reducing vibrations? or something else?

btw, if you are really totally new at dslr, i personally recommend the canon. cos sony/minolta isn't that easy to get the perfect system. lots of patience and research needed to be done, otherwise, you end up spending humongous amounts of money.

If Sony has Image Stabaliser (IS) in the camera and a Canon which does not have in build IS or lens with IS, why would you say that pictures produced by Canon wouldn't have distortion leh? You are confusing me too.

Aiyo, stop confusing each other lah.

As said, it must choose between the 2. It can only be Canon. Period.

Since you can only use the flash with Canon, go for Canon then. The ability to use your flash far outweighs the image stabilisation, which can easily be overcome by mounting on tripod or proper handholding techniques or increasing ISO. But if you can't use your flash when using your Russian lenses, how are you going to be able to control the light?

since ure gonna flash, you can have higher Shutter speed right? then you wont have so much problems abt blurs caused by shake? usually i got no problem, at 135mm with 1/30s shutter.
using a flash, u probably wont be shooting too far right? which makes it even better.

Hmm.. I would rather use a tripod and have lower shutter speed plus flash.

both canon and sony are compatible with M42, if M42 is main concern, Pentax got best support...Shake Resistent, focus confirmation :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.