First DSLR... sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

viewwing

Nov 6, 2006
North
Sorry, but i'm going to ask a similiar question again.... sigh... but the previous few does not have one option which i'm looking at...

i've fiddled with SLR for more than 8 years... had a minota(too old and threw away already), and a nikon F60 which is still fun to play with at times... but too heavy... i have a FZ5 as my everyday camera... but i'm getting really tired of looking at all the noise when its at full size...

Which would be a better choice for u?:dunno:

Olympus E-410
Nikon D40
Canon 400D

budget is about 1.5k max... its a hobby and not a profession for me... so cannot afford to spend too much :p will get scolding one... thanks!

If noise is your main concern, I'd suggest the 400D. Though personally I'd prefer an older 350D.

I'm using a Sony A100 and am very very happy with it, but I know at higher ISOs (1600) many pixel-peepers will proclaim it to be "noisy". Never had a problem myself, but well...

if money is a problem

pentax is your solution

and not just that, k100d is a very very very very amazing camera too, never looked back or considered anything else

but advice - know all the strengths/weaknesses of every system - know what you want out of your camera
know what sort of FEEL you want for your camera, try it in the shop
that will be best

if money is a problem

pentax is your solution

and not just that, k100d is a very very very very amazing camera too, never looked back or considered anything else

but advice - know all the strengths/weaknesses of every system - know what you want out of your camera
know what sort of FEEL you want for your camera, try it in the shop
that will be best

brudder, one cannot speak so much based on biasness u know :bsmilie::bsmilie: haha jk lets see within his options? ;p

i'm ready to look at other options... but isn't the pentax kinda heavy? its about almost double of the e410 if i'm not wrong...
my priority is as such...

1. image quality - at 100-400 (i'm not even going to the 800 range)
2. size - well... can't be too big right... travelling usage... 1 video cam + camera....
3. weight - depending on the size actually... i had comments that my F60 is a brick.... must lug around... man... :sweat:

btw... is there such a think as bulk buy in sg? the canon 400d kit 1 at 1200 is it a good price?

i'm ready to look at other options... but isn't the pentax kinda heavy? its about almost double of the e410 if i'm not wrong...

1. image quality - at 100-400 (i'm not even going to the 800 range)
2. size - well... can't be too big right... travelling usage... 1 video cam + camera....
3. weight - depending on the size actually... i had comments that my F60 is a brick.... must lug around... man... :sweat:

btw... is there such a think as bulk buy in sg? the canon 400d kit 1 at 1200 is it a good price?

u can get it from cathay for less than 1100 before gst.

If you are not looking for a new cam... go to B&S section and get the following:

1. D70 (approx $500) or D70s (approx $700)
2. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (approx $700 brand new)

That works out to be within your budget ;)

Sorry, but i'm going to ask a similiar question again.... sigh... but the previous few does not have one option which i'm looking at...

i've fiddled with SLR for more than 8 years... had a minota(too old and threw away already), and a nikon F60 which is still fun to play with at times... but too heavy... i have a FZ5 as my everyday camera... but i'm getting really tired of looking at all the noise when its at full size...

Olympus E-410
Nikon D40
Canon 400D

budget is about 1.5k max... its a hobby and not a profession for me... so cannot afford to spend too much :p will get scolding one... thanks!
What lenses do you have with your F60?

Any of the 3 cameras produce good images. It now boils down to the functionality that you require and ergonomics, and maybe, whether you have existing Nikon lenses that you can use. For me it is the D80, balance between size/weight, ergonomics and functionality. For yourself, you need to try the cameras out.

BC

If you are not looking for a new cam... go to B&S section and get the following:

1. D70 (approx $500) or D70s (approx $700)
2. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (approx $700 brand new)

That works out to be within your budget ;)

D70/70s weight might be a concern for TS. But I must agree with your lens selection as have tried it before, very sharp. hehe

Olympus E-410
Nikon D40
Canon 400D

You threw away a Minolta SLR? :bigeyes: Would you like to throw away the Minolta lenses too? I would gladly take them from you. :devil:

get the E410.....it a very nice camera:thumbsup:
much better than the D70s/D70s in pic quality and noise
D40.... only compatible with af-s,swm, hsm lens
canon400D......rather u get a 2nd hand 30D at that price

k100d is heavy? k10d you mean
anyways, not that k10d is unbearably heavy, it's just that e410 is light

With abudget of 1.5k u should get the new Olympus E510 instead only at around 1399 below with lens. Better than old E410

With abudget of 1.5k u should get the new Olympus E510 instead only at around 1399 below with lens. Better than old E410

Yes, but lenses are a bit harder to find and it has a 2X crop factor.

wow... thanks for all the inputs bros :) sadly i did throw away the minlota lense... didn't even think of bring it for a scrub.., cause i left it in the store room for way too long without the technology of a dry box...

prob should get one dry box...

from the many threads... i got the sensing that the E410 and E510 is the better choice. i tried the 30D at the canon showroom... i think its a little bigger than this 3 i'm looking at right? also its a better class... just one question... are flashlight interchangable? else canon is the one with the most accessories.... sigh... how to decide...:eek:

wow... thanks for all the inputs bros :) sadly i did throw away the minlota lense... didn't even think of bring it for a scrub.., cause i left it in the store room for way too long without the technology of a dry box...

from the many threads... i got the sensing that the E410 and E510 is the better choice. i tried the 30D at the canon showroom... i think its a little bigger than this 3 i'm looking at right? also its a better class... just one question... are flashlight interchangable? else canon is the one with the most accessories.... sigh... how to decide...:eek:

If you shop around E510 with twin kit lens should be S$1,300. It's new cam with new lenses and most importantly, within your budget. By the way, flashlight is system specific.

if weight is your concern, d40 + AFS 18-200 would be one of the best... light body + 1 lens "fit all" with VR, AFS...
only thing the cost is close to 2k

Yes, please get a dry cabinet or you will risk having fungus in yoru new cam & lenses.

Anyway, why do you need a lot of accessories? Do you really need them? Personally, I find the Sony, Pentax & Olympus to be very good systems and picture quality wise, they are pretty good too.

actually you just hit the nail on the head bro... i was also thinking about all the comments about canon and nikon having the most items to choose from... personnel i'm kinda sold to the olympus 410 and 510 already... to get IS or not to get IS... bulky or small... then again... canon 400d... aiyo... brand... against size.... why can't they make a smaller one...

for a hobby i guess having 2 lense + a good flash it should be good enough for most usage already right?

actually you just hit the nail on the head bro... i was also thinking about all the comments about canon and nikon having the most items to choose from... personnel i'm kinda sold to the olympus 410 and 510 already... to get IS or not to get IS... bulky or small... then again... canon 400d... aiyo... brand... against size.... why can't they make a smaller one...

for a hobby i guess having 2 lense + a good flash it should be good enough for most usage already right?

Whichever system you finally chose stick with it. For starter E510 present a good option for consideration. The twin kit lens cover the range from 28mm to 300mm (35mm equivalent). Most of your photography needs is already well covered. You can always expand your choice of lens selection once you decided to further develop your hobby into a more advanced stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.